The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Eryk

"Comes with original silver screwback plate..."

A couple of questions for those of you have handled hundreds of screwback awards, rather than my lowly couple of dozen. First, are all screwposts for a given order the same diameter and thread? Say, for all the millions of Red Stars. Or are there legitimate differences? (Common sense tells me that of course there are differences, but common sense has been wrong before...) I ask because screwplates are not 100% interchangable; so obviously the size/thread is different. Second, is there any data on the weight of silver vs alloy screwback plates? Weighing what I have there are large differences in weights; from 6 grams to almost 13 grams. Any 'lineage' of the plates?

Lastly, does anyone actually believe the "comes with the original silver screwback plate" statement some sellers make? I mean talking about suspensions is bad enough... the plates are made to come off, practically begging to be mixed up! (But to show how neurotic I am, all mine are marked with little sticky tags with the s/n of their order. )
Old 09-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Yeti

Re: "Comes with original silver screwback plate..."

Well I don't have many silver plates but the ones in my collection are 9g. The steel plates vary too much in thickness and construction that I have not checked.

Take a look at mondvors site, Order of the red star page four. Consecutive orders with different diameter of the screw.

Erik
Old 09-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Bogdan

Eryk,

You are not the only "neurotic" one concerning screwback plates. I did the same thing with mine, using envelope labels cut to fit. I have heard (from an ultra-purist) that this might leave some of the adhesive on the plate so I converted to string tags. I had to untie the string and put one end through the screwpost hole, then retie the ends. Now thats neurotic!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Kirchgoens

It's tough to know if it's the "original" or just the correct type for that one originally. Maybe if you know the family and got the award from them, it might be?

As for weights on the steel ones, I'm not sure. Back at home I have a bag with a couple hundred of them in it (my "spares" bag), but as Yeti noted, there's a bit of variety so I never bothered to categorize them.

Slight differences thread/diamater? Yes, it does happen, and it seems almost inexplicable. Most are very standard, but I have encountered an occasional ORS that was slightly smaller or larger than the norm, and had to really go through my spares bag to find a good fit.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Nota Bene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
A couple of questions for those of you have handled hundreds of screwback awards, rather than my lowly couple of dozen. First, are all screwposts for a given order the same diameter and thread?
Eryk,

The answer is no, there are lots of shapes, sizes and variations, and a screwplate from an early BOH will not fit a "mirror reverse" RB. Diameters and threads also differ among manufactures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
Lastly, does anyone actually believe the "comes with the original silver screwback plate" statement some sellers make?
Good point. Strictly speaking, "comes with a correct period screwplate" would be preferable.

Alexei
Old 09-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Bogdan

On the "original" part of this, I agree with you Alexei on the "comes with a correct period screwplate". This sounds more like something I would believe. I have learned to read descriptions on sales or auction sites very carefully and if it sounds a little off or confusing, I stay away from purchasing unless I purchase from a reputable seller who has an acceptable return policy.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Nota Bene

I have to admit that in my selling days I used to use this very phrase without giving it much though. Lesson learned, maybe too late in my case.

Alexei
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #8
Eryk

Wasn’t indicting anyone with the question. And most certainly not you Alexei! It was prompted by a recent description on a site and realizing that it’s not really verifiable. It was kind of a joke, really, given the debates about suspensions. I’d never thought of it before because it’s such a non-issue. My concern was on screwpost sizes (typing that I shudder at what geek I’ve become…) as an indicator of authenticity. I don’t collect much compared to most, but I want zero fakes, so try to be ruthless in pursuing any hint of it in my pieces.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
Bogdan

I guess whether the screwback plates were the original ones or not when I purchased my screwbacks was not the main thing on my mind. My main concern was authenticity of the piece itself, then keeping what I bought together. I really didn't think of whether or not it was the original one with the award, I just wanted to keep the piece together. Like Eryk said, it is not really verifiable so the point is really moot. As I have never purchased a screwback award without the plate, I do not have any spare plates but if I do purchase one like that, I am inclined to not replace the plate but I will keep the possibility open.

Alexei, don't sweat the small stuff. I have seen your ads when you were a seller and if I was buying then, which at the time I wasn't due to several reasons, I would have gladly bought from you.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #10
Nota Bene

Well, of course it's a minor thing, but still it's a good point and something that every seller should keep in mind before making such a claim I just wished I thought of it earlier.

Alexei