The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 01-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Russian Anzacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC View Post
I prepare to march wearing my Granfather and Fathers awards.
This may be a slightly late reply but on the point of wearing next-of-kin awards the British Commonwealth protocol is to wear your own on the left (if you are in service, you can chose not to if out) and on the right (if you choose) those of one deceased recipient you are honouring.

In the simple context of protocol wearing two other recipients' awards (even if they were father and son, husband and wife, etc.) is incorrect.

I'm sure if this wasn't the case many people throughout the Commonwealth could be absolutely coated in awards. If you have your own service, then a Father in Vietnam (or other contemporary overseas engagement), two Grandfathers in the Second World War/Korea, four Great Grandfathers in the Great War you soon get weighed down just going back 100 years on Campaign Medals alone.

I know this is a rather British (Commonwealth) quirk and some cultures have some very different standpoints on "other people's Medals" but that's just the way we do it.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
andrew6767

Re: Russian Anzacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
This may be a slightly late reply but on the point of wearing next-of-kin awards the British Commonwealth protocol is to wear your own on the left (if you are in service, you can chose not to if out) and on the right (if you choose) those of one deceased recipient you are honouring.
Its law in Australia. You can be charged with impersonating a returned serviceman if you wear medals not awarded to you on the wrong side.

This is mainly to stop military service impersonators , but if you have them on the wrong side someone will be telling you about it very quickly.

There is a website called ANZMI in Australia that is constantly shaming and catching out impostors.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Russian ANZACs

I believe I've seen their site and workings before. It really is disgraceful how many imposters are out there. Especially with the dwindling numbers of real veterans out there (only saw 1 WW2 Veteran at the local cenotaph this last year).

I'm sure that these imposters usually get off too lightly. They all need a beasting from a WO like I once saw an incompetent private in the "Special Pension Service" get.

As a "Tommy", I've always had the highest respect for the "Diggers". Their hardware in Korea really saved the day, whilst allies farther afield were still mobilising.

If people wish to be an imposter these days they can always buy an array of tinnies (not beer!) such as the Cold War Commemorative, Jubilee Thingy or any other "somewhere" Mint nonsense. It's legal but very little more. That is probably cheaper than having the psychological issues addressed.