The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Democratic People's Republic Of Korea

Democratic People's Republic Of Korea 조선민주주의인민공화국 9th September 1948 -

Old 05-31-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
Lapa

Re: My DPRK Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobeda45 View Post
...Also interesting to learn that fakes are uncommon, I had previously assumed that the China-originated ones were manufactured there too.. Good stuff! :thumbsup
George,

As far as I know, it has never been proven that what comes out of China is genuine... (see the other thread where a long discussion has taken place on this topic).

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
medals73

"Proof"? What would constitute "proof"? I have seen a lot of arguments, assertions, posturing, and assumptions, but little evidence.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
charlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by medals73 View Post
"Proof"? What would constitute "proof"? I have seen a lot of arguments, assertions, posturing, and assumptions, but little evidence.
about the moutains of vertical pin back pieces priced at 10usd?

recyprocally, I read a lot of arguments, assertions, posturing, and assumptions about genuiness, but little evidence...
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
EricFG

Don't feed the trolls. :nono
Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
charlet

Eric, this is not a battle of egos or personnal views (in other subjects I always had a great pleasure reading and discussing with Ed), but from me, about this very subject, this is a statement.

I have ten years past in this forum and communism collecting: I don't like wasting my money on the ground of suppositions and rumors...

Last edited by charlet; 05-31-2011 at 05:30 PM.
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #16
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Like I always say - If you have ANY nagging doubts yourself then stay clear; it's not worth the grief. I know there have been various items on here that have been approved as real by those in the know that I personally wouldn't fork out cash for, as I just wouldn't be able to live with the item. If in doubt leave it out. If I had any nagging thoughts about any of these items displayed here I wouldn't have forked out the cash, others may have nagging thoughts about them and stay clear, it's all part of the fickle sport of collecting.

The quality of most of the DPRK awards has changed dramatically since the 1950's, sometimes quality improves mainly it declines. The orders in particular have been "lightened". "Gold" orders are plate, "Silver" orders ceased having any silver at all in them by 1960, some non-Soviet screwback orders are not even silver but alloy, rarely very early pinbacks have some silver in though. The Orders have been getting lighter and lighter as the wealth of the nation has declined, Orders which were once solid, heavy, silver badges are now light, chromed copper alloy mirror-back pins. I will be getting some digital scales soon and be weighing each variation which will certainly show the "lightening of DPRK awards". Some of the kolodkas are now so thin you can easily manipulate them and some of the medals blow around on a breeze. The DPRK does not have the luxury of resources the Soviet Union did and this is very much reflected in many of their awards. If you are accustomed to Soviet awards of the GPW and you find a recent DPRK Order in your hands you will be surprised, if you are accustomed to late communist period Albanian awards you won't be surprised at all.
CtahhR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Work has begun on the second frame. As promised here is a photo guide to what you need to do to knock one of these together.

Firstly, you need some wood to top and bottom the backboard, I also got the pieces of wood cut that will become the framing area.

You'll need a pencil and a rule to mark the wood to the right sizes (basically the same length as your backboard). There are many variables which are all dependant on taste or what you have in. These pieces are just scrap bits that were around.

The wood for the top and bottom of the backboard needs to be at least the same length as the backboard. You also want it so when it is affixed there is a forward overlap of about 2cm (to allow for the extra space needed by the padding etc.)

The best way to attach is to firstly drill a hole and then screw in a screw and repeat until the two additional pieces of wood are firmly (and straightly) attached. Since I could only found one electric powertool (yes I know how bourgeois!) I had to repeatedly change the bit in the drill. Manual tools can work just as well (and sometimes better). It is also easier when you have an assistant or a team of them to help you hold and move things or just send them to get a nice cup of tea when you're deep in action. You can also use them as scapegoats when things don't go to plan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1Sticks.jpg (124.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2Drill.jpg (101.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3Wood.jpg (100.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #18
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Once you have the wood attached to the top and bottom of your backboard (which should remove a good share of the warping if you have some old abused junk like this) it's time to move on to attaching the padding.

The padding I'm using is an old duvet (since I need a 120 by 90cm area covering). I do not suggest taking the duvet off of your or anyone else's bed unless you want to be cold or get into trouble. Once again to save on time and labour this Luddite isn't being true to the cause and is using yet another electric tool, a staple gun. Use the staple gun to staple two good sides of the padding to the backboard along the piece of freshly attached wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4Started.jpg (99.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 5Duvet.jpg (90.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 6Staplegun.jpg (60.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #19
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Once two sides of the padding is stapled on good and straight you need to cut off all the extra padding with a knife. (ask your assistant to do it like I did if you are prone to injuring yourself). I don't suggest using a sickle but anything is possible if you try hard enough. Once the additional two sides are cut down to size then you can staple down the rest of the padding.

Once all the padding is secured it's time to place the flag of the nation that you're displaying down. Stretch it tight and staple it down to the board. Hopefully you've cut the backboard big enough for the flag (that's the whole idea after all). DPRK flags were VERY cheap to buy after the last world cup (I heard that DPRK won) so this flag which is 120cm X 90cm only cost £3 ($5) delivered.

Then the weather changed on me so that's the pictorial story so far...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7Padded.jpg (94.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 8Flag.jpg (98.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
EricFG

Nice. Can't wait for the next update!!!