The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Taz

Just a thought/Idea

Guys,
I was just wondering if this would be possible.
We have loads of Threads with the various Orders and Medals.
When we see suspect or Fake examples we post them in the relevant thread, but after a while they become very long.

And now for the big question.
------------------------------
Maybe if the time is available one of the resident experts could work over the fake section thread by thread taking all the points that determine it as a fake and using them , maybe with a small edited/cut pic to construct a parallel thread for example called - Newsky Fake recognition.

Now that really would be the icing on the cake!
I don't mean in any way delete the other thread just adding a more compact and to the point edition.

Does anybody else maybe think this would be a good idea?
I realise it is a lot of work and I do not have the expertise to start this, are there any offers?
Art what do you think?
This way before posting sometimes very similar pics with the same errors we could look at the thread and decide if it is a new mistake that hasn't yet been dealt with.

Eddie.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Tal Inbar

Eddie,

An interesting Idea.

BUT, and this is BIG but, there are so many different issues for dealing with fakes (Such as weight, dimentions, ring, mint mark, Serial number, details etc.) that this task would be an almost impossible to complete.

And what about the books? Some of them describes fakes as well.

I think that a new collector, when he is a member of this forum, is an "upgraded collector", and one shuld act wisely and make his homework - that is to read the fakes section, and ASK. I think we are a very tolerant community, and we will help anyone.

Tal

Last edited by Tal Inbar; 03-27-2004 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Nota Bene

Eddie,

I completely agree with you - the "Fakes" section needs a major housekeeping, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty. Still I am not sure what exactly do you suggest. Genuine awards have only a limited number of variations, but they invent new fakes every day, so I thought it was important to discuss every suspicious piece. I know that some threads are getting too long, and I would appreciate ideas on how to avoid it.

I have a small general suggestions article at the root of the thread. Do you think I should try to write something more specific for every award, sort of like a small guide on what to look for in a particular variation with weights and measurements?

Alexei
Old 03-27-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
Taz

Tal & Alexei,
Thanks for the response. I realise this would be a major task and would take some time to construct but I somehow really think it would be worth trying at least as an experiment.
A lot of the Forum members have a massive Database and loads of Books as reference but wouldn't it be something to be able to click on the relevant thread and see close up details, in colour the points that come into question for recognising immediatly a fake all with a mouse click.

Alexei,
Thanks for the offer to give this idea a go. BTW I think you are absolutly right about discussing every variation of Fake that turns up, that is of course very important, that is why I was thinking along the lines of an additional parallel thread for the different Items and not to disregard the normal Fake thread completely. However if this idea is realised the number of posts in the fake thread should be reduced and only the new fake variations that haven't been dealt with should crop up.
Tal is of course right in saying that there are many issues to deal with such as weight, dimentions, ring, mint mark, Serial number, details etc. but as more than 50% at least of the Orders and medals are E... Items chances are that weight and dimentions are not going to be available in the most cases.

The construction of such a thread of course needs careful planing. This is just an idea for the first post/posts in such a thread.

variations, weight, dimentions
Pics of originals Obverse & Reverse
Points most commonly found on Fakes ( Newsky Helmet alignment, Gilting, Enamel etc.) In words.
Close ups of the, for example Original medallion and the fake ones from the forum fake database.

As I said this was all just a thought if it doesn't come about then it's no problem.

Eddie.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
Nota Bene

Eddie,

I think you are making a very good point - we can make this Forum even more usefull for the collectors, and I like your suggestion about variations, weights, dimentions, etc. But, I do have some doubts:

- I am still not quite sure how can we incorporate this additional information in the Fakes section. If I put additional threads about each award discussed so far, it would double the number of threads and make navigation even more problematic;

- Even when the new threads are in place, collectors will still want answers to their specific questions and will want to discuss their particular medals. Some members post even the most common medals in the Fakes section, and I can understand that - they are all scared of fakes and want some additional reassurance;

- The main page has a very extensive collection of scans, illustrating variations, that are not even included in the PMD's book. It's a very valuable resource, but I sometimes wonder if members realy use it. If they did, they could find answers to many of their questions there. Maybe some additional information can be incorporated in the main page.

I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Alexei
Old 04-17-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
Taz

S/N list

Alexei,
I've just noticed in the Fake Order of the Red Banner section that you mention an Order that you might have looked at before.
Any future update of the Fakes section could also incude a S/N list which then could be continualy updated.

For example:

Order Red Banner of Labour Type 2 variation 1
---------------------------------------------
S/N - ???????? Post # ?
S/N - ???????? Post # ?
S/N - ???????? Post # ?

Order Red Banner of Labour Type 2 variation 2
---------------------------------------------
S/N - ???????? Post # ?
S/N - ???????? Post # ?

And maybe a link straight to the post by the longer threads.

Eddie.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:20 AM   #7
Christophe

Eddie,

Great idea... but it reminds me a past thread :

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344

that has not been so successfully welcomed...

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:03 AM   #8
Taz

Christophe,

Sadly that seems to be the case.

I was thinking more along the line of having a list at the start of every fake thread which could then be continualy updated with new S/N's. Not just one thread for all S/N's.

Eddie.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Christophe

Eddie,

That's how I understood it !!
And my previous post - just a remark because I had a similar idea - must not prevent you to launch it !!!

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
Nota Bene

Eddie,

I was thinking about it, and I am not sure that this idea is practical. Currently, the Fakes section has one thread for every Order and Medal. So if we have a link to a certain post where a certain item is discussed, what happens if a member wants to add some more information about the same item or if somebody posts a genuine piece or another fake with the same serial number - the new post goes to the end of the thread. I believe this way we will create even more mess, or am I missing something?

Alexei