The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #1231
Riley1965

Re: How To Store And Display Awards.

I found the website. Please let me know when they have the larger holders.

Doc
Riley1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #1232
Pobeda45

Sure thing...these folks are pretty old-fashioned so they don't have their own site, but you can contact them through their store on the vcoins site:

E&T Kointainer

In 2012 they quoted me "$5.50 for 3 feet of 7 3/4 inch wide or $7.50 for 3 feet of 9 3/4 inch wide...longer rolls at better prices."
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #1233
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Envelopes do not do the job when you have a really diverse and "industrial" size collection. The latest Medals out of Afghanistan are bigger than most neck worn awards.

A snapshot 3 years ago shows how that was trying to tackle and issue - but that idea has pretty much collapsed.

Can't get envelopes for these - and there are now over 2500 of this "shape" looking for correct storage.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #1234
Sgt Stavka

I have a small exhibit on Russian military history (1828-2006) that I have to put together for the University of Dallas in about four and a half weeks (it will run until Nov 1). I know how to get the materials to display the weapons and uniforms and even some coins from various periods, BUT how can I display the medals and orders to best effect?

To me this is different than displaying them at home as they will be vertical or slanted rather than in flat glass display boxes.

In some cases there will only be one, in others there will be many (think Patriotic War). Can any of you recommend attractive looking display cases for one medal/order and for many. Also, have any of you done this sort of thing before and what tips would you offer.

Thanks
Sgt Stavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #1235
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I've usually left the logistics and design of displaying items to whoever I've lent items to to display. There have been many over the years, Museums, pubs, barracks and others. If you look through the forum (maybe using the search term "frame") you'll find many various displayed I've created over the years. I did once display all the DPRK items in the collection but it would now take up about 100 square yards to do so so that's not happening.

I've found cheap solutions for displays is to use fabric covered cardboard. You can bend, cut, hole, etc cardboard with ease and throw it away and replace easily and no-one will know if you cover it with fabric. It also makes things lighter which is a great help when it comes to transport.

Unfortunately for me the luxury of vast displays (and the time and space needed to create them) have taken a back seat to the more pressing need of storage of items. There are photographs of some of the thousands of undocumented awards stored in envelopes in this thread but here are examples of how I store many of the c2,100 documented groups in the collection. There are over 30 of these boxes worth. Each recipient has their own sealed bag (if the items are A4 or small - named with list of contents, which often has to be located and added to) and the whole storage issue can be rather overwhelming. A crime of passion at this stage I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6469.jpg (126.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6470.JPG (54.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #1236
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

We all know screwback awards can be very difficult to store but this is what I do with those that are undocumented and not on permanent display.

The remnants of my previous life in music means I often get sent 12" vinyl records and this style of packaging is perfect to store these screwbacks. The flaps fold over the awards to stop them being damaged and they are stackable and uniform. The 7" single packaging is also handy to transport a few awards at once or if you don't have such a large collection.

This particular packaging once transported a promotional Beck 12" single, who would have foreseen the re-purposing? I won't be running out of these any time soon as I've still got records I received 16 years ago in their packaging (I have lots of backlogs!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6592.jpg (122.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #1237
Sgt Stavka

Storage (and proper preservation) has become a concern of mine as well. I mean, I have NKVD execution documents printed on *really* cheap paper and a engineering manual from 1914 (slight mould on back) that have to be properly preserved.

This isn't easy, coins and medals may be similar, but paper, cloth, leather, and all the other items that go with them are less so.

I did find a solution to the display issue however. There are a number of jewelry display companies what sell beautiful angled ramps for less than $5 (US) and many other companies that sell acrylic mountings that work for everything from orders and medals to helmets and rocket launchers.

The cardboard still came in handy as not all of the display materials arrived in time. So thanks for that!
Sgt Stavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #1238
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

This certainly isn't the perfect solution but it has been a bit of a stopgap for me.

This teatray has been re-purposed to hold the Soviet awards I've acquired whilst away from home. (Every Englishman has a teatray!) Unfortunately it seems as though I'll have to find something else soon as it will be overflowing. The problem will be solved when I get back home, as they will get integrated into the main collection but until now they're just sorted and close at hand on this tray.

I also have a couple of shoeboxes full of documents, four drawers full of bars/outsize pieces and two large cardboard boxes of non-Soviet awards. The issue of the temporary storing of them doesn't really doesn't really allow for any sort of displaying or fancy storage etc.

I always take Medal envelopes everywhere with me so I can be sure that most of the awards can be a uniform size and protected from many of the additional hazards of travel. I always get the same ones too so the whole collection fits together very well when stored in the "master" storage facility.

The envelopes also allow the awards to be shuffled easily - and there is a lot of shuffling. I always store the awards in order of precedence and by serial number. I like to be able to find everything as quickly as possible.

The collapse in prices and continuing slide and increased availability has been a real catalyst. All collectors have had access to considerably better prices. If I can haggle and buy up the goodies anyone can and I'm sure plenty of other forum members have had the same experience. I know those users who have come to me for help working on deals have been happy with snapping items up at fractions of their former prices.

What is on the tray (which probably can't be seen at all) is;

Order of Lenin
Order Of The Red Banner (research pending)
Order Of The Labour Red Banner X2
Order Of Glory III (researched)
Order "Badge Of Honour" X2
Medal "For Bravery" X65 (64 researched 1 pending)
Medal "For Labour Valour" X4 (3 numbered and research pending 1 unnumbered)
Medal "For Combat Merits" X65 (54 researched 11 pending)
Medal "For Labour Distinction" X4 (3 numbered and research pending and 1 unnumbered)
Medal "For The Defence Of Leningrad"
Medal "For The Defence Of Konigsberg"
Medal "For Restoration Of The Enterprises Of Black Metal Of The South"
Medal "For Distinct Service In Protection Of Public Order"

All the researched awards have been posted, the "Researched Soviet Medals" section of the forum has been nicely padded out this year.

I'm thinking of displaying all of the awards with their citations in some sort of grand book. Sort of like a rolodex - just a lot bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_3298.jpg (198.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #1239
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Here is one of the drawers. All of the researchable awards are researched.

Order Of The Patriotic War 1st Class
Order Of The Patriotic War 2nd Class X5
Order Of The Red Star x13
Medal "For Bravery" X11 (3 Type 1 on suspension)
Medal "For Combat Merits" X8 (2 Type 1 on suspension)
19 other Soviet Medals plus whatever else you see.

Most of the Medals "For Bravery" and "For Combat Merits" can be picked up around metal value - and often under with some firm haggling. So what once may have seemed to be the unobtainable is rather commonplace. Red Stars (even without damage) are back under $30 again for the first time in almost a decade. Happy days for those of us continuing to collect (specially those of us with absolutely no interest in speculation).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_3301[1].jpg (71.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #1240
Spoonman

Can anyone suggest a nice archival-type backing for displaying my silver Soviet medals in a Ryker box? I'm looking at a nice red 100% non-fire retardant treated polyester.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote