The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:26 AM   #1
Tal Inbar

"special" order of the red star

For a modest price of $19.00, you get :

"the famous "Order of the Red Star". It's in very good condition, Has a mint marking on the back and the number: 716521. As you know, Russians issued 2,7 million of those during WWII. So, this number brings us back somewhere to 1943 - Battle for Stalingrad! (It's possible to make the research, but it'll cost more than the decoration). Of course, it's original, made from sterling silver. "

Wow!
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2002, 09:32 AM   #2
tinmoldova
Banned

Tal,

I don't understand your point. There doesn't appear to be any disinformation in the posting (though perhaps the serial number is a 1944 issue). Are you just complaining about the price, or is there some disinformation that would make this piece appropriate for this thread? If the former, I recommend we don't discuss/complaing about the prices on Ebay, since most everything there is overpriced for what I can buy it for here and there is nothing new that we can learn from this discussion beyond what common sense tells us.
tinmoldova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 01:23 PM   #3
Nota Bene

Actually the guy has 1600+ possitive feedbacks, so I guess his lies do pay off

Quote:
Originally posted by tinmoldova
I think the listing is so poorly written that most would be suspicious of its legitimacy and price--irrespective of what the scans show.
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 01:37 PM   #4
tinmoldova
Banned

I guess I hope most of those come from other, non-medal/order sales.

There is a 1943 Red Star on Ebay bid up to $33--perhaps the $17 list price for the 1944 Star isn't so inflated after all LOL...
Old 05-15-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
Nota Bene

Things like this happen on eBay. Couple of months I have sold a documented Capture of berlin Medal for $130+, which I have started at $9.99. Felt guilty, and send the guy a documented group worth $100+ as a bonus
Old 05-15-2002, 01:52 PM   #6
tinmoldova
Banned

I wonder who the other guy was that helped bid the medal up that high?!
Old 05-15-2002, 01:56 PM   #7
Nota Bene

Not me, I don't use "back up buddies". Some novice collector, who wanted the medal bad.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:11 PM   #8
CZ
Banned

price range for SU-awards

Coming back to the brilliant idea of Shane Cook: Why really not publish a special section with price ranges of the (common) SU-awards and adjust the prices maybe 4 times a year? We have a great number of famous experts at Art's forum - first discuss and than agree upon a price range for the pure award and award + booklet as well as award + fully researched documentation. Dr. Herfurth tries to do this for the german market and already published the 3rd editon of his SU-awards-booklet with prices.

Such an action might help to stop the **** at e-bay.

Regards from Vienna
CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
Nota Bene

Christian,

I think it's a great idea, but it's going to be complicated to take into account all variations, and other aspects, like condition, repairs, serial numbers, etc. For instance I think a fair price for an Order of Glory 3rd class would be about $15, but the same with a 4-digit number should cost $50-60, because most of them were converted to 2nd class. Also to make this price guite meaningful we will need to agree on condition standards. I am a coin collector so I use standard Krause description, that is rather specific. Many dealers would just say "good condition" or "excellent condition considering the age". What do you think?

Alexei
Old 05-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #10
Art
Forum Founder

This is an interesting idea, but we will really have to think how to format all this data and in a way which is easy for the novice to digest. Boy, you guys love to keep me busy

Seeing as these prices really don't fluctuate much, I don't see the need for a great degree of interactivity. So what I propose is a series of tables laid out in html format. Maybe single page accessible from the main page of the website. There would be three tables, Titles, Orders and Medals, with all appropriate types and variations within.

OR, we could do it as an adobe acrobat file ( although I lack the program necessary to code them ). This format is nice because it organizes large amounts of data very well.

What I would suggest is to adhere to a grading standard like Alexei said. Coins would be perfect, because many collectors are familair with this grading system. If they are not, we would have simply have to enlighten them similar to the rarity scales I post on the bottom of all the pages in the main website.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote