The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:11 PM   #811
RedMaestro2

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Nice displays, Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devalcourt View Post
Very nice. These look perfect for awards with booklets. What is the range of sizes for these frames/cases - and do they open from the front (so I can get at what's inside when I need to)?
Phillip
With the Riker cases 6 x 8 inches is perfect for single medals and a document. 12 x 8 works for small/medium groups, and 12 x 16 for larger sets and documents for Stalingrad, Odessa, etc. medals. To give you an idea, take a look at the groups i posted here:

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...groups-12.html

These are all pictures of the groups in their cases with the lids off (you can take off the front by removing some pins in the sides, a fairly convenient system). The first group (Trofimov) is in a 12 x 16 and all the rest are in 12 x 8 cases. Everything fits very nicely.

-Alex
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #812
kiwiussr

the cases are all glass fronted and a held in place with 4 pins, so are easy to remove and I have about 5 different sizes to fit everything from individual orders with booklets (6X8) through to larger frames up to (20x14) as well as divided cases for individual medals
I have found this is a good and cost effective way of both displaying as well as protecting my collections

kiwi
kiwiussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #813
deValcourt

Alex and Kiwi,

First off, your diplays are not only interesting but have settled a question I've had for a while - whether or not to diplay order books opened or closed, and closed it shall be.

Now for the basic question from either of you: where do you find these cases because I could use all sizes of them? Also, can they be hung on a wall?

They seem like the perfect answer for medals and badges since my binders work best for documents and medals keep falling out.

Thanks guys,
Phillip
Old 08-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #814
Tretov

I always keep my order books closed. I think if you mount them open, it will put stress to the binders and "back" of the book, causing it to break after a while.
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #815
EricFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretov View Post
I always keep my order books closed. I think if you mount them open, it will put stress to the binders and "back" of the book, causing it to break after a while.
Gentlemen, may I offer an alternative? How about photocopying the contents of the booklet in question and displaying that with the booklet closed (or not even displayed but held safely elsewhere)?
There are many options such as copying only pertinent info, reducing the copy size, or even photoshopping the copies to optimize the display.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #816
Ruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiussr View Post
hi all

just another couple of awards I have just finished framed

kiwi
Very beautiful your Odessa and Sevastopol medals !!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #817
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
Gentlemen, may I offer an alternative? How about photocopying the contents of the booklet in question and displaying that with the booklet closed (or not even displayed but held safely elsewhere)?
There are many options such as copying only pertinent info, reducing the copy size, or even photoshopping the copies to optimize the display.
Now that is a great idea. Just one more step though: when you have only the document or order booklet (that you bought from "Z...o" on ePay), scan a picture of the award from say the McDaniel and Schmitt book and print it out on a color laser printer or have Kinko's really do it right, then tape it up next to the document...

Kidding aside, that really is a great idea, especially if you are trying to conserve space in the frame.

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 08-27-2009 at 11:35 PM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #818
slava1945

Hey KiwiUSSR,

I like the Glories. Wow! Are they all 3rd class? Great research potential. Alot of German blood has been spilled to earn those beauties!
slava1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #819
ericlida

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
Here are couple examples. It is very good way to display the award and the document.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7F.jpg (93.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 2F.JPG (84.9 KB, 43 views)
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #820
EricFG

Wow. I can't even tell which is which. I'm guessing the inside is the copy (since you'd not want the original contents damaged/faded by UV light).
Are these displayed vertically normally?