The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Democratic People's Republic Of Korea

Democratic People's Republic Of Korea 조선민주주의인민공화국 9th September 1948 -

Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #21
medals73

Re: My DPRK Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
Nice. Can't wait for the next update!!!
Agreed. Awaiting more here too.

Also awaiting your solution to the need for multi-dimensional infinite wall space. (A tardis?)
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #22
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Space IS a problem, One of them was big... Two of them is "difficult"... Three of them will be close to impossible with the way things currently are. What I am planning to do is have a larger more ornate frame placed over the two primitive "boxing" frames and also to have a removable sheet of perspex (to keep the dust and fingers off). With the additional depth, width and length all these factors cause I really don't know what to do. I am thinking about attaching the two frames together with hinges so they can be closed up for transportation (as if that's going to be easy anyway) and also so they can be free standing. This may or may not be a good idea. If these 120cm X 90cm frames don't put me off making my own frames forever I may make "fun sized" smaller flag sized frames for awards from other nations. Of course there is another problem, How big is big enough? When you have an ever expanding collection how big do you build the display area? I would have NEVER guessed that I would need this much space to display the awards from just one nation. I could make an A4 size flag backed frame for a nation I currently only have a few items from but what if I come across a large number of awards and it just doesn't work?

I also advise only using mass produced low quality flags for backing - don't go hammering nails through antique and obsolete banners! If old communist Bulgarian national flags were mass produced in Nylon in China now I'd also have a number of frames with Bulgarian awards. I do have a 120cm X 90cm Soviet flag so that may end up backing a frame one day because it's a "made in China" £3 purchase.

I hope so other forum members take on some of these "large scale" frames too because they really are quite impressive. They don't take a large amount of skill, if you have the tools at hand there's not much stopping you. All the skills needed are those I had to use as an undertaker working on coffins, nailing, screwing and upholstering - just always remember to measure twice and cut once!

The DPRK collection has also been expanding when both frames are "completed" (finished enough to put all the orders on by from enough for sit back and relax) there are another 122 Orders and 3 Kim Badges for the second frame (until I buy more). I'll upload photos of the new arrangement as soon as everything is laid out as it should be, which will probably be in about 6 weeks unless something else pops up that can't wait. Time takes time! and I wish I could have the luxury of seeing the final product without putting all the hours in! I think the collection may be taking over the house......
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #23
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Right then. Next you need the first "frame" bits to be attached to the strips of wood at the top and bottom of the back board. Measure everything multiple times and then cut the ends of the first bit (either for the top or bottom) to a 45 Degree angle. Once the first piece is screwed on, you can lay the side pieces down to check and measure them. If you cut one end of both side pieces with a 45 degree cut you can then lay them by the attached "frame" piece and make sure they are the right length before cutting their other end to a 45 degree angle. If you use a set square on the inside of the corners then you can be certain that the frame is square even if everything else is wonky. Screw on both side pieces and then once again use the set square and mark the last piece of the frame before you cut it. Once the last piece is attached you may also wish to screw the framing pieces together at the corners too. That's the first frame part complete.

The next bit is all measuring again, with some hammering though.
First work out where you want your awards to be placed. If they are pinback like these DPRK ones I am framing you can use cable clips like I have, other types of attachment will need different methods. Since the awards I will be attaching to the left side of the frame are all uniform in size I used a "2 by 4" with a squared end, which I mark at 6cm intervals. I also marked the side of the frame at set intervals too. I placed the squared plank against the frame and then marked off as many spots as needed for the awards. After all the first line of marks were made I hammered in cable clips, measuring after they have been hammered in to make sure they were in the right place, then I moved onto the second line, checked and so on. Most "mistakes" etc. will be covered when the awards and final frame are attached, giving the flag a brush or vacuum when you are finishing this stage is also advised.

Now on to attaching awards (and shuffling along the ones on the old frame as to keep all the awards in precedence and by type, variation and number - Number 1 goes before Number 2 and Type 1 goes before Type 3 etc.)....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammertime.jpg (87.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #24
EricFG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
Right then. If they are pinback like these DPRK ones I am framing you can use cable clips like I have, ..
Cable clips. I like that idea. Plastic ends so as to not scratch any delicate metal bits. Well done ol' chap! :thumbsup :idea
Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

It just hit me like a bolt out of the blue.... The plastic end is perfect. I'm currently using pins to pin up the ribbon suspended orders (not pinning the ribbons but fastening them between a set of pins so they won't move)

Another photograph to come as soon as I finish fiddling about with pins....