The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Sergei

Re-enacting

I have never done any re-enacting, I guess I am just too lazy to move about.
What do people think about it? We have, as far as I know, a member of the Forum who owns the vehicle shown. Sounds like a great way to preserve historical artifacts in their fully functioning form?
The writing on the wing says "For Motherland"
(sorry for stealing the picture from a museum website )

Sergei
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gazik1.jpg (39.3 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
EricFG

Re: Re-enacting

I think that if I lived somewhere, like a big city, where there might be a lot of fellow enthusiasts I might like to hang out with the group. And if I had the dough (money) to buy the fake uniforms, weapons and medals I might join in in the fun. It could be a good time.
Then on the other hand it does seem a bit nerdy.

So, I would be on the fence, as it were.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Al-muell

Well, for over a year now I am the part of a re-enactment group (of the Polish Army in the East unit from 1944-1945), and so far I must say there are many reenactors, for whom it's just another way to get away from their wifes and drink in their own company. However, all depends on people. We for example concentrate less on the battle reenactment, but rather on organizing excersises in the conditions adequate for the unit and period - this means not only sleeping "soviet way" (4 people in a tent made of 4 capes, with sproce branches on the floor and overcoats to sleep under), but also eating the food that was available there, walking long distances in that somewhat uncomfortable soviet footwear as well as a bit of tactics from the era. Also sthings others don't do - working underground without (or with very limited light), or at heavy frost (of course using the era or era-like ski) I must say we werequite successful, as one of such excersises was even described in a country-wide magazine.
I must say such experiences make you think that the people back there were somewhat different - with greater strenght and endurance.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
travel-north

That sounds like pretty cool stuff what you guys do.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-muell View Post
Well, for over a year now I am the part of a re-enactment group (of the Polish Army in the East unit from 1944-1945), and so far I must say there are many reenactors, for whom it's just another way to get away from their wifes and drink in their own company. However, all depends on people. We for example concentrate less on the battle reenactment, but rather on organizing excersises in the conditions adequate for the unit and period - this means not only sleeping "soviet way" (4 people in a tent made of 4 capes, with sproce branches on the floor and overcoats to sleep under), but also eating the food that was available there, walking long distances in that somewhat uncomfortable soviet footwear as well as a bit of tactics from the era. Also sthings others don't do - working underground without (or with very limited light), or at heavy frost (of course using the era or era-like ski) I must say we werequite successful, as one of such excersises was even described in a country-wide magazine.
I must say such experiences make you think that the people back there were somewhat different - with greater strenght and endurance.
Now this is a different approach than any I have heard of before - and I like it. It would certainly give one a whole new perspective on just what it was like for the average soldier during WWII. [Just among us forum folk, the Russians - especially my surrogate "mother" - used to refer to me as a classic example of a "soft American" because I happened to like, and still do, my creature comforts.]

I don't think it is so much that people were any different during the 1930s-50s so much as the available "comforts" such as well-fitting, scientifically studied and created combat boots, winter clothing lined with Thinsulate and other, newer, drier/waterproof materials, MREs (some with Tabasco and/or "Cajun" seasoning packets), etc. Granted, while stuck at the border guard train station in Kiev one bizarre night I lived far more like my ancestors than I would ever care to do again - sorry, no more specifics than that, but outside of that, I think we are simply products of our products - so to speak.

Phillip
Old 10-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Shvakova

I havn't been on here for a while and just found the picture of my Gaz! She is a Gaz 67b, 1943. She is shown at the Davidstow Airfield and Cornwall at War Museum, a couple of years ago I think. I am a re-enactor and I represent a Red Army female sniper of the of the Great Patriotic War and also have a display of Russian weapons (all GPW dated) along with Russian tent and encampment. Based in Cornwall I don't drive the Gaz much further than West Devon ( 40 miles an hour and 15mpg!) but I have travelled with my display to Taunton and Dunkeswell. I enjoy the reenacting and have met lots of interesting people, the public always say that they do not see many Russian reenactors so it is nice to be able to put across that side of things.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
ade stevenson

I have been re-enacting the Red Army since 2001.

Only returned home from an event last night. I will show some pics later. We had two ZIS 3's on our display.

It is a great hobby.

Have a look at the link in my signature to our unit's website. Our group is officially recognised by the Russian and Belarus Embassies in the UK and we do events with them.

Here is a pic from yesterday. I am the one with the slung PPS.

Cheers, Ade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (104.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I don't know if it's the angle of the picture but it doesn't look like you have a very good LOS there.

No radio or field-telephone - Looks like you need some re-enactment linemen to assist the spotters.

Nice to see the team hasn't gone the way of many "re-enactors" and coated themselves with awards. An issue also found in many films and tv productions. "Brezhnev Syndrome".
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Al-muell

Radio would be a rare thing to have. I believe that in the Red Army the only radio and/or field telephone would be in the battery commander's command post - from there couriers would be sent. A reliable communications were a big problem in the Red Army - in the infantry there was usually one radio for a company.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

That'll make this little bit of paper that bit sweeter then - http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...tml#post205589