The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #91
Dave

I went to Izmailova market every weekend while I lived there - be it summer or winter. I don't know what they sell these days, but it was a great experience, even if just to pick up souveniers. Just dress warm!

When you hit the Kremlin, I'd suggest at least walking through GUM as well - you can make a loop through Red Square and then back through GUM. Also, on the street just north of Hotel Russia, there USED to be a militaria shop there with some neat goodies. I don't know if it's there anymore, but I once did a reenactment there on the front steps. Lots of fun.

Of the museums, if you can't do any of the others, you HAVE to see the Central Armed Forces Museum. The others are great as well, but if you miss that one, you're missing the main one.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #92
rboomsma

I agree with dave Izmailova market is a great place, lots to see and buy. I got lots of interesting things. But prices are not that good, but they will barter. As the day end draws near prices get better. Weekend is the best time to go, lots of the locals will be selling. Week days are dead.

[QUOTE=Dave]I went to Izmailova market every weekend while I lived there - be it summer or winter. I don't know what they sell these days, but it was a great experience, even if just to pick up souveniers. Just dress warm!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:24 AM   #93
medalklector

Hello and Happy new Year.

I've just returned from Moscow and yes, it was cold, but not as cold as I expected. I can only recommend to wear long johns under your jeans...that was plenty warm enough for me. A hat and gloves are a must. I only saw one official sign and that said it was -5..But it felt colder.

The Metro is amazing, its a bit of an adventure if you don't speak any russian, but the stations themselves are worth a visit...

The Museum in Victory park is a must see...annoyingly it was closed from new years day until I left on the 4th..sigh.

I see somone else mentioned the Armory in the Kremlin, its worth a look. Just make sure you check your bag BEFORE queuing. I didnt realise this, and spent 35 minutes queuing in the snow only to have to trudge back and check my bag. Make sure you DO get a ticket for the Armory, I think the Kremlin and Armory together are about 750 rubles..The ticket will have an X next to the bit you have paid for...I didnt check..and found I had to go back and buy another ticket...Walked for miles that day!!. Oh, If you are going to visit Lenins Tomb..the same thing applies..No Bags, or Mobile phones..You have to check your bag and phone etc before allowing you in. You get to spend about 20 seconds walking through, and then you have to walk right back around Red Square to get your things..

Gum (The big department store on the left of Red Square as you look at the Towards the History Museum is a good place to retreat from the cold and have a coffee.

I walked down to Gorky park also. Its been turned into a HUGE ice skating area..

I went from there to Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius & finally Warsaw & Krakow. If you are visiting anywhere else just PM me and I can give you some info.

Cheers & have fun.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #94
Soviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalklector
I walked down to Gorky park also. Its been turned into a HUGE ice skating area..
Here is an interesting blog about Moscow talking about the Gorky park also.
http://www.moscow-blog.com/
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #95
Bob

berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe
Shane,

May I just suggest to go East, to Berlin...

Ch.
Would you mind providing me the name / website of the dealer there?

thanks,

bob
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #96
RussiaBoy

Soviet/DDR Items in Berlin

Hello,
I'll be traveling to Germany in June and I'll be in Berlin for two days. Does anyone have any reccomendations on where to go (markets, shops, etc) for some decent priced DDR/Soviet goods, specificly uniforms and awards?
Thanks!

Justin
RussiaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #97
Soviet

Go on the Fleemarket on Sunday, but don't expect to get resonable prices. I suggest the Ostbahnhof fleemarket and the 17. Juni Straße fleemarket.

If you like to visit a shop, go to the Thrift Shop on Kolonnenstr. 46 in Schöneberg

Tu+Fr 10-18 H
We+Th 16 - 19 H
Phone (30) 567 300 35
Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM   #98
RussiaBoy

Thanks!

Is the thrift shop open on saturdays and sundays (if you know)?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #99
Soviet

He can open on request. Phone him and tell him Soviet told you so. He knows me.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 PM   #100
RussiaBoy

Thank you!
what sort of tihngs does he have? anything interesting? What is his name, and does he speak english?

I will only be in Berlin for 2 days and am on a very tight schedule so I am trying to pick the best places to go.

Justin