The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:25 AM   #21
Esteban_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoZlo View Post
))))))))))

Is It Beria Bust Near The Stalin`s One?
It Is Very Rare, May Cost About 1500 US$.
Zozlo,

It seems it´s a Mussolini bust. Beria wore glasses and was fatter
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #22
JED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirchgoens View Post
I've found collecting busts and statues to be another addictive habit. I now have about 19 different types of Lenins, three or four Felix D's, a couple Stalins, one Voroshilov, one each equestrian Frunze and Budenney, a Kirov, a Zukov, and a couple battle monuments. My best is my Kirov bust: it's a higher-end bronze that's very nearly lifesized. I also have a 30's terracotta Stalin, and one of my standing Lenins is a very nice bronze. The rest are 60's-80's aluminum castings. I find them out here in Central Asian bazaars for about $10 to $40 for the common Lenin, and more for Stalin and bronzes of all types. One thing I can say is that genuine, period Stalins are NOT easy to find out here. Lenin is a piece of cake: I can two to four of him every Saturday morning.

Kirchgoens, that must be nice just walking around on a bazaar on a Saturday morning and finding contemporary Soviet Busts and Statues!
I'm wondering have you ever encountered something lifeseize depicting Stalin like my bust?
I'm just wondering because I haven't been able to understand just yet how rare it would be. When searching on Stalin busts on Google I've located pictures of two, maximum three of similair sizes Stalin busts and they're in public squares in Russia or in soviet museums.

LavricCat, I looked at the pictures of your Bronze collection, and I must compliment you on it. They're all very beautiful!
Just one thing, the bronze bust named Cesar Julius. Is in fact not Julius Caesar, but his Nephew Caesar Augustus.
Caesar Augustus took power and made the Roman Republic into an Empire, which he ruled for about 40 Years. He was the longest ruling Caesar ever and possibly the most instrumental in making the Roman Empire into the ruling power of the contemporary world.
Because of the breast plate your Augustus is wearing, I could see that this particulary bronze is made after the most famous interpretation of Augustus, called Augustus of Primaporta. (Named this because the Roman Marble Original was found in Primaporta, Rome).

Last edited by JED; 06-08-2007 at 08:07 AM.
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
Kirchgoens

Life-sized Stalin would be a tough one to find...

Life-sized Stalin bust? I saw one my first week out here nearly a year ago, but didn't realize the rarity of it. I didn't buy it, thinking $350 was too much. I've been kicking myself in the ass ever since. I think it was some sort of aluminum casting, but I have not seen anything like it since. Lenin I can find in droves in all sizes. I have more than 20 different Lenins. I even have the cast iron "young Lenin", the university student Lenin. Probably one that seems the strangest is the cast iron one I have of him sitting on a park bench wearing a greatcoat with what appears to be a uniform coat on underneath. That one is strange since he's generally always wearing some sort of suit.

Yesteryday, I picked up a 37cm Iron Felix statue (full body) in that aluminum alloy. He's sort of stylized, and very thin. I think most castings from this material are no older than the 1960's, and generally 70's or even 80's production. Yesterday I also bought another 1933 terracotta-type Stalin, but got a considerably better deal than the last one I found a few months ago. I also passed up two porcelein Mao's. I'm not sure if I want to get started on another string of collecting. If they are there next week, I may change my mind.
Kirchgoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #24
JED

Quote:
Life-sized Stalin bust? I saw one my first week out here nearly a year ago, but didn't realize the rarity of it. I didn't buy it, thinking $350 was too much. I've been kicking myself in the ass ever since. I think it was some sort of aluminum casting, but I have not seen anything like it since. Lenin I can find in droves in all sizes. I have more than 20 different Lenins. I even have the cast iron "young Lenin", the university student Lenin. Probably one that seems the strangest is the cast iron one I have of him sitting on a park bench wearing a greatcoat with what appears to be a uniform coat on underneath. That one is strange since he's generally always wearing some sort of suit.

Yesteryday, I picked up a 37cm Iron Felix statue (full body) in that aluminum alloy. He's sort of stylized, and very thin. I think most castings from this material are no older than the 1960's, and generally 70's or even 80's production. Yesterday I also bought another 1933 terracotta-type Stalin, but got a considerably better deal than the last one I found a few months ago. I also passed up two porcelein Mao's. I'm not sure if I want to get started on another string of collecting. If they are there next week, I may change my mind.

$350, that's considerable less than I paid for my Lifesize Stalin! But don't kick yourself too hard about it, because there's a huge difference between ordinary metal aluminum castings and bronze castings in value. Just consider the fact that my Stalin bronze bust weights over 56 kg and since it's hard getting a grip on it, it takes about two full grown men to carry it! If you had found something like it in the bazaar, you couldn't carry it home by yourself!

I still envy you for having access to bazaars where you could wander around and just making your picks among many beautiful statues and busts!
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #25
samleung

Lenin bust - Please help!

Hello I'm new to this forum. I recently bought a bronze bust of Lenin (height 12cm) in Estonia.

Please give your comment on how old this bust could be. Do you know the mark in the back came from which factory?

Where can I buy a better bronze bust of Lenin/Stalin/Marx ?

Thank you.

SL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lenin_bust_front.jpg (49.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Lenin_bust_back.jpg (36.5 KB, 26 views)
samleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #26
ekclete

Quote:
Originally Posted by samleung View Post
Hello I'm new to this forum. I recently bought a bronze bust of Lenin (height 12cm) in Estonia.

Please give your comment on how old this bust could be. Do you know the mark in the back came from which factory?

Where can I buy a better bronze bust of Lenin/Stalin/Marx ?

Thank you.

SL
A popular online auction site should have what you are looking for. Maybe not right at the moment but they do show up. Thanks Clete
Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #27
Kirchgoens

I think it's a later Lenin...

I think it's a later Lenin, 60's or later.

Stalin is hard to find now in any material.

Marx is not common either.

Lenin in aluminum and other non-bronze cast metal is easy to find in a number of poses. Bronze is tougher and not cheap. I have more than 40 Soviet political statues, and only a couple of them are actually in bronze. I just don't see them very often, and I got all mine in the former Soviet Union.

...Brian
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #28
samleung

Quote:
I think it's a later Lenin, 60's or later.

Stalin is hard to find now in any material.

Marx is not common either.

Lenin in aluminum and other non-bronze cast metal is easy to find in a number of poses. Bronze is tougher and not cheap. I have more than 40 Soviet political statues, and only a couple of them are actually in bronze. I just don't see them very often, and I got all mine in the former Soviet Union.

...Brian

Thanks Brian.

How late could the Lenin bust be? 80s?

Please comment on the Stalin bust below. People say it should be fake.

If you have a chance, please show some pics of your bronze statues, I would like to see how the real Soviet statues look.

Thanks.

SL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stalin_1.jpg (48.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Stalin_2.jpg (37.9 KB, 17 views)
samleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #29
Kirchgoens

I don't know...

My caveat up front: I don't know much on the subject, and am not speaking from a point of authority whatsoever.

I collect busts and statues, but I only know what I've seen. I figure anything made in the Soviet Union prior to fall cannot really be fake since that's where it was made. But... There's got to be a lot of post '91 stuff. Your Stalin is likely post '53, but I don't know if it is post '91. By far, the majority of what I see is in various forms of aluminum and made in the 60's to 80's. The earlier stuff is hard to find.

From what I've seen, many Lenins are based on vintage photos, and there must have almost been a "school of Lenin".

I can't remember all my bronzes, but I've got at least one Lenin, the "MosFilm" collective farm worker pair, a space statue, etc. I have a many, many others from various non-ferrous metals that I think are cool including several Felixes, a Kalinin or two, Gorky, Frunze, Chapaev, Zhukov, battle monuments, Kirov, young and old Lenin, Stalin, Gagarin, Voroshilov, Budonney, etc. I just snap up what happens to look cool at the time.

I'll work on some photos later if people are interested in seeing. These things are hard to photograph well (medals are MUCH easier to shoot), but I can see what I can do.

Last edited by Kirchgoens; 02-19-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #30
Stahanov

Lenin bust with text

Hi,

I bought a Lenin bust from Estonia some time ago. There's Russian text in the back. I can't read hand-written Russian, so I'd need help translating the text.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (118.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (117.1 KB, 25 views)
Stahanov is offline   Reply With Quote