The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 01-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
HuliganRS

Interesting US Medal Group To Gregory 'Pappy' Boyington

Check it out!

Item description:

Col. Gregory 'Pappy' Boyington Presentation Case

with Flag and Medal of Honor Ribbon plus

5 MAJOR MEDALS

This MAGNIFICENT piece includes the following;
Presentation Flag
MEDAL of HONOR RIBBON
NAVY CROSS MEDAL & RIBBON
LEGION of MERIT MEDAL & RIBBON
PURPLE HEART MEDAL & RIBBON
WWII VICTORY MEDAL & RIBBON
AMERICAN DEFENSE MEDAL & RIBBON

Also included is a TEN RIBBON UNIFORM BAR with all the above
AND
Silver Star
Distinguished Flying Cross
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign
American Campaign

These are the ACTUAL MEDALS & RIBBONS of the LEGEND HIMSELF

Purchased directly from the Boyington Family by way of a Sotheby's Consignment

Gregory H. "Pappy" Boyington
Colonel, United States Marine Corps
Born in Idaho on December 4, 1912, he was a leading Marine Corps Air Ace in World War II. He had been a Marine Corps officer before the war, but had resigned his commission in order to serve with Claire Chennault's "Flying Tigers" in China.
When the United States entered the war, he rejoined the Marine Corps in early 1942 and was assigned to the Solomon Islands in the Pacific, and also served in the Bougainville campaign. He was shot down and subsequently captured by the Japanese on January 3, 1944 while on a mission over Rabaul. He was then a prisoner-of-war until he was liberated at the end of the war. He was awarded the Medal of Honor upon his return to the United States. He was promoted to Colonel upon his retirement from the Corps in 1947.

He died in Fresno, California, on January 11, 1988 and was buried in Section 7-A of Arlington National Cemetery, near the Memorial Amphitheater and the Tomb of the Unknowns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOYINGTON, GREGORY
Rank and organization: Major, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Marine Squadron 214. Place and date: Central Solomons area, from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Entered service at: Washington. Born: 4 December 1912, Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. Other Navy award: Navy Cross.

Citation:

For extraordinary heroism and valiant devotion to duty as commanding officer of
Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Central Solomons area from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Consistently outnumbered throughout successive hazardous flights over heavily defended hostile territory, Maj. Boyington struck at the enemy with daring and courageous persistence, leading his squadron into combat with devastating results to Japanese shipping, shore installations, and aerial forces. Resolute in his efforts to inflict crippling damage on the enemy, Major Boyington led a formation of 24 fighters over Kahili on 17 October and, persistently circling the airdrome where
60 hostile aircraft were grounded, boldly challenged the Japanese to send up planes. Under his brilliant command, our fighters shot down 20 enemy craft in the ensuing action without the loss of a single ship. A superb airman and determined fighter against overwhelming odds, Major Boyington personally destroyed 26 of the many Japanese planes shot down by his squadron and, by his forceful leadership, developed the combat readiness in his command which was a distinctive factor in the Allied aerial achievements in this vitally strategic area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-3_b_l.jpg (35.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg i-1_b_l.jpg (19.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg i-2_b_l.jpg (19.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg i-4_b_l.jpg (38.6 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 01-22-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
charlet

you could judge this remark very naive, but maybe will it cause surprise to you as it did with a californian friend of mine in Paris: he didn't know how much usa are known in france by the way of yours tv broadcasts...I'm 28 and I know well the legend of boyington when I was a kid, with the tv serie (bahh bahh black sheep?) with robert conrad. We played at boyington and his guys in the school yard...the tv movie was called here the "tetes brulees" ie burn heads, which means an audacious, fool mind...

From my point of view, these pieces should be in an historic museum...we would not sell the medals of rene Mouchotte (of normandie niemen, in CCCP) nor the Russians the medals of gagarin.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Tal Inbar

MEDAL of HONOR RIBBON

I know that it is forbidden to sell medals of honor. But having the ribbon , without the medal reminds me having suspension for HSU like this:

Anyway, nice group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (26.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 01-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #4
Ed Maier

Tal,

Its against the law to sell the Medal of Honor and/or its ribbons or likeness in the US. It will be interesting to see how long this auction lasts since the guy says he is in the US. I believe, and I might be mistaken, that the punishment is up to 10 years in jail and a $10,000 fine.

Take care,
Ed
Old 01-09-2003, 11:13 PM   #5
Dave

What do you want to bet that none of those medals were actually his original medals? In my collection, I can assemble the exact same case, including the WW2 vintage MOH neck cravat (legally obtained) Navy Cross, etc, etc... I could spend another $75 at a local engraving shop, have them make the nice presentation etched glass, and VIOLA! I've got 'Pappy's' medals!

Maybe I'm a cynic, but having dealt in US uniforms and awards for sixteen years, I've seen a lot of BS, and know how people pass that said BS along as the 'real deal'. (That's why I switched to Soviet awards!)

--Dave
Old 01-09-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
HuliganRS

Dave,

My guess it's genuine... Why would Southby's auction it without verifying where they came from?

I have most of these in my collection as well...

Rusty.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:37 PM   #7
ibaya

I would imagine that Sotheby's would supply a letter of provenance, as proof of authenticity or value. besides supporting "genuine-ness", it could come in handy for insurance purposes.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:20 AM   #8
Dave

The group is quite possibly genuine, considering the Sotheby's connection. I saw Pappy's sword sell on Manion's about two years ago- I believe that was from the same original auction on Sotheby's that cleared a bunch of stuff from the estate.

If the group didn't have papers though (or photo copies!)... whoa! I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot-pole! ;-)

--Dave
Old 01-10-2003, 06:21 AM   #9
Ed_Haynes

If (a big if?) it is authentic and if it is sold back to the USA, maybe this group will provoke the needed legal test case on MoH possession (including ribbons) that may be required to settle things. More likely, however, it will be sold outside the USA, as have most authentic and awarded MoHs that have come on the market recently.

Ed Haynes
Old 01-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #10
mcwirsk

Dear Dave

I agree 1000% with you. I would not touch it with your barge pole. It does not mean that becuase its on famous auction site that it okay. I once saw a Congo C De G medal awarded to the one of the mercs who served in the congo in the 1960s in a very famous auction house. It was rather strange. I happen to have one in a group and I happen to know a few of these boys (officers) who live in South Africa and they had never seen something like it. They knew the guy who it was awarded to and they were the guys who would have awarded it.

The best part is that it sold at a good number.

With the group... if they managed to get it out of the USA why take away the crown jewel...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Kind regards from a very hot SA

Munroe