The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
ANZAC

A Tall Story?

An interesting tale if it's true.

I picked up an item from a gentleman today who collects Soviet uniforms. He related a story to me of how he lived in and worked in the Ukraine for 6 years. During that period he was always cashed up with US dollars. Apparently he had a shady contact who could 'get him anything'.

He told his contact that he wanted to buy original full uniforms etc. His contact took him to a place where there were hundreds of uniforms on racks all original from civil war to modern. Basically this guy bought enough stuff to fill a container.

The shady character then asked if he wanted something 'special' and took him to an enclosed area where a full uniform with regalia, medals etc, was kept. The shady character then offered to sell a genuine MARSHALL ZHUKOV uniform for $5000USD. Without provenance it's worth nothing. The shady character then proceeded to make a phone call and an hour later Zhukov's grandson appeared with acceptable id as proof of who he is and proceeded to sign the inside of the uniform as proof of it being genuine since it had originally come from him.

So....the uniform was bought, it was then shipped to Australia and placed in storage. I have asked if I would be able to see it and take some photos. The gentleman has agreed but it won't be till after Christmas.

If this story is true, I will get as many photos as I can to post for the experts to review.

Brendan
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2007, 03:25 AM   #2
jefflgarrison

ok, so not wanting to smack your stury around but what would Zhukov's grandson being doing living in the Ukraine? Weren't they all from in and around Moscow?

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
Old 12-15-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
ANZAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflgarrison View Post
ok, so not wanting to smack your stury around but what would Zhukov's grandson being doing living in the Ukraine? Weren't they all from in and around Moscow?
Who knows? This is how it was related to me. So I guess until I see the uniform it is only a Tall Story
Old 12-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
ericlida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC View Post

The shady character then offered to sell a genuine MARSHALL ZHUKOV uniform for $5000USD. Without provenance it's worth nothing. The shady character then proceeded to make a phone call and an hour later Zhukov's grandson appeared with acceptable id as proof of who he is and proceeded to sign the inside of the uniform as proof of it being genuine since it had originally come from him.

Brendan
It is hard to believe. I would buy this story if the price would by $50,000.00.
$5,000.00? -
I would not be surprized if "Zhukov's Grandson" would be a "Son of Leutenant Schmidt" tomorrow.
But, you never know - miracles sometimes heppen.
BTW, I agree, why Ukraine?
Eric
Old 12-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Nota Bene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlida View Post
I would not be surprized if "Zhukov's Grandson" would be a "Son of Leutenant Schmidt" tomorrow.
LOL!

I believe his grandson Georgy is still alive and lives in Moscow.

Alexei
Old 12-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlida View Post
What's the big deal? I'm the son of a "Lieutenant Schmitt" .
Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Eryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC View Post

I picked up an item from a gentleman today who collects Soviet uniforms. He related a story to me of how he lived in and worked in the Ukraine for 6 years.
Not advocating for the authenticity of course, but wouldn't the time frame be important? Ie, which 6 years was he there, and when did the transaction take place?

My understanding is that right after the fall was a chaotic time. Many people had little idea of value outside of their experience in a largely closed society with a centrally controlled economy. Was there even the notion of paying big bucks to "collect" things that had little intrinsic value? Even today we hear of orders and medals being melted down to reclaim precious metal, netting a fraction of what the melter could get if they simply sold it on eBay. And this is going on two decades after the economy opened up. $5,000.00 is a lot of money now, even moreso back then. True, not to a collecter of militaria for a uniform owned by one of the greatest generals of WWII. But even now if I showed my wife a picture of it (and it was authentic), without explanation, and said I was going to break into the piggy bank for a spare five grand, she'd look at me funny.

Anyway, 100 to 1 it's a fraud. But more specifics about the timing would be interesting.