The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 06-23-2002, 09:52 PM   #1
new world

Awards to famous historical figures

Hello Gentlemen,

I'd like to start a discussion on premiums added to the awards that belonged to someone famous.

Recently I was offered high order from Kingdom of Bulgaria. This was my first time when I had a chance to acquire rather unique award, which was issued to a high ranking official from European country. The guy actually was a minister of Foreigh affars, which was supported by the award certificate.

This started me thinking: what if I had an opportunity to buy some awards which belonged to a prominent person from the Soviet history? What kind of a premium would I expect to pay?

Hence the question for all of you:

say someone comes to you and offers something common, like Order GPW 2cl, medal for Victory over Germany or one of the jubily medal? None of these awards would be anytrhing extraordinary or expensive (GPW II costs under $30, Victory and Jubilee medal both are under $10) on their own, but what kind of premium would you pay for these if they belonged to some well-known Soviet minister, marshal or politician?

For the sake of authenticity, lets say each of these awards comes with the proper documentation.

How much would you value these with the award certicicates if they belonged to a Soviet minister, marshal or politician:

1) GPW II
2) Vicory over Germany medal
3) 50 Yrs of Soviet Army

Would you pay 10 times thier normal price (ie $300 for GPW 2cl)?

Let the discussion start!

Best regards,
New World
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2002, 01:05 AM   #2
CZ
Banned

Prominent figure: Never GPW 2c

Dear New World,

a prominent figure always got a GPW 1c, never the 2c, if they got a GPW at all and not a Suvorov, Kutuzov, .... as military leaders.

Misha Wolf (head of all GDR-spies) and his brother Koni Wolf (most important GDR-film-director), both officers of the Red Army, got both GPW 1c years after the end of WW II.

The market price of a USD 8,- award for i.e. Zhukov is not to calculate. At an auction it might go at least 100 % or more over the USD 8,- , I think.

Regards from Vienna
Old 06-24-2002, 06:59 AM   #3
new world

Let's say they were awarded GPW 2cl during WWII before they became famous, while being just Lieutenant or Captain.

Assume they were lifted to prominence in the 70s or even 80s. It takes time to become a Marshal
Old 06-24-2002, 07:12 AM   #4
CZ
Banned

Not uncommon

That's true, this was not uncommon, I know such cases: Platoon Leader at the WW II - Minister of Defense under Gorbacev, like Dimitri Jasov (I am not exactly shure, if he has a GPW 2c at all ...).

Regards from Vienna

P.S.: 1985 he got a GPW 1c at least ...
Old 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Awards to famous historical figures

Awards, either singular or as group, that were awarded to "higher" political/historical figures are often available and very often without the premium.

Over the years researching the collection has thrown up many surprises from failed local council election attempts all the way through the political spectrum to one of Slobodan Milošević's ministers and a National Leader of one of the Allies during the Second World War. Then in the way of military positions, everything from lack lustre conscripts to one of the highest ranking military men there is. Luck certainly is more prominent a factor than funds. If you do your research you'll find your stories. Every award has a story behind it.

Some people will see anyone wearing a "Hero Star" as famous, others politicians, Sports persons, Spies, Inventors, Commanders of particular units, but it all depends on what angle you are looking at it from. Someone can be very famous to one group of people and unknown to others.

I certainly don't pay premiums for "famous" names as each equal award will have been awarded for equal merit - even if sometimes that was just being alive. That certainly doesn't mean there isn't a fair number of "famous" recipients' awards in the collection.