The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Democratic People's Republic Of Korea

Democratic People's Republic Of Korea 조선민주주의인민공화국 9th September 1948 -

Old 12-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Bob

Kim Jong Il has died

Breaking news... also of interest to some (all?) here i guess
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #2
GabrielMk3

Re: Kim Jong Il has died

Yeah, I heard it on the radio while being half asleep.
I really thought I was dreaming!!!

Kim Jong-Il, 69 years old....

KCNA states that he died the 17. of December.

Rumors has it that Kim Jong-Il died while on his train outside Pyongyang, died of a heartattack.

Everything will keep on going as it has always been.

Last edited by GabrielMk3; 02-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.
GabrielMk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
Tanknik

KCNA is being slow on the update, although I saw that the official line was "over-work". Too much brandy and too many blondes?

It will be... interesting, to say the least, to see how the country progresses. I hope, sincerely, that a new leader will move the country if not towards full democracy at least to a Chinese style pseudo-capitalist version of communism. The question is how the military will take to not being the priority should that happen.
Tanknik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Bob

Young Kim in any case will probably be a bit more externally oriented by virtue of the fact that he was schooled at the Bern International School in Switzerland. His older brother is also globetrotting (living in Hong Kong?).

Of course, maybe young Kim will just be a puppet held up by the military who have every incentive (both $, power, and the blood on their hands?) to remain firmly in control.

Back to this website, and it may sounds trivial, but maybe this will also trigger in a new order/medal?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I think the most surprising part of this event is the fact that there has only been 13 days of mourning allotted. When Kim Il-Sung died there were 4 years of mourning.

As for new awards... The Kim Jong-Un lapel badge (approved in January 2010) .... and there may well be a commemorative for the 50th Anniversary Of The Agricultural Presentation (18th December 2011).
Old 12-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
I think the most surprising part of this event is the fact that there has only been 13 days of mourning allotted. When Kim Il-Sung died there were 4 years of mourning.

As for new awards... The Kim Jong-Un lapel badge (approved in January 2010) .... and there may well be a commemorative for the 50th Anniversary Of The Agricultural Presentation (18th December 2011).
Don't have my big Sessler book handy, but wouldn't it make sense for there to come a Order of Kim Jong Il just like the gold Kim Il Sung order?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

The Order of Kim Il-Sung was a anniversary of birth tribute to Kim Il-Sung during his lifetime and Kim Il-Sung was also the "founder" rather than a following leader. An Order of Kim Jong-Il at this time would equate to something along the lines of a Order of Stalin being created under Khrushchev but it certainly isn't impossible. Also due to the lack of resources in the DPRK new Orders (including commemoratives to a lesser extent) have been few and far between (No 70th Anniversary of the KPA etc.).

I think participants in the funeral procession will be awarded something already designed, Medal "For Merit" or "Military Parade" maybe.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Bob

Just read online that 100's of people who could be a potential threat to the new leader have been locked up in camps or have been executed. Consolidation of power "old style".

Perhaps therefore it won't be like "Order of Stalin being created under Khrushchev" but rather some more like awards being created/shared like under Brezhnev?

Will be interesting next couple of weeks/months.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

It is certainly going to be "interesting" to see what develops on the Korean Peninsula.

Kim Jong-Un is a very unknown quantity, especially in the west. But at the same time no-one knows what is happening behind closed doors. The future is not yet written. I'm sure all types of scenarios can be speculated to sell some more newspapers or get more viewers....

Do we know what will happen? There is only one answer to that - No.

I hope the funeral is universally viewable as it is going to be of interest to see in just what form it takes and also just which people are out and not out. Will Ri Ul-Sol be seen? There is also the point that Kim Jong-Il was a ruler under the eternal president Kim Il-Sung and not an equal. Will Kim Jong-Un rule with both of his ancestors holding eternal higher positions?
Old 12-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Bob

Yes, interesting stuff indeed. I read a FANTASTIC (but also horrifying) book on North Korea a few months ago:

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader: North Korea and the Kim Dynasty - Bradley K. Martin

This book is packed with so much detail on what real people went through and how the government worked (largely based on interviews with exiles) that it is almost unbelievable some times. HIGHLY recommended.

I've had visiting DPRK on my list for 2-3 years now and each time delayed it (went to other interesting places... Yemen, Syria, Libya, Turkmenistan, etc.) - I may have to pull DPRK forward - things should be very interesting there!