The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #881
deValcourt

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Alex,

There's not much out there in print on the "other" Soviet security agencies. I got most of what I know from the Christopher Andrew book: KGB: The Inside Story because he gives an extensive history of the Chekists in the Soviet Union and some information on the other agencies the KGB started around the world.

One practical question about displaying the Polish MSW medal - what do you (or a Polish officer) use to keep the medal on a uniform? Mine has no suspension pin or other device - just the ribbon itself. I'm beginning to wonder if these were ever really meant to be worn.

Phillip
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #882
ph3s

Today I want to share my idea gents. I already ordered a small display for this guy. The mopy thing is I start to think how miserable and lonely he is gonna fill. I need to find him big bros am I?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STA71308.jpg (49.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #883
Roscoe

I finally got my collection framed to my satisfaction and hung on the wall. So I thought I'd share the results. The upper row of 8x11 cards is part of a collection I bought in St. Petersburg RU last summer. I considered removing the badges but decided to leave them the on the cards.

Roscoe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badge Collection 9 .jpg (54.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Collection 11.jpg (54.9 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Badge Collection 14.jpg (44.2 KB, 75 views)
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #884
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3s View Post
Today I want to share my idea gents. I already ordered a small display for this guy. The mopy thing is I start to think how miserable and lonely he is gonna fill. I need to find him big bros am I?
I like it. There is always time to find it friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I finally got my collection framed to my satisfaction and hung on the wall. So I thought I'd share the results. The upper row of 8x11 cards is part of a collection I bought in St. Petersburg RU last summer. I considered removing the badges but decided to leave them the on the cards.

Roscoe
Roscoe, very nice display and it seems to match the surrounding colors in the room. I only mention that because I am not allowed to display some of my framed items anywhere but in my office because she says they "clash with the room." Hhmmnn...

Anyway, an excellent selection of Soviet items - especially the veteran's badges/medals.

Phillip
Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #885
EricFG

Quote:
Roscoe, very nice display...
Yeah, very nice indeed! Extremely well done.
I notice 'Ivan's War' in the well-stocked bookcase as well; good book!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #886
RedMaestro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

Roscoe
I really like those frames, Roscoe! Your badge collection is impressive!

I just finished a new project. I really like the Order of the Red Star because the enamel is so beautiful. I wish I could make a display of them, but a bunch of mine are in groups. So I made a digital display instead. With photoshop, I put together a combined image of the obverse and reverse sides of every ORS in my collection. A scaled down version is attached, though the real file is 8000x4000 pixels (each side of each medal gets a 1000x1000 pixel block) and about 40mb. I think I am going to work on similar digital displays for the rest of my collection too, since this first attempt worked out so well.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ors.jpg (52.9 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by RedMaestro2; 03-18-2010 at 08:44 AM.
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #887
Roscoe

Thanks for the complements everyone.

deValcourt: I understand where you're coming from. This is the only wall in the house my girlfriend will allow me to display my Soviet stuff. :-)

RedMaestro2: I like the combined image, very nice. Was it hard to do? I'm not real proficient at PhotoShop. I would like to do something similar with my badges because most of the have inscriptions on the back.

Roscoe
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #888
deValcourt

Alex, I agree with Roscoe about the "digital" display looking good. It would also be useful for cataloguing my entire collection and getting some of the pieces into safety deposit boxes, and if I ever get to go on vacation again, I'll be able to take my virtual collection with me.

Phillip
Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #889
aironmeiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValcourt View Post
because she says they "clash with the room." Hhmmnn...
I know what you mean
aironmeiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #890
slava1945

Very nice collection Phillip. I like the SVB badge (is its a screwback or a pin needle variation?). I just recently acquired an SVB membership booklet (I also have an SVB badge) and an SVB (Bezbojnik "Godless" magazine from early 1941). The Union of Militant Atheists officially seized publishing in 1947 (I believe) so it's a nice little piece of Soviet history. I'll try to post some of the images in the future.
slava1945 is offline   Reply With Quote