The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #81
new world

Dave,

I really liked those cases from the dealers!!!

How do you hang them on the wall - are there loops for hanging?

William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #82
Dolf

William,

If you read carefully what's in the Home page of Indian River you'll find the answer to your question
Yes, there are special frame hangers to hang these Cases to the wall.

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:06 AM   #83
Robert Pierce

Dave,
I really like your Indian River Display Cases. And I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Riker Mounts that are so common amongst the medals collectors. I store my medals in these type display cases and stick them away out of sunlight in a large lockbox. I do have some under glass on the wall as well. I do plan on buying a very nice upright multi-shelved (artificially illuminated) wooden display case and coffee table display case made by Vaughan Furniture Company: http://www.vaughanfurniture.com/ They are beautiful. And the medals don't get exposed too badly by direct sunlight this way (this can fade the ribbons over time). The only problem I have with the Riker Mounts is the continual bouncing and banging of the medals against the glass when you are handling them. So I place the enamelled pieces face-down in the Mounts for preservation. I like Dave's cases because there is ample room between the medals and the glass front. The Vaughan upright furniture display case has a built-in gun rack at both ends for storing your Mosants. I hunted hard trying to find something that would enhance my collection in a nice wood furnishing. I found it.

Robert
Robert Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:47 AM   #84
new world

Hello Robert,

Can you tell us more about Riker Mounts displays?

Thank you,
William
Old 01-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #85
Ed_Haynes

Riker mounts? Marvelous things.

Those black cardboard, glass-topped cases I associate with insect collections (but, then, my wife is an entomologist -- more on that below).

See illustration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riker.jpg (17.4 KB, 57 views)
Ed_Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #86
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Haynes
Riker mounts? Marvelous things.

Those black cardboard, glass-topped cases I associate with insect collections (but, then, my wife is an entomologist -- more on that below).

See illustration.
Thanks Ed,

Now I see what they are.

These are also referred to as "Butterfly boxes".

William
Old 01-04-2004, 09:09 AM   #87
Ed_Haynes

If, IF, you get high quality, museum-quality cases, with clips for the edges not pins (which is how they often come), I think you have a good way to store medals. My only conmcern is for "deep" awards, they (and their sometimes-fragile enamel) may come into contact with the inside of the glass and, sometimes, be under pressure. (This concern has been addressed earlier in this thread.)

But I do use them for my collection. (An EXTREMELY poor-quality photo is attached -- I should be, and am, ashamed!)

As my wife is an entomologist, I get museum-quality mounts (fewer nasty chemicals to disturb the buggies or gongs) from:

http://bioquip.com/

Catalogue in PDF so cranky to use. Riker mounts page 12. (And the clips are very much worth it!)

Some breakage in shipping should be expected.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg singles06.jpg (35.0 KB, 79 views)
Ed_Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:33 PM   #88
Dave

I had my collection in riker mounts for a while, but then switched to the Indian River cases. The reason that I didn't care for the rikers was because they didn't hold the medals in place very well, especially when placed in a vertical position. The reason for this is that the rear of the mount tends to "bow" when force is applied, and the awards aren't kept in place. Since the IR mounts are made of wood, they are sturdier and allow the pressure of the glass to keep the awards upright.

That said though, if I lived in a place where I couldn't display my medals, and I simply wanted to store them in a protected envrionment where I could take them out and look at them on occasion, I'd definately buy the riker mounts. I actually had several dozen of these that I had purchased over the years by the case, and sold them about six months ago to a fellow forum member.

They are a good option, just depending on what you need them for.

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #89
Dolf

Robert,

"The only problem I have with the Riker Mounts is the continual bouncing and banging of the medals against the glass when you are handling them. ... I like Dave's cases because there is ample room between the medals and the glass front."

I have one question: If not fixed by the pressure of the glass, how do the Awards stay in place with those Riker Mounts? With Velcro, as I've seen some manufacturers of different Display Cases do? Or with clips (which kind? how do they work? can't see them on your pic!), as I believe it is mentionned by Ed.

Indian River Cases (Dave's Cases) : There is no room at all between the medals and the glass! Mine has 2" depth, equal to 5.0802 cm (and I believe it's the case for Dave's ones), so the Awards are fixed to the foam or the Velvet exactly by the pressure of glass against them!

One last question: I checked the link to those Riker Mounts dealer, and noticed the depth for all of them is 3/4". Is this three quarters of an inch? So in "cm" that would be?...
Anyway, if with a 2" depth the Awards are under pressure of the glass, with a 3/4" in theory the pressure would be much higher, right?

Thanks a lot,

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #90
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf
IIndian River Cases (Dave's Cases) : There is no room at all between the medals and the glass! Mine has 2" depth, equal to 5.0802 cm (and I believe it's the case for Dave's ones), so the Awards are fixed to the foam or the Velvet exactly by the pressure of glass against them!

One last question: I checked the link to those Riker Mounts dealer, and noticed the depth for all of them is 3/4". Is this three quarters of an inch? So in "cm" that would be?...
Anyway, if with a 2" depth the Awards are under pressure of the glass, with a 3/4" in theory the pressure would be much higher, right?
Concur- There is no room between the award and the glass, thus the reason why I like the IR frames. While I've been asked about that damaging the award, think about what Soviet awards that you know of that have enamel on the highest point of the award. The only one that's even debateable is the banner on the October Revolution... All the others have metal touching the glass. Last I checked, I don't think glass is going to hurt silver/gold/platinum! Also, the glass very nicely holds documents of varying thickness in place. I can have a general's ID book (quite thick) right next to a single page document, and have them both held into place nicely.

Since the frames are 2" deep (actually they aren't that deep, that's the actual depth of the frame) I can also hold the Homeland awards right next to a regular medal or document, and not have any problems with "slippage".

3/4" equates to just over 19mm. There is more pressure under the glass of an Indian River case because it is in a wood frame with a wood backing. The riker mount is made of cardboard, and thus will "bend" under pressure, which, in turn, takes pressure off of nearby areas causing slippage (if that makes sense). Let me try to get a picture of what I mean this evening.

One good other purpose that I remembered for the riker mounts (and what I use the six I kept for) is storing bits of ribbon, metal kolodki, etc... They stack well, and with the glass top, I can see what I'm getting at.

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote