The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Polish People's Republic > Polish Award Groups

Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Al-muell

Łukasz Trusz

This are just the remains of a group, but I am still struggling to get more and to get at least some of the documents that were sold (or at least their copies).

So, about the man:
Łukasz Trusz, born on September 14, 1903 in Borysławice near Sambor, Voivodeship of Lwów (currently in Ukraine), son of Onufry and Emilia who were farmers, of polish nationality and roman-catholic confession was 165cm tall, had dark-blonde hair and blue eyes and untill 1933 his education was 7 classes of the primary school (this information comes from his pre-WW2 military ID - a doc that I don't own, but will post the scans of as soon as I get the permission). He served his obligatory military service in the 10th Mounted riflemen regiment in Łańcut and held the rank of plutonowy (higher than corporal, but lower than a sgt. - theoreticaly this rank should grant a position of platoon commander or at least deputy platoon commander, but it didn't always work like that). During his service he received a commemorative badge of the Regiment. I should be able to post his photo from that era, but am still awaiting permission.
After the service, he worked as a prison guard in the prison in the city of Sambor, where he recieved at least one award - "For faithful service" 3rd class medal (still trying to get it and it's doc).
In 1939 he was probably not mobilised, at least he was cleared of mobilisation obligation according to a doc from may 1939 (probably because of his work as a prison guard).
His fate between 1939 and 1944 remains unknown, but he probably styed in Sambor or his birthplace, because next thing I know about him is that he became soldier of the 6th Infantry division of the 1st Polish Army (in the east), which was formed inUkraine in august 1944, mainly of the autochtonic polish population.
In the division he probably was a military policeman (I assume that on the basis of the name of the rank he held and the fact that on some of the photographs heis wearing an akselbant on the left side which was typical for MP on patrol before the war) and held the rank of starszy wachmistrz (a cavalry equivalent of sr. sgt. - may point out to the mounted scouts, but that akselbant seems to suggest MP, as they also used cavalry rank names).
With the division, he took part in the fights for Warsaw, Kołobrzeg, Cities of Western Pomerania, breaching of the Odra River and preparations for the Berlin Operation (the division ultimately did not take part in in).
In May 1945 he was awarded the Cross of the Brave.
His other awards for the war were:
"For Warsaw"
"For Odra, Nysa,Baltic"
"Victory and Freedom"

He also received at least one Soviet medal - probably VoG. I am trying to figure it out.
Later he was awarded polish "For participation in the fights for Berlin" medal (1968) as well as some other awards that I am tying to get the list of. He got Polonia Restituta Cavalier's cross, I think, but that is still unconfirmed.
After the war he remained in the active service for some time. In 1953 he was officially cleared from any military obligations (due to age probably).
He was a member of "Gwardia" Sports Associacion in 1948 (this organization was police-related) and in 1962-1964 he was a juror in the court in the city of Przemyśl where he probably lived.
Some time in his life he was probably a firefighter, but that is unconfirmed.

So, let us start with the oldest things in my current possesion:

1. 1939 doc stating that he is not to be mobilised

2.Stalin's gratitude for Warsaw doc (not the only existing variant for sure).

3.Stalin's gratitude for Złotów, Jastrowie etc. (same variant as in Podlak's Group posted earlier)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0062.jpg (100.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0059.jpg (97.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0054.jpg (98.1 KB, 4 views)
Al-muell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Al-muell

Re: Łukasz Trusz

4.Stalin's Gratitude for Tempelburg etc. (also the same type as in Podlak's group)
5.Rola-Żymierski's Gratitude for breaching Odra river
6.1945 Temporary certificate for the Cross of the Brave, hand signed by the division commander, general Szejpak (Gennadiy Sheypak)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0055.jpg (99.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0060.jpg (101.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0057.jpg (99.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Al-muell

Btw., I have the Cross of the Brave that's supposed to be his, but I have my doubts about it, so I won't post it before it's originality is determined.

7. and 8. His 1948 "Gwardia" ("Guards") sport association ID
9.His juror's ID
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0056.jpg (64.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0058.jpg (97.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0053.jpg (97.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Al-muell

Photographs:
(A pre-war photograph of him will be posted as soon as I have permission).
1.a portrait photograph of him with the distinctive "akselbant", ca.1945
2.A group of probably MPs (note akselbants), sr. sgt. Trusz is sitting to the left. ca. 1945
3.A group of probably MPs in overcoats. Our hero is crouching in the center, between the officer with goggles and one of the soldiers with PPS-43 submachinegun. Ca.1945. Note that one of the man in the back seems to have a captured nazi belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0041.jpg (33.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0044.jpg (100.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0045.jpg (50.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Al-muell

4.A group of MPs, Our hero standing, with the Cross of the Brave in the middle behing the officer with fabulous moustache, late 1940's (new uniforms)
5.Łukasz Trusz as a civilian (altough still in a uniform that can't be newer than 1948), ca.60's/70's.
6.A somewhat mysterious photo of a group of firemen. He is supposed to be there, but I can't recognize him. Anyway, this photo was a part of the group and if it's postwar, it's probably from40's/50s.

Btw. It seems that he liked basketball - a person who bought his 10th regiment-related items (for a museum) has also a picture of him during some pre-war military basketball tournament as one of the players.

I should have more of his group in 2 weeks - some award docs for sure, maybe even awards themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0048.jpg (79.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0049.jpg (100.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0050.jpg (52.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Al-muell; 12-01-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Al-muell

His Cross of the Brave. I just got confirmation that this is indeed an authentic Moscow-made piece:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0042.jpg (67.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg skanuj0047.jpg (63.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
Al-muell

I have also ommited one more doc, so here it is:
A document granting the right to recieve 10ha of agricultural land with house and farm buildings in the area of Chojnice, Gryfin, Gubin, Żuraw (generaly on Odra river) by the order of the marshall of Poland Mochał Rola Żymierski.
Not sure if he got the land, but if so, he probably sold it, as everything indicates that he lived on the opposite end of Poland after the war.

I also did some research on the people who signed his documents, which helps to tetermine time of issue:
Cross of the Brave - as said Guards Mjr.-Gen./Generał Brygady Giennadij Szejpak - date is given and it fits.

Gratitude for Odra crossing - Szejpak and his political deputy commander Jakub Wachtel (Wachtel held this post from December1944 to June 1945, so this doc could have been given indeed in april 1945

Tempelburg etc. - Lt. Colonel Grajworoński (Nikolai Graivoronskiy), chief of staff of the division since April to September 1945 (so it was definately given later than in MArch 1945 as printed)

Złotów etc. - lt. colonel Sielecki (Chief of staff from December 1944 to April1945 (most likely the letter was given in February, as printed)

Warsaw - same as above (so likely given in January as printed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skanuj0061.jpg (100.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
Al-muell

And another portion of his documents ended up in my hands:
1. 1938 certificate for the "For long service" medal giving his post as "Senior prison guard". The doc indicate that he probably begun his work as a prison guard in 1928, which could be the time he left the army.
2.Certificate of participation in the anti-air and anti-gas defence course from 1938.
3.A gratitude diploma to a Soldier of the 1st Army - a general thank you. Similar to Sovietdocuments ofthis type. Interestingly, this one is neither stamped nor signed as it should be, and if not for the folding traces it would seem unissued. It also states that he was "st. wachm. zand." - senior sgt. of the MP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13616.jpg (90.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13620.jpg (73.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13617.jpg (97.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #9
Al-muell

4.Temporary certificate for the medal "For Oder, Nisse, Baltic Sea" from 17th of may 1946.
5.Temporary certificate for the medal "For Warsaw" from 18th of may 1946. Note that even tough they were both given in accordance to the same order, they were issued on two consecutive days. Also, even topugh they were given to the same order and signed by the same officer (col. Sienicki), Trusz is listed as "st. sierżant" on one and as "st. wachmistrz" on the other.
6.An official large certificate for the Victory and Freedom medal - probably from 18th of May 1946, which would mean it was issued on the same day as the "For Warsaw" medal. Also signed by Sienicki.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13621.jpg (93.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13622.jpg (94.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13618.jpg (93.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Al-muell

7.A small certificate for the V&F medal from 6th May 1947 - not sure what thisn small certificates were all about, but they are irritatingly hard to get (and have exorbitant prices). They usually give the recipient's profession below therir name, which isn't a case here. It may indicate that he was still in active service by the time the doc was issued.
8.&9.Military ID issued in 1954 stating that he is free of the military obligation due to reaching the age limit. He was 51 at that time and that seems to have been more than maximum age for an NCO. Anyway, it'slikely that he was in active service untill then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC13619.jpg (93.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13624.jpg (97.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13625.jpg (98.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Al-muell; 01-05-2013 at 04:53 AM.