The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #301
deValcourt

Re: Stuff seen today... Part 1

Dat, those are some really nice pics - especially the last couple with the chain link hangers. I've always liked those.

I'm sure most of you know about these other places on Wikipedia, but just in case someone doesn't, here they are.
For Soviet era Orders, medals and a few badges: Orders, decorations, and medals of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the Russian Federation versions of the same (some are dubious in both, but still useful sometimes): List of orders, decorations, and medals of the Russian Federation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phillip
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #302
Henry Sakaida

The hotel from hell

Please share with us, your worst hotel horror stories when you have traveled to Russia, China, Mongolia, or the former republics of the USSR.

My buddy Justin Taylan and I went to Khalkin Gol in Mongolia last year. It is literally at the ends of the earth! We stayed at the museum there, which also doubled as a hotel. The first three nights were OK.

Typical Soviet military metal bed with springs, and a few wooden slats under a thin worn mattress. There is a toilet in the building...very old and it didn't flush, only good for #1. The floor was wet due to a leaking toilet bowl.

If you had to take a load off your feet, you went outside to the outhouse. At night, you needed a flash light, and you had to be very careful not to fall in!
The fumes were enough to jolt you awake!

In the kitchen, there was a large primitive cement block stove. You cooked your own meals there. There was ample wood supply...someone had torn down a painted wooden fence to use as firewood. Must have been lead based paint! Black smoke and toxic, yet hotel guests were cooking their meals using these firewood!!!

No indoor plumbing. If you wanted water, you had to take one of the many large 5g plastic jugs and walk to the town well about 200 yards away! Imagine lugging a full 5g container full of water back to the hotel.

Now for the nightmare. At nights, the outside of the window sill, there would be billions of mosquitoes, moths, and gnats. The first three nights were OK, but on the forth night, all the beetle larvae must have started to hatch.
Around midnight, we started to hear things dropping on the floor. We had a high ceiling, typical of the Soviet style of architecture. When I turned out the light, we were shocked, but there were hundreds of black beetles on the ceiling. The thuds on the wooden floor were these beetles dropping down and hitting the floor!!!

We tried to ignore them, but we found small beetles crawling up our legs under the sheets, and on our faces!!! I put on mosquito netting over my head, but they were still crawling underneath the sheets. We got up many times to brush them off, but it was a losing battle. Justin got bit by something...he had a big red welt on his thigh.

Finally out of desperation, Justin suggested that I fill a 5g bucket with water, and put it in the corner of the room, and hang my keychain flashlight over it to attract the buggers. We turned into bed, still getting up ocassionally to brush them out. After an hour or so, we were so exhausted, we fell asleep. In the morning, we checked the plastic bucket and it was full of dead black beetles! Our 2 guides also suffered the same fate. I have to give the museum hotel a -5 star rating. I attached a photo of a Soviet BT tank in front of the museum.

We left in the morning. I dare anyone to top this hotel from hell!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KG6_Hotel_from_Hell.jpg (57.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0754.jpg (85.8 KB, 35 views)
Henry Sakaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #303
kiwiussr

Vladivostok visit submarine # C- 56

Hi all

i just recently visited Vladivostok on a cruise and found a submarine from the war turned into a musem, thought I would share a few photos of some of the medals on display

cheers

kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06106.jpg (71.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06112.jpg (108.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06114.jpg (52.6 KB, 24 views)
kiwiussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #304
kiwiussr

Re: Vladivostok visit submarine # C- 56

second groupd of photos

kiwi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06113.jpg (42.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06118.jpg (41.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06119.jpg (45.5 KB, 23 views)
kiwiussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #305
Stahanov

Nice medal groups!
Stahanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #306
ph3s

thanks for sharing
Old 07-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #307
Auke

Including some replicas, it seems...
Auke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #308
deValcourt

I'm just impressed by the simple yet effective display and that awesome flag.

Auke, I would have been more surprised if the screwback Lenin and ORB were original, but the missing enamel on an ORS, and OPWI suggest they are real.

Phillip
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #309
Lapa

Yep, that Order of Lenin as a little "je ne sais quoi"...

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #310
Christophe

Where to find Soviet medals in La Havana (Cuba) ?

Hi to All,

I can imagine some of you have already visited Cuba.

By chance, would you know where to find medals in La Havana or other places in Cuba ?

I'm interested in flea markets, dealers' adresses, etc... Do you have good address to recommand ?

I'm also interested in informations on any good or interesting historical places to visit : museums, exhibitions, sites..

I will be there beginning of October. In advance, many thanks.

Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote