The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
Christophe

Visiting And Shopping In Areas Outside The Former Soviet Union.

Hi to All,

Do you know where to find medals in Montreal (Canada) ?
I'm interested in flea markets, dealers' adresses, etc... Do you have good addresses to recommand ?

Are there some Forum Members living there ? I'll be there part of next week...

In advance, many thanks.
Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2004, 07:42 AM   #12
otlichnik

Christophe,

Sorry for the late reply. As a Canadian I can state that Canada is a dud for Soviet items. Used to be able to find good stuff in the early 90s in Toronto pawn shops but little since then. The few things you can find are either fake or over-priced if held by regular medal dealers. There are a few people in Toronto who Ebay-it but I don't think they have stores.

I have done Montreal several times and never found a thing of interest - Soviet that is. Enjoy the old city, rue St. Denis, rue St. Catherine and the girls and forget about Soviet stuff.

If you find yourself in Ottawa after this August you can visit me!!

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:10 AM   #13
Tal Inbar

1Soviet items in Slovenia

I will visit Slovenia next week. AnyDo you know any places to find Soviet awards?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:33 AM   #14
otlichnik

Tal,

Where are you going?? I have been to many places in Slovenia (I was in Catez, Nove Mesto and Ljubljana two weeks ago) and I have never really seen anything Soviet though.

There are some antique stores in Ljubljana along one of the main pedestrian road. I forget the street name but if you are on the fish-market side of the river at the triple bridge (this will all make sense when you are downtown I promise) the main pedestrian street starts up ahead on the right side. If you look carefully you can find some Yugo militaria.

But, this whole area is turned into an antique market on Sunday mornings. Although I have never been to it I hear it is good (but I don't know about militaria).

Wait, I lie. I do remember seeing some Soviet militaria in the window of a coin shop but it was always closed when I was there so I never went in. As I recall, in the window they had a red star, a znak pocheta and, most intriguingly, a Mongolian polar star (which may have been fake). Anyway this store was harder to find. There is a central square (a circle actually) on the non-fish-market side of the river at this same triple-bridge (the triple bridge is one car bridge and two pedestrian bridges all sort of linked). You will see a McDonalds just up one street from this square (circle) away from the river. Go to the McDonalds and face it. Now as I recall the coin store was on a street behind the McDonalds parallel to the one you are now standing on. I am not sure how far left or right it is but keep circling this general area and you should find it. Downtown Ljubljana is quite small and quite cute.

If you get a chance have lunch on one of the small places overlooking the river and go up to the castle on the hill and climb their great tower. You get a great view but it is also an awesome climb. The inside is hollow with a giant spiral staircase which sprals over a dozen times on its way up - huge vertigo!!!

Enjoy Slovenia, one of my favourite places in Europe - cheap, clean, efficient and friendly!

Shawn
Old 05-20-2004, 03:07 AM   #15
Tal Inbar

Thanks, Shawn!

I will post here information next week and look for interesting items.

Tal
Old 06-07-2004, 04:57 PM   #16
scook17

Soviet Awards in Malta

I'm off with my wife for a relaxing break in Malta as from tomorrow. We went there a couple of year back, which is where I bought my first soviet award, a combat service medal, along with a 100 years centenary of lenin. If I remember correctly, I bought if from a stall in one of the antique markets, from a guy selling all sorts of Russian awards. I'll certainly pay him a visit again whilst we're there.

Anyone suggest any good places to visit on the island to buy soviet awards?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 AM   #17
otlichnik

Shane,

No ideas about Soviet stuff. But, if you see anyone or any store selling much older stuff - arms and armour - please grab a card or email address from them for me. I bought a late 16th- early 17th century piece of shoulder armour from a guy who luves in Malta last year.

Shawn
Old 06-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #18
scook17

It's interesting that you can find russian stuff everywhere. Besides my Aurora badge I still haven't been able to locate in any reference books (see thread
http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3504), I managed to run into the following in the excellent WW2 museam they have in Valetta (the capital).

To get there, catch the bus that goes to the market in Valetta, and then go through the huge archway into the central square and walk all the way down through the shops, past the 'Buckingham Palace' sign on your left outside of some large building, and down over the hill past the toy museam. Finally the road ends (about 20 minutes walk) and there is a sign for the war museam, which is then only about 200 yards away.

It has mainly British and German stuff, although I saw the following Russian items there. It's amazing how they get everywhere!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA1042s.JPG (25.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1043s.JPG (40.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1044s.JPG (41.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1045s.JPG (39.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1046s.JPG (25.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
scook17

Continued.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA1047s.JPG (41.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1048s.JPG (39.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1049s.JPG (44.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1050s.JPG (43.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1051s.JPG (26.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 PM   #20
scook17

The last set......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA1052s.JPG (47.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1053s.JPG (45.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1054s.JPG (37.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMGA1055s.JPG (40.2 KB, 19 views)