The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #121
AlexF.

Art,
Please stop worrying about US Soviet awards market, it will remain strong for years to come, I assure you. The "talks" you heard or had are mostly "talks", and, as an example, the person, who is supposed to be ready to pay $2000 for transitional Star, could do so at any time for the last 2 years - there are 2 of them on internet right now, at lower price. So, as you can see, it's still the same: money talk, and ... walks:-)
Of course, you're right, and the prices for rare high-end items are on a rise in RF, with more and more collectors in Russia, who can finally compete against US collectors with their purses (and win, sometimes). But to dealers, it doesn't matter where from and where to, as long as there is activity. So, US dealers will also survive... And lastly, there are very advanced collectors in US, who possess items, comparable or even beating similar ones in major Russian museums, please don't think they will let their tresures go back...:-) On the other hand, the trend did change slightly, like I said earlier, and some mid.level orders like 2nd and 3rd class Sv, Kt or Hm do find new owners back in RF, but mind you, those are NOT "really rare awards ...", so that's fine:-)

Cheers,

Alex.
AlexF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #122
HuliganRS

Alex:

I seem to have a problem with your statement: “…some mid.level orders like 2nd and 3rd class Sv, Kt or Hm…”

In my eyes Orders like Suvorov 2, Kutuzov 2 and Khmelnitsky 2 are not Mid-Level orders! These are nowhere as common and readily available 3rd Class orders, most of 2nd Class orders are well over $1,000 and not easily found in premium condition.
For example; BK2 T1V1 and T1V2 are almost never for sale and in premium condition will set you back over $2,000 Suvorov 2 in decent condition is over $2,000 and a premium examples go for $2,500!

What do you consider a High-Level Order? All first class Orders? Order of Victory?

Sorry to vent…

Awaiting your thoughts…

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:42 PM   #123
AlexF.

Rusty,

You're right when you said a phrase "in your eyes... those orders are the ....", and I believe you meant it. Perhaps, that's because you, as you mentioned earlier yourself, just started collecting. Also, I didn't specifically accented on a price range, and you're obviously focusing on that... This is an expensive hobby, please realize that..., and $2000 is just a tip of the iceberg for something in a true level of "RARE".
Finally, yes, 1st classes are high-level, as well as Naval 2nd classes, as well as pre-war "Goznak" and early Mondvor productions, plus many many more RARE things... Hope I didn't disillusioned you...

Regards,

Alex.

P.S. Orders of Victory weren't even made at the monetny dvor, they are just a piece of expensive jewelry, and that's my escuse to take it off my wantlist:-)
Old 03-26-2003, 04:11 PM   #124
HuliganRS

Alex,

I'm not focusing on the price...

The statement I made was in context of prices in this thread.

I was leaning more toward the scarcity of some types versus the whole mintage for a specific order. That’s why I specifically mentioned BK2 T1V1 and V2 because both of these orders in these types are a matter of single pieces! Where BK2 T1V3 and V4 are available in much greater numbers.

It’s all about the relative scarcity… Overall the order may be found for sale but some variations/types are as scarce as early Goznak and Mondvor items.

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 04:19 PM   #125
AlexF.

Well then, Rusty, you're talking about rare types versus rare orders - it's a totally different subject altogether!?
If you read Art's post, which I had replied to before you addressed the "mid.level" issue, we talked about rare orders, not types, and prices being on a rise in Russia...
Regards,

Alex.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:45 AM   #126
new world

Now these guys beat any crazy prices that I've seen before.
Are you ready for this?
Order of Alexandr Nevsky type 3 - just for $1795!!!!!!!!!!!!

Medal for Reclamation of Virgin Lands - $49.00 on eBay????????
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #127
Tal Inbar

BAM medal spld fo $66.00

I always said that it is more on the rare side then some of the forum members think.

Tal
Old 04-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #128
new world

Labor medal Lenin 100th Anniversary with award book - for sale on eBay for $32 !!!!!

Common Lenin on suspension with doc just sold on eBay for $604.68.
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:06 PM   #129
yolkin

Personal Observation:

When a dealer who does not typically deal in high-end items (Lenin, Nevsky, Suvorov, i.e. $300 ++) but rather in Campaign Medals, Labor Medals, etc. (i.e. <$30) OR a "new face" to eBay all of a sudden offers a high-end item, I for one become a bit suspicious. I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 I see that many of the Forum's members will bid a fair price on the item, however a bidderr who have never been seen before or will be since will bid up the price. That makes me quite mad, because when the items are authentic, the high prices (i.e. $605 for a 4xx,xxx T6 Lenin) start to set the wrong precedent. A T6 Lenin with a 4xx,xxx s/n and a 6-8/10 condition should cost $350 - $400.

I do not have the time to report the bidding-up of the prices, nor could I prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, but nevertheless I see this happenning... quite often. And I do not like it.

OK I am off my soap box.

Eric
Old 04-19-2003, 01:16 PM   #130
Ed Maier

Eric,

To play devils advocate once again, prices of Lenin's and all gold orders are going up because of the spike in gold prices. If gold comes down, then some prices will come down.

the well known international dealer that I mentioned in earlier posts had a 1950s Lenin and document and wanted over $500 for it. He said that he cannot get Lenins from Russia for under $420 because of the gold prices. Gold is currently $327 an ounce plus you need to add the platnium price. You will not find a Lenin for sale under this base price as the Russians will melt it down for the metal content. The days of $350 to $400 Lenins are over unless the bottom drops out of the precious metal market.

Just my two cents,
Ed M.
Ed Maier is offline   Reply With Quote