The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #741
Bogdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by devalcourt View Post
As for my accent (Bogdan - that rings a bell) the Russians said I spoke Russian with a Moscow accent, the Virginians wanted me to talk like Justin Wilson (who was neither Cajun nor a cook) and the folks here at home say I still sound like a foreigner. Go figure. It's all in the ear. Talk the way you like and everybody is happy.

Phillip
I agree, it's all in the ear. I was in New Mexico several years ago and attracted a crowd because of my East Texas drawl. But when I talked to friends from New York, they said I didn't have an accent or drawl. In any case, I wouldn't expect you to use the Justin Wilson accent, I would have expected to hear a real accent but now I will not think accent and wish you the best in displaying your awards. I have done this in many different ways and frequently changed and am not really totally satisfied with any method but one has to find what's best for him or her and do it. Therefore, mine are in archival quality plastic envelopes inside shallow boxes, not really on display but I can take them out and show them without anybody handling the actual medal or award book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
Take some before and after shots!
Good advice Eric!

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #742
deValcourt

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Gentlemen, I will take the shots. Of course anything will look better after than it does now.

Take care,
Phillip
Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #743
Stahanov

Hi guys

I have problem with my medal display, and I'd love to get some help from ya'll. I got a custom made wood and glass showcase, that measures 69x61 centimeters or 27x24 inches. It's a "standard" case that has two latches which keep the lid closed.

The case has so far been on a table in my living room. I'm moving to a new apartment soon, however, and thought about hanging the showcase on the wall. The hanging itself is no problem, but the medals keeping in place is. That's because the lid doesn't squeeze the medals in place tight enough. As the case has been horizontal so far, this hasn't been an issue. Now that I'm hanging it vertically, it is; the medals will fall to the bottom of the case!

The lid presses the medals against a foam cushion, which is about two centimeters or an inch thick. The foam is covered with a cloth, I'm not exactly sure what kind, but it's not very thick and is a bit elastic.

Now, for my question: Any ideas about how to attach the medals to the cloth/foam underneath? The attachment should be easy and accurate enough for me to do, so that I can get the medals in a straight line relative to one another.

Thanks!
Stah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (111.8 KB, 92 views)
Stahanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #744
Tretov

Stahanov, how about attaching small strips of a foam material by glue to the red board, and then just attach the awards to these strips using their needles?
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #745
EricFG

How about just using the pins already in place on the suspensions?
See my post: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...html#post54421
After that I went to thumbtacks against a hard background: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...html#post55611
Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #746
Stahanov

I thought about attaching the medals straight on the fabric. Getting them in a straight row could be difficult with that, however, and I wouldn't want to ruin the fabric with the thick needles of the suspensions. I was wondering if the suspensions could be rigged into place with pins or something? Further ideas?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #747
jefflgarrison

Nailgun or pneumatic stapler! Some finish nailers can have the depth set so that the nail doesn't protrude! It's an idea. Probably not a good one.

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
jefflgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM   #748
NTAT

Stahanov,
I've had this problem before using a similar style case. The way I handled it was as follows:

First take exact measurements on how big your existing piece of cloth is in your current display case. Once you have them pay a visit to your local sewing goods or craft store and purchase a matching color of cloth. Then have them cut it to your specs or take it home and cut it yourself. Once at home simply insert the cloth over or underneath your existing cloth.

This added piece acts as a spacer and takes up the excess room between the foam core and the glass. This helps secure the medals better because it's a tighter fit. Therefore, it holds them in place. To get it just right you might have to add or subtract more spacers or add spacers underneath the foam core. I think handling it this way could solve your problem.

NTAT

Last edited by NTAT; 04-22-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Left a word out
NTAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #749
Stahanov

NTAT, great idea! I'll put that into action at once. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #750
deValcourt

I have great shadow boxes all set up with the medals and badges in position for me to affix them. BUT, as I keep doing research and finding out more details and little intricacies about the designs of various soviet medals, badges and pins, I keep wanting to take them out and have a good look at them to check for these "things" I keep finding out about. A short term solution was put forward by Eric in his You Tube shorts (knowing how to insert a link here would be nice ).

Thanks Eric - I ordered about a hundred different sleeves from one of the sellers you recommended and have been sorting and rearranging documents and medals for about a week now.

The six pocket sleeves work well enough for now to hold medals so that I can look at front and back (or just remove them). You have to watch putting the binders flat because smaller IDs and the medals at the tops of pages tend to want to fall out when turning pages, but overall, a great place to have everything safe while you decide how to display things.

I did finally sort out one 2" binder full of documents (certificates and the occasional Order to wipe out a rebellious collective by hanging over 100 farm workers - Lenin wasn't always a nice man) and WWII IDs just for security agencies. The sleeves seem to work great for the nearly disintergrating paper. Thanks again to Eric for the idea.

I can at least see one of my desks again in my office!

Take care guys,
Phillip