The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 09-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
medals73

Re: After "You" Are Gone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaestro2 View Post
Ed, what are the stories of these two collections? (Were they award collections?)
The ANS (American Numismatic Society) started their collection of ODM in the late 19th century, but expanded substantially after The Great War, when Americans discovered Europe. All of this was being done as an adjunct to their primary mandated focus as a numismatic society. They continued to add to the collection, almost entirely from contributions from members, through the late 1970s, by which time numismatics and phaleistics had pretty much undergone their divergent evolution. Several years back, the ANS deaccessioned and sold off their entire non-US ODM holdings (they might have sold the US stuff too, but political concerns and the legal question as to how much of the US material they could legally sell -- even overseas, where such sales are legal -- stopped them). Their entire collection was sold through three sales with Morton & Eden (and I know several of the donors who were none too happy). It was a pretty good collection, especially rich in South and Central America and in Chinese imperial and warlord awards (and, in fact, the M&E catalogues still serve as major reference sources in those and other fields).

The McKay (or was it MacKay? -- I met him once when he looked like he was 400 years old) was an individual collection, assembled in the pre- and post-WWII period and focused on pretty things, though it was pretty much all European, especially rich in French orders (including several orders that were awarded to Ney and Napoleon). He gifted it to the Smithsonian Institution, thinking they'd have an interest in it. The Naval and Military History Section and the Numismatic Section bounced it back and forth as neither really wanted it but the SI was stuck with it (it is virtually impossible for them to deaccession and sell ANYTHING). It wasn't US MILITARY and the numismatic section was (and, I think, still is) dominated by table medals with US (only) coins tolerated of necessity. The naval and military boys resented any medals anyway (I worked there as an intern back when Moses had zits -- you would weep, as I did, to see how they mistreated Pershing's awards). For a while, the numismatic section had a few of the McKay items on display, mostly mislabled, as eye-candy, but they went back into their crammed metal drawers that eat ridbons and have remained there for the best part for two decades. They were persuaded to get a few items out and onto very temporary display the last time the OMSA held their meetings in DC.

Many museums just don't care. This has cursed several friends whose families gave away ancestral medals to British regimental museums (over my friends' protests). These medals were later lost, sold/stolen without notification, and in at least two cases simply thrown away.

As far as I am concerned, when the time comes to forge a new link in the chain of custody, I want my babies to go to comptent and loving homes, which means to the phaleristic community.

Last edited by medals73; 09-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

It is very true that many general military or even broader interest museums only want what they want but that is an unfortunately downfall of current institutions.

This bias is of course not limited to museums. One of my preferred areas of focus is Bulgaria. Which was despite what the history books don't say an extremely important influence on the Second World War. Usually Bulgaria's involvement is limited to a line in an entire multi-volume reference book. Which is more than frustrating - even more so when the NATO member of Bulgaria also wished its history to be edited to suit its modern look.

Awards can often have very political agendas and overtones but at the end of it all they are themselves very innocent things that were designed for one person or organisation to give gratitude to another person or organisation.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Bundtrock
Banned

I really liked reading about not wanting them to rot away in a dark box.

Now I do understand that if you have like say, a gold Hero Of The Soviet Union, it might spend some time in a safe deposit box, a whole lot of money in one small medal, at least a wall safe, but even then, I would want it out where I could look at it regularly, touch it, I would wear that sucker around the house and look in the mirror and do the "what if" thing, I wouldn't be able to help myself.

I am a big kid in some ways, that's OK, I have fun.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

We're all big kids!

They are called decorations, I believe, to decorate, not investments.

"I award you with the Silver Bar Of Investment for merits to the people"
Old 09-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
RedMaestro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by medals73 View Post
Many museums just don't care. This has cursed several friends whose families gave away ancestral medals to British regimental museums (over my friends' protests). These medals were later lost, sold/stolen without notification, and in at least two cases simply thrown away.

As far as I am concerned, when the time comes to forge a new link in the chain of custody, I want my babies to go to comptent and loving homes, which means to the phaleristic community.
Sad stories, Ed, but thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
travel-north

Hey, I don't even have kids yet, but I have already thought about it. It's nice to find that I'm not alone You can have an idea where your lovely items might go after you go, but that's all. There are things that you can't control. I'm happy to have the privilege of being an "owner" of my collection while I live. I hope that it will go into good hands when I'm no longer here. But everything in this world is temporary so enjoy things while they last and don't worry too much when they end. That's my philosophy
Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

"We are all made of stars" - Moby.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #18
claretbaron

At china, old collected will sold to other guys,if their famliy nobody love.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #19
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValcourt View Post
A visual as well as verbal "catalog" is essential to my mind (and anyone stuck with my collection after I've gone to the next level of existence). I'm using Word only because I can write as much useful information - including translations when applicable - as I wish. This means photos of the obverse, the reverse and important details that even an idiot can use to do as they wish with the numerous items. I will allow the family and closest friends a shot at keeping all or part of the collection, but if they fail to do so or try to sell the items, they are to be reclaimed and donated to an as of yet undetermined museum.

Sometimes, I also use the ever-growing catalog to remember what I have when I am looking for something in particular.

Phillip
I have a very basic excel catalogue and now regret not having documented more details from the time i started collecting. Lesson learnt! Some day i'll take 2-3 weeks of vacation and will spend it purely on recataloguuing, reading old mails to support that etc

Regarding the original question, I'd prefer if it was all kept together but I doubt that'll happen (unless I strike it rich and can have a museum built). Probably will sell it off on my own terms at some point in the (far) future.