The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Democratic People's Republic Of Korea

Democratic People's Republic Of Korea 조선민주주의인민공화국 9th September 1948 -

Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Documented Group

The last one certainly sold for $710 since I was the one buying it. I have seen them advertised for sale for triple that but I wouldn't be willing to pay that. A Kim Jong-Il order with the number destroyed went for over $600 last week and I wouldn't be interested in paying anything like that amount of money for a defaced order. The DPRK may have issued over 6 Million orders in their 62 years (all but 2 of those years at war with the Republic of Korea) but this does not make them common as the Soviet Union (with a population 12 times the size) awarded 25,274,777 orders from 1924 to 1991 a 67 year time period (with about 17 years of that at war) and you certainly can't find any Soviet order even the OPW2 of which closer to 7 million than 6 were issued for the same bargain basement price of the common DPRK orders. I think that if the DPRK opens up and allows it's awards to be traded (which Russia does not allow) prices will not drop on the whole because they are already rock bottom. I have bought REAL DPRK orders in excellent condition for under $5 delivered, I'm not buying for investment just for fun but how could I lose if I were? I never sell anything.... but if anyone has any for sale I'm buying alright!
CtahhR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #22
Esteban_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Here is an example from an Ebay seller who routinely offers awards with the documentation.

The medal was awarded in 1988.

The recipient was born in 1989, 1 year after the award had been given to him.

Amazing. :confused:

I wouldn't mind it, I suppose, if the seller let buyers know that the documents had been altered.

North Korea Fatherland Liberation Medal with Document - eBay (item 260519709970 end time Sep-03-10 03:41:01 PDT)
Be careful with this guy. He screwed me bad a couple years ago:mad:
I´ve found almost all of his items (especially those documented groups) suspicious ever since.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
Will

Comparing the value or desirability of Soviet Orders to DPRK Orders is a lot like comparing apples to hand grenades.

There is and almost always has been a serious collector demand for Soviet material. The values dropped significantly in the early to mid-1990's as more and more material showed up. But there was a BIG, international collector interest that absorbed the material relatively quickly and sent prices back up.

Such collector interest doesn't exist with DPRK material and, I'm pretty certain, never will. I find it interesting and I enjoy picking up different items, but collecting anything in the hope that the value will go up is a fool's mission.
If it does go up, great; if not, no loss.
But at least to me the trends over more than a year indicate to me that prices are going down, not up. The dealer who just sold the Kim Il Sung for $710 was offering it previously with a "Buy it now" price of $1,200 and it found no takers. So the DPRK field really does establish that "rarity" is not the only factor in "value"; there must be "demand" as well.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I have had a bad experience with this seller. Fortunately nothing serious just a broken pin on the back of an order that wasn't mentioned but he is not by any means my dealer of choice. I have a favourite dealer and he's never let me down. I know for a fact I wouldn't pay anything like Pacific Roundabout prices though. I might pay 1/3 of the price if I was feeling generous.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

The dealer with the buy it now order at $1,200 was a different numbered order. I know because I have it here on the desk now and I certainly did NOT pay 4 figures for it. I'm buying up the goodies but I like to haggle. If anyone can guess how much I paid for my Hero of Labour numbered 1## the result may be surprising. Now all Hero stars from all nations have people scrambling.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
Will

Oh, I realize that it was a different numbered Order that we were talking about. My point was that after that dealer sold a Kim Il Sung Order on Ebay through an auction, and it brought less than $1,000, the next one that he had showed up with a "Buy it now" at $1,200. But it went unsold.

I am, of course, curious as to how this seller seems to have a continuing supply of some of these higher Orders. I'm assuming that he has a contact in one of the DPRK production facilities, but who knows?

Personally, I have not opted to obtain any DPRK Hero stars.
Why?
Well, the military versions are not numbered, so they will never be traceable.
Also, unlike the Soviet examples, they are not actually gold. And again, unlike the Soviet examples (but like most other DPRK items), they are not particularly well made. So creating a copy of a DPRK Hero star will be an extremely easy thing to do. In fact, copies are already being made in China.

Right now there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the collecting of DPRK awards or their values. Here is an example:

Not long ago on Ebay the same well-connected seller we have been discussing offered the 20th Anniversary medal of the Chosun Soren Foundation. This is an exceptionally rare DPRK award, and will remain so since it was only awarded to Korean supporters of the DPRK in Japan. Sessler and McDaniel make the very interesting observation in their book that they have only ever seen one example of the award ! And when it was sold on Ebay, the winning bid was about $225, which would seem to be a truly small sum for such a rare award. More than that, the seller did not even mention that the award came in it's original Japanese red silk presentation case!

So it will be a fascinating future for those of us with an interest in DPRK awards to see what happens with this stuff.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #27
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

It really is a waiting game to see what happens with all of these. The prices on these can be very hit and miss currently. I know the source that the ebay seller has and it's not through buying them from the production line what he gets are previously awarded before leaving the country. When you can get an order that was awarded to a military personnel for $5 delivered how much of a loss can you make? There are certainly enough variations to never get bored of collecting. I am currently attempting to get some official verification on the awards and awards system and numbers issued via political links as for how fruitful this will be I don't know but I am planning a trip to the DPRK in 2011 so I will have some first hand experience of the situation unlike the authors of books on the subject.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
Will

Quote:
I am planning a trip to the DPRK in 2011 so I will have some first hand experience of the situation unlike the authors of books on the subject.
Well, Warren Sessler was in Korea as a decorated American combat soldier during the war, has lived in China for many, many years, and went to the DPRK personally during the work on his book where, as I recall, he was treated as a guest of the DPRK. So whatever information is missing from his book hardly results from a lack of trying or a "lack of first hand experience."
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #29
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Here's how I've framed my documented group (not the largest picture in the world but it gives you an idea).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Group2.jpg (28.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #30
Esteban_cool

Nice display! :thumbsup
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote