The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 10-29-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
medalklector

Keeping track of the collection...

Guys,

I have stumbled across a nice piece of software that I've started to use to keep track of my growing collection. It allows you to do all sorts of reports etc. It is called Collection Manager 2004 (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link???). Registration is about 35euros but it really seems worth it to me. You can download it and try it for 15 days before you have to decide. (I'm not afilliated with it in anyway

Does anyone else know of any other software that might do the job?. I'm actually an I.T guy. I was going to create my own access database, but this piece of software does the trick.

Cheers
Old 10-29-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Tretov

First I used Notepad (and printed a new list each month). Then I switched to a somewhat advanded Excel sheet. But I fell behind, forgot to update. So now I have nothing else but whats in my head.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Lapa

medalklector,

So far, good old Excel works quite well for me both to keep track of what I have and of what I want.

Marc
Old 10-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
medalklector

I was using Excel as well, but it was pretty limited when it came to Photo's (Which I've decided are really good for Insurance reasons!!!). It's interesting to hear how everyone keeps track of their items though....

If anyone wants a basic Access database I have developed one which you are more than welcome to have and modify.

I'm starting to feel like a parent with my items.....
Old 10-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
Dolf

Medalklector,

I use Excel either (even thought is far out of date right now, but I as keep a written record of every new piece I get I'll update my Excel Doc one of these days anyway ), but obviously it doesn't work for pictures/scans, so for these I just have normal folders which can complement the Excel Docs.

Dolf
Old 10-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #6
Chuck In Oregon

Frostbow

There was another thread on this topic a while back. What I recommended then and still use is Frostbow Collection Manager 2, at frostbowDOTcom. I don't think you can do any better than this inexpensive ($24.95), comprehensive program. You can get a free 30-day trial, but after you've used it for 15 minutes you'll wonder how you ever got along without it and you'll buy it. It is so much better than whatever is in second place that there's just no contest. YMMV ... nah, it won't.

The usual disclaimers.

Chuck
Old 10-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Art
Forum Founder

Guys,

Excel works great for pictures, hyperlinks, anything..I keep my collection organized with Excel and all you have to do to insert an image is simply insert a column next to your description, place an "X" in any cell that has an accompanying image. Simply hyperlink the "X" to the image and presto, click on the "X" and you can display the image. More "X"'s for more images..I also insert notes into the award description cell with any relevant award data such as who I bought it from, and any history the seller attaches to the award.

Art
Old 10-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #8
dannybou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck In Oregon
There was another thread on this topic a while back. What I recommended then and still use is Frostbow Collection Manager 2, at frostbowDOTcom. I don't think you can do any better than this inexpensive ($24.95), comprehensive program. You can get a free 30-day trial, but after you've used it for 15 minutes you'll wonder how you ever got along without it and you'll buy it. It is so much better than whatever is in second place that there's just no contest. YMMV ... nah, it won't.

The usual disclaimers.

Chuck
I'll try that one as well. I had never heard of any of these two packages so thanks Guys.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #9
rboomsma

I use excel also, works just fine.
Remember to Burn a copy for the safety depost box also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Guys,

Excel works great for pictures, hyperlinks, anything..I keep my collection organized with Excel and all you have to do to insert an image is simply insert a column next to your description, place an "X" in any cell that has an accompanying image. Simply hyperlink the "X" to the image and presto, click on the "X" and you can display the image. More "X"'s for more images..I also insert notes into the award description cell with any relevant award data such as who I bought it from, and any history the seller attaches to the award.

Art
Old 02-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
EricFG

Any new opinons on software programs?

...for keep track of our individual hordes?
Like most I had one started but failed to keep it up. Now, I think is a good time to start over.
What do you all use?