The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #21
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE
Hello & a Happy NY to everyone,

As an intro, the collecting seed was planted nearly 10 years ago when I visited Moscow and then worked in Uzbekistan for a year.

Mark.
Where did you work in Uzbekistan?
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #22
MarkE

I worked in Samarkand & Bukhara building new International Arival & Departure Terminals at their Airports.

We also overlayed the concrete runway with stone asphat in Bukhara.

I also spent a short time in Tashkent.

It was a tough time but I really enjoyed it. Learned to speak a little Russian but it has worn off now as I don't have need to use it much.

What about you?
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 03:34 AM   #23
GoM

May as well say hey here, too....

I've been a history buff for a couple years now (keep in mind I'm 19, freshman at university (History major, of course)), and about a year or two ago my dad was in France and came across an old Soviet sub or ship or something where they were selling off some of the pins, etc...he picked me up the badge I believe the Captain or whatever the equivilant naval rank is wore on their cap, and that's kind of perked an interest that's recently developed alot more as I continue on with schooling. Wow that was a long sentence.

To be honest, I don't really know where to begin with what to look for, where to look for it, etc, but I guess that's what the forum's for .

До свиданъя,

Stu
GoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:12 AM   #24
Christophe

Hi Stu,

Welcome to the Forum!!!! You have found here the right place to be as a Soviet or East Block countries items collector and history fan. Just take the time to use the "Search" button of the homepage and you will see thousands of gates opening!!!

BTW, you are mentioning your Dad who "was in France and came across an old Soviet sub or ship or something where they were selling off some of the pins" : By chance do you know where it was ? Do you have more details ?

Again, Welcome!!!

Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:39 PM   #25
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe
BTW, you are mentioning your Dad who "was in France and came across an old Soviet sub or ship or something where they were selling off some of the pins" : By chance do you know where it was ? Do you have more details ?
I actually have none at all, he went 2 years ago, and my memory is good, but not *that* good to remember where he went on his trip.

Thanks for the welcome
Old 01-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #26
Christophe

You're welcome .

If by chance you have again the opportunity to discuss this point with him, please post more details.

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:30 AM   #27
GoM

I guess the only really thing I can ask is..where do I begin? A browse and search of the forums hasn't really revealed much of places to start in terms of where to look, what to look for, what's real, what's not, etc..is there any kind of starting-off thread or site that anyone knows about for collecting medals, pins, badges, etc?
Old 01-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #28
Dante688i

Hello and Welcome,

It's always great to see a new member interested in the hobby!

As to where to begin, it's really a matter of what you are interested in: from orders and medals, to badges, to uniforms and cloth items - there's a lot to choose from. If you want to look at orders and medals, Art's main site - The Soviet Military Awards Page, linked here http://www.soviet-awards.com/ is a great place to start. It will provide you with a general overview and listing (with lots of pics) of Soviet orders & medals.

I think most members would agree that a great way to begin collecting is to get a reference book - the "bible" of collecting that we refer to is the Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders & Medals by Paul McDaniel and Paul Schmidt. There are several other excellent texts on orders & medals as well as Soviet badges, etc. Here is a link to the Catalogue & Reference books sub-forum where you can find discussions on numerous books: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=40
Old 01-22-2006, 04:40 AM   #29
Christophe

Where to begin ?

The site (both Art's main site and the Forum) is very well structured and easy to use. Take your time and ou will certainly get an answer to any of your questions.

But, you will certainly also need written references.
Just have a look at this thread :

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2726

You will find a lot of informations.

And, if you can, buy the Bible : Paul McDaniel and Paul Schmitt's book :

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:46 AM   #30
Christophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante688i
Hello and Welcome,

It's always great to see a new member interested in the hobby!

As to where to begin, it's really a matter of what you are interested in: from orders and medals, to badges, to uniforms and cloth items - there's a lot to choose from. If you want to look at orders and medals, Art's main site - The Soviet Military Awards Page, linked here http://www.soviet-awards.com/ is a great place to start. It will provide you with a general overview and listing (with lots of pics) of Soviet orders & medals.

I think most members would agree that a great way to begin collecting is to get a reference book - the "bible" of collecting that we refer to is the Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders & Medals by Paul McDaniel and Paul Schmidt. There are several other excellent texts on orders & medals as well as Soviet badges, etc. Here is a link to the Catalogue & Reference books sub-forum where you can find discussions on numerous books: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=40
Sean,

Excellent!!! Our posts look so similar!!!! Are our brain cells connected?

Cheers.

Ch.