The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 PM   #171
Dolf

Ron,

Thanks for posting it.
As I was saying to Rusty in private, I think these beauties are to be shown, not to hide. You have a nice collection, congratulations!

Rusty,

HUGE and absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!! FANTASTIC!!!
Thank you very much for posting them!
Now we can all dream while watching your absolutely BEAUTIFUL collection, and wish one day we can have at least a half of a similar collection!
Knowing you I guess that HSU is real, right? What Type/Var. is the Lenin? T5V1? Or T5V2? (It's just a guess I obviously can't identify it from the pic )
What about the screwpost RB, RBL and OBH?
A Nevsky T3 or older?
You have all three Glory?
Where are those Awards on the yellow banner to the left from?

Thank you buddy! I'll return often to this thread

Thanks to all of you for sharing your beauties for the pleasure of our eyes!
They deserve it, and I guess we deserve it too.

Danny,

No shame, you probably started collecting these Awards recently, so it will take time, a lot of patience and a lot of $$$ too... to increase it!
Don't forget that Rusty has been collecting these Awards for ages...
I only started about a year ago, so...
Time, patience and a LOT of research, as well as a good choice of the right dealers and in time...

Best wishes and "happy hunting" (as my buddy Jan says ),

Dolf

Last edited by CtahhR; 10-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 PM   #172
rboomsma

Your collection is quite impressive for such a young guy.
I find it unusal for a young guy like yourself to collect such things.
Based on what you have you must have been collecting for awhile.

What made you start and how long ago? If you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuliganRS
Alright gang,

Dolf asked me in private and here to post some of my collection...

This is what's lying around...

Keep in mind that I can't stop bying these things...

Here we go:

This is the BIG$$$ Display
Old 09-16-2004, 11:13 PM   #173
HuliganRS

Dolf: Like I said, its peanuts compared to some collections of several forum members that I know of and some outside of this wonderful forum!

The Lenin is a T5V1
Red Banners are: T1V2 & T2V3S1
Red Banner of Labor is T2V1
Badge of Honor are: T2V3S1 & T2V3S2
Nevsky is a T3
No, I only have 2nd and 3rd classes for the Combat and Labor Glory's

The yellow flag is my Imperial Collection of Orders and Medals (not for this forum)
Then there's modern Russia/Ukraine flag with those awards (not for this forum)
I also have Mongolia and U.S. plus other countries.

Ron: I guess for someone my age it is a bit strange to collect these
I've been collecting for a few years but only started doing serious collecting about a year and a half ago. It all started innocent enough; there was this catalog called Sovietski Collectables (I think) and they had for sale an Order of Lenin, October Revolution and Friendship of Nations but even for that time they were extremely expensive and since I only saw those awards on a chest of a veteran I thought it would be neat to own them. So one day I decided to checkout what the "market" prices were on eBay and picked up my Lenin for $275 + S/H. When I received the order, I was blown away by the details and decided to continue, so I won an Order of Friendship of Nations for $65 or $75. That piece was heavy and simply stunning so I got the October Revolution and I was happy as a clam. Actually at that point in my mind I had the coolest ones and wasn't going to buy anymore. My father saw these orders sitting on my desk and told me stories about my grandparents who fought in the war and how some came back and others didn't and proposed that we collect these together, so we started to get whatever we could get our hands on that was offered on eBay. Several months later we had assembled the "core" collection and we cooled down with purchases.
Six months or so later I found the McDaniel book on Historical LLC site and bought it, that's when I found out that I only scratched the surface. I found this forum and learned allot from great people and here I am today year’s later sharing information...

Some days I wish I have had done more research when I bought my Lenin because at that time pieces like RB & RBL screwbacks, Lenin screwback and suspension, Kutuzov, Suvorov and Khmelnitsky were still plentiful and could have been bought for peanuts compared to today’s prices! Ahh, the good 'ol days when there were 100's of orders on eBay and you picked them based on lowest price and nothing else...

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:27 PM   #174
rboomsma

Hello Rusty

I remeber that magazine I used to get it too and there prices were very high.
But it was the first time I ever saw those orders and started to get interested myself.

At least you managed to get some of the higher end Orders, I see you have an Suvorov 2nd class, a very beautiful piece, I only wish now I could get one.
Just to much $$$

Now on ebay there is nothing but fakes or copies.

Quote:
Ron: I guess for someone my age it is a bit strange to collect these
I've been collecting for a few years but only started doing serious collecting about a year and a half ago. It all started innocent enough; there was this catalog called Sovietski Collectables

Some days I wish I have had done more research when I bought my Lenin because at that time pieces like RB & RBL screwbacks, Lenin screwback and suspension, Kutuzov, Suvorov and Khmelnitsky were still plentiful and could have been bought for peanuts compared to today’s prices! Ahh, the good 'ol days when there were 100's of orders on eBay and you picked them based on lowest price and nothing else...

Rusty.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:36 PM   #175
Mark Signa

Comon guys, take them off from cases !

Make them look alive !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Display.JPG (46.5 KB, 185 views)
Mark Signa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:17 PM   #176
Dolf

Mark,

I'm really not attracted by uniforms, at all!
But I can obviously understand other collectors do, so I respect that.

For me, to put my Awards on Display Cases is probably a small effort to honor the recipients, and because these beautiful Awards deserve what for me is the nicest way to display them.
I guess it's probably the same for you when you display them on uniforms, but as I said I'm kind of allergic to uniforms...

Anyway, they look very nice on your uniform

Best,

Dolf

Quote:
Dolf: Like I said, its peanuts compared to some collections of several forum members that I know of and some outside of this wonderful forum!

The Lenin is a T5V1
Red Banners are: T1V2 & T2V3S1
Red Banner of Labor is T2V1
Badge of Honor are: T2V3S1 & T2V3S2
Nevsky is a T3
No, I only have 2nd and 3rd classes for the Combat and Labor Glory's

The yellow flag is my Imperial Collection of Orders and Medals (not for this forum)
Then there's modern Russia/Ukraine flag with those awards (not for this forum)
I also have Mongolia and U.S. plus other countries.

Rusty.
Rusty,

Beautiful pieces indeed! No peanuts...
Well I guess that collectors who are also dealers may have a bigger collection, but yours is absolutely fascinating!

Thanks a lot.

Dolf

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:45 AM   #177
vatjan

Here are some of mine, mostly Mongolian and some KGB/ Border Guard items

Distinguished employee is fake, of course

Halhingol badge on the left is a fake, T2 is real and in excellent condition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 1.jpg (39.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 2.jpg (37.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 3.jpg (39.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 4.jpg (35.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 5.jpg (33.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 6.jpg (36.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg mongol 19-9-04 7.jpg (36.2 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 12:59 PM.
vatjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #178
Dolf

Jan,

Bravo, beautiful collection! Thanks for the great pics and for sharing the view of these wonderful Awards.

Many thanks for all your help and support on the Mongolian Awards field

I also must say that your "Mongolian Orders/Medals Types & Variations" thread, besides the fact of being an excellent reference, has also been an inspiration and really helpful for my collection.

In the thread I mention above you list only 3 Medal for the Victory over Japan, T1V1 + another T1V1 (?) + T2.
In your pics I see 6 in your Displays! Any sub-variations?

By the way, talking about the "Mongolian Orders/Medals Types & Variations" thread. Some time ago I was checking a printed copy and comparing with Herfurth Catalogue 4th edition, and concerning the Order of Polar Star I noticed a few differences in the number of pieces for each Type.
For example, you list 2000 pieces for the T2 . Herfurth mentions 9000.
Same for T3. You list 12000 pices. Herfurth mentions 5000.
Was it just a typing error, or other references?

About the same thread and also concerning the Order of Polar Star.
For T3 you list a T3V1 + a T3V2 and a T3V3.
As the only difference listed between T3V2 and T3V3 is where the S/N is located, shouldn't it be like you do for T2 and call T3V2 a T3V2S1 instead? And T3V3 shouldn't be called T3V2S2 instead?

Just my two cents
What do you think?

Thanks a lot.

Dolf

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #179
vatjan

Hi Dolf,
Thanks for the encouraging words, I've also noticed your collection has grown nicely, since I last saw pics of it. Congratulations.

Now coming to your questions. As far as I've noticed there are only 2 varitions for the Victory over Japan Medal. I've displayed several, firstly because I like the medal, secondly because I have two with a SN lower than 1000, one with a name crudely graved on the reverse, one was my first Mongolian medal (nostalgia rules) and one is the second variation.

The indications of the number of awards that were given, I have found in the Herfurth 3rd ed., I've ordered a copy of the 4th and will adapt the list accordingly.

The question of the types and/or variations/ subvariations is a good one somebody else proposed a little debate on this subjet, here on the forum a couple of months ago, but there was little reaction. In this case specifically I can say that the placement of the SN is one of the difference, the reverse of V3 is slightly pebbled the screw is shorter and the backplate of the order is a little thinner. Now if that is enough to be a variations or not...? As I said before, I welcome all effort to make this list complete, useful and correct.

So let's see what the others think about this question and make the list even more complete.

Thanks again Dolf for your info and sharp eye and keep those quetions and information coming.

Jan

PS Victory over Japan medal should read
T1V1 Stamped SN/2mm thick
T1V2 Stamped SN/1mm thick
T2 Russian Type Suspension (for Foreigners?/unofficial?/done by veterans?)

Last edited by vatjan; 09-19-2004 at 05:54 PM.
vatjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:43 PM   #180
Dolf

Jan,

Thanks a lot for the clarifications.

Ok, my numbers of pieces are from the 4th edition, so it seems there is a big difference between the numbers given by Herfurth in the 3rd and the 4th edition! An error? On which edition? Do you think it would be possible to contact him to ask about this? Apparently he doesn't have an email address, so I guess only by phone or fax.

In your previous reply you say: "... the reverse of V3 is slightly pebbled the screw is shorter and the backplate of the order is a little thinner."
You mean, these are differences between what you call T3V2 and T3V3, right? So the only difference wouldn't be the placement of the S/N as listed on the "Mongolian Orders/Medals Types & Variations" thread, is that correct?

Well, in that case I can understand why you opt to call them V2 and V3 rather than V2S1 and V2S2.
As I have not enough pieces in hand or even observed enough pics of all these pieces, I can't obviously make any suggestions concerning the best terminology to be used.
My question was only based on the info available from your thread, and the differences listed, the placement of the S/N and the upward/downward curved MM detail. In which case I would be more in favor of the terminology used for the T2, considering such differences only as a V2S1 and a V2S2, see what I mean? Sorry for my rusty English Hope it's clear enough, anyway.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks a lot.

Best,

Dolf

Last edited by Dolf; 09-20-2004 at 01:46 PM.