The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #1011
Pobeda45

Re: How to display Soviet awards

This is a great thread. For my suspension medals/orders and docs, I have switched over to an album system. The medals are in medal sleeves, and in PVC-free, Acid-free pages. Same with docs, the pages are PVC-free and the smaller docs are in an additional clear sleeve. The sticky notes give the soldiers' names, and are on the outside of the plastic. Thanks for looking!

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1608-1.jpg (90.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1610-1.jpg (94.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1612.jpg (95.4 KB, 68 views)
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #1012
deValcourt

Works well, doesn't it?

I like the sticky note idea.

Phillip
Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #1013
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I was thinking about albuming the collection until I researched prices. You try albuming 4000 medals and you are looking at a pile of cash that you could use to buy something VERY special. As it is all the medals (which fit) are in those plastic envelopes (I have them all uniform). So far medal envelopes alone have cost me $250+, not counting all the items I have framed. Now man hours alone would cost some sweet money if it were not out of love. The latest frame I have made consists of a 3 foot by 5 foot frame which I had to make (had to make twice since someone played with the mitre saw settings) and having to hammer in over 300 cable clips too! Measure twice, cock up twice, measure twice more , get very frustrated, almost give up, a frame to enjoy for a lifetime!
CtahhR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #1014
deValcourt

Displayed is infinitely better, but when you literally run out of wall space, cataloging is the best alternative. In fact, displaying them tends to take up quite a bit of space. I figured once I bought a house with a guest room I could use for an "office" and for display of my awards and the ones I've collected. Let's just say that my stuff is back in a box and in storage again...

Phillip
Old 04-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #1015
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

You know you have a problem when storage let alone displaying takes over. So far I have a cupboard, three trunks, a military logistical case, a wardrobe and overflow. Underneath my bed I have a couple dozens helmets and 360 cases medals. I really don't know how to store the air raid siren so it's just plonked on the landing and the mosin-nagant just leans up in corners of different rooms after being played with by various folk. The fireplace in my bedroom has 4 spent tank shells in it and 14 on top of it.... Militaria has taken over but it's not even the largest collection I have and still I need to keep buying more and more and more! Some serious amount of trees will have to be sacrificed for the displaying I'll be doing (When I get round to it). As it stands from where I am typing this I can see 17 frames worth of goodies and the process has just begun.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #1016
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
You know you have a problem when storage let alone displaying takes over. So far I have a cupboard, three trunks, a military logistical case, a wardrobe and overflow. Underneath my bed I have a couple dozens helmets and 360 cases medals. I really don't know how to store the air raid siren so it's just plonked on the landing and the mosin-nagant just leans up in corners of different rooms after being played with by various folk. The fireplace in my bedroom has 4 spent tank shells in it and 14 on top of it.... Militaria has taken over but it's not even the largest collection I have and still I need to keep buying more and more and more! Some serious amount of trees will have to be sacrificed for the displaying I'll be doing (When I get round to it). As it stands from where I am typing this I can see 17 frames worth of goodies and the process has just begun.
Well, it's less fun, but more economical to keep them in plastic bags in a portable Tupperware tote like I do .
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #1017
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I suppose bagging and boxing are the best way to keep them safe and protected. Framing's good but not as good as hiring folks to wear them all and march around looking rather distinguished. But that's really for when you want to burn money. "Sandwich bags" are currently where all but 5 of my groups live. They're great because you can see what's inside and it keeps them all together. A problem I'll have to overcome when framing some of the larger groups is not only all the paperwork but cases. How on earth to you keep the cases in the frame with all the awards and paperwork?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #1018
Pobeda45

I'd love to display them in a nice frame myself, but it's a no-go for me, living in NYC. Not that I live in a rough neighborhood, but you don't want make easy pickins for thieves either... The most expensive material goes in the safe...the average stuff is in the albums, and hopefully thieves wouldn't even know to take those.

Besides, I think the lady would have issue with me hanging up a big frame. Right now she sort of looks the other way..

George
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #1019
travel-north

I keep my medals in a business cards folder. It provides good protection, it doesn't take much space, it's easy to transport, and you can see both sides of your stuff.

-T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folder.jpg (43.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg folder2.jpg (29.2 KB, 31 views)
travel-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #1020
EricFG

That's pretty darned handy. Great idea!