The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
Henry Sakaida

Question For Collectors.

I've heard that the Ukrainian Government last year passed a new law which outlaws Communist symbols and even praise for the old Soviet Union. Does this mean that an old veteran can't wear his Order of Lenin or other Soviet medals? I am wondering if this is why we are starting to see Soviet orders and medals coming out of Ukraine. Perhaps the Ukrainians there have contempt for the Russians due to the problems in Donbass, and want to get rid of grandpa's medals, and at the same time, get some money because their economy is in a mess.

And secondly, I noticed that while HSUs are a hot item, not many collectors seem interested in the Hero of Soviet Labor medals and Order of Glory I unless it is a cavalier set. Am I mistaken about this or do you feel the same way?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Question For Collectors.

Henry, yes - the Ukrainian law is driven as a reaction to the Russian invasions.

HSLs have never been as popular as HSU or other military decorations.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
Bill Garvy
Comrade Curmudgeon

If I may contribute to this discussion, gentlemen, there are no singularities. Socioeconomic conditions in both Ukraine and Russia are fueling market conditions and availability of heretofore unobtainable items. Sources in Ukraine obtain many of the items being marketed and sold from sources in Russia. The market for civilian labor orders and medals is indeed a niche market. HSU's are as over-valued as HSL's are undervalued, at least from my perspective.

Last edited by Bill Garvy; 03-22-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
slava1stclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Sakaida View Post
And secondly, I noticed that while HSUs are a hot item, not many collectors seem interested in the Hero of Soviet Labor medals and Order of Glory I unless it is a cavalier set. Am I mistaken about this or do you feel the same way?

Thanks!
Henry,

I view it differently. Order of Glory First Class awards remain very desirable - whether linked to a complete Full Cavalier set or not. As an example, in the western market single OGIs generally command higher asking prices than the HSU Gold Star Medal (GSM). This can be explained by their relative rarity (when compared to HSU GSMs) and their trademark (and exclusive) tactical-level combat nature.

That said, a complete Full Cavalier set will always command a premium over a loose OGI; even more so if accompanied by the Ordenskaya Knizhka or Kaverlerskaya Knizhka.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Last edited by slava1stclass; 03-22-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Pobeda45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Sakaida View Post
I've heard that the Ukrainian Government last year passed a new law which outlaws Communist symbols and even praise for the old Soviet Union. Does this mean that an old veteran can't wear his Order of Lenin or other Soviet medals?
The law actually makes exceptions for veterans, historians, and collectors. But yes, I do think this is related to why families and some collectors are selling items with the hammer and sickle on them. That, and of course the last crop of veterans are dying out.