The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 07-11-2003, 08:51 AM   #191
HuliganRS

Vova - Slim and none! The Cold War ensured that...
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2003, 09:10 AM   #192
Tal Inbar

So - what to do?

Stock medals? What the prices will by in 1,5,10 years?

A veteran of labor for $30.00? Defense of Moscow for $150?

I think that the vast interest in the hobby will decline rapidly if almost all Soviet awards will be in the range of $100 for the (today) common medals, and say - for exampke - $400 for the October revolution or a 1000 for Lenin. When almost every award will be in collection sof RICH people, and they will want to gain from it, they will have a serious problem.

My sad notes...

Tal

Last edited by Tal Inbar; 07-11-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #193
new world

Guys,

Chances that demand will decrease are slim.

Soviet awards collecting is relatively new hobby, most of the collectors got into collecting during the last decades. We need to compare our situation to other contries with more collecting history, such as UK or Germany.

From talking to some German WWII period collectors I understand that they have quite a history to tell. German items became collectable almost immediately after WWII, giving us over 50 years of track record.

Well, during those years the prices only went up. Most of the prices for German items increased substantially, somthing like 10-20 or even more times!!!!!

What they have today in the market - plenty of fakes with even the simplest items costing $100 and up. For me it just doesn't make sense to pay $300 for some old Nazi badge of horrible quality (made from zinc or soft alloys), but that's what the reality is.

Given that German items attarct more collectors and demand is higher - still, I don't see more Soviet items coming into the market.

Let's face it - today the flow of awards coming from Russia already stopped and even reversed (rumors are that recent huge sale ot top WWII awards from one major US dealer went back to Russia).

The only source of Soviet items for us in the US from now on most likely will be items from existing collections here in the West. And with the way the prices are in Russia - these items could be heading back to the Motherland.

William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:54 AM   #194
JensF.

Gentlemen,

I think the prices can only go up. As long as nobody finds a hidden bunker with 1000 Orders of Victory and 500000 Orders of Lenin for example there are not many orders and medals left.

I see this effect with my second collection of Imperial German Medals. About 5 years ago you could find "standart" orders of WWI like a Bavarian Military Merit Order 4.class with swords at nearly every dealer. Now they are gone. You are lucky to find one every three or four months for sale. Wait some years and you will see the same effect with the soviet medals. Remember the increasing number of fakes getting better and better.
Like the german awards of WWII more fakes mean higher prices for originals. Most old houses and lofts are cleaned; the most veterans are dead and the most of these awards hidden there are in collections. The few which are availble are at dealers and are on the way to the collections. And you get new collectors for this stuff every day. I have personally "infected" at least three friends with my collecting hobby. Now they collect german awards and... yes! USSR!

Think about every one of us "infecting" at least three others and now think about this in 5 or 10 years. Collectors won't die out, but the (original) awards will!
JensF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #195
Alex Coletti

Guys,

I definitely believe that demand is increasing even for the most common Soviet awards. Many of my friends are Red Army re-enactors and lately have become interested in acquiring authentic awards and award groups. This is quite a change form buying up old rifles and reproduction M43 uniforms. These people are discovering what we all know. That the real fun is in the research!
Alex Coletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:51 PM   #196
yolkin

Order of Personal Courage - 1250 EUR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0202a.jpg (40.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0202r.jpg (24.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-15-2003, 04:55 PM   #197
yolkin

Hero of Soviet Union Medal - 2400 EUR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a.jpg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2r.jpg (23.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2003, 07:19 PM   #198
scook17

How about $28,000 for this one, with booklet mind. I know it's rare, but come on!

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102.jpg (33.7 KB, 383 views)
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:39 PM   #199
Dave

Quote:
Originally posted by yolkin
Hero of Soviet Union Medal - 2400 EUR
At least it has a decent citation, to a Civil War veteran and engineer battalion commander... (Even though it is for crossing the Dniepr...)

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #200
yolkin

uhmmm sure...

still not even remotely worth EUR 2400...

Thanks for the quickie research Dave... You are the man!