The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

View Poll Results: When did you start collecting Soviet Awards ?
I have been awarded Soviet medals and don't collect them 2 1.30%
I've been awarded Soviet medals and collected them before 1991 0 0%
I've been awarded Soviet medals and started collecting them after 1991 3 1.95%
I started collecting before 1991 13 8.44%
I started collecting just after 1991 39 25.32%
I started collecting after PMD's book publishing - 1997 22 14.29%
I started collecting after this Forum existed - 2002 73 47.40%
I'm interested in, but don't collect them. 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #31
SVT-40

I started collecting in the late 1980's. The first order I obtained was from a Russian friend of my Dad's. I think it was a red star. After the break up of the Soviet Union my dad and I started heavily collecting Orders, Medals, Pins and Shoulder boards. Most of the items in my collection were obtained from the same source. In the last two or three years I have been collecting Soviet space items, mainly metal rockets made as gifts for employees. I also collect Soviet rifles and militaria.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 AM   #32
plmurphy

Started in 1993 in Geneva. They were well made, historical and cheap so I got a good selection. Did not add to them until my posting to Moscow rekindled my interest in 2005, by which time they were well made, historical and expensive !
Old 09-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #33
Mozzabloke

In 2002 Saw some nice soviet ww2 campaign medals on ebay and got hooked
Old 09-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
MONDVOR

My first interest to Soviet awards occured in early childhood, when I used to play with my grandpa's medals. But serious attitude towards this topic had developed after I finished my University.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #35
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONDVOR View Post
My first interest to Soviet awards occured in early childhood, when I used to play with my grandpa's medals. But serious attitude towards this topic had developed after I finished my University.
Andrew,

Can you tell us more about your grandpa's awards? Where did he fight?
I'm always delighted hearing/reading vets accounts

Thanks,

Dolf
Old 09-08-2006, 04:45 PM   #36
MONDVOR

Sure, Dolf! Actually, I've already described my grandpa's military career on the other English-language forum and posted all his documents, citations and pictures there. It was a few months ago. I can post a direct link, but advertising of other web-sites is prohibited according with the rules
In brief, my granddad joined the war in 1942. He was heavily wounded in early 1943. On May 1944 he was awarded with "For Valor" medal 863369. At this time he was in rank of a sergeant and his position was an artillery scout of 68th Rifle Corps. Later he participated in liberation of Budapest and Belgrad. After the war he finished Military School and was promoted to Lieutenant. He served in Army for 10 more years and finally was transferred to reserve at the rank of a Captain. He died when I was 9.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #37
EricFG

I can't remember when it was, back in the early 90s I suppose.....
Back in the day I was collecting hats and naval cap tallies. It was then I got my first Soviet militaria.
But mostly I was collecting German medals. Since my budget was (and still is) quite low I branched out into DDR stuff. From there I found a dealer at a show who told where his fleamarket booth was and when I went there I got some fine DDR stuff and my first Soviet medal!
It was I think the 30th Anniversay of Victory in the GPW.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #38
Sergei

In terms of collecting age I am an embrio - less than 9 months. But the background has always been there - the family 'legend' is that I got my name when my elder brother (died a few years back of cancer) on the day I was born was taking a book about Sergei Mironovich Kirov back to the libray and somehow lost it. He cried bitterly - I got my first name. But more importantly, my father (who is also dead now ) was an army officer, and I guess if you grew up in a Russian officer's family it will never let you go - no matter where you live, and despite all the arguments about who was right and who was wrong throughout the Soviet history - and, boy, didn't we use to have a fight!
It was only a question time for me, really. Sergei.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:37 PM   #39
Koopyetz

When I began collecting

My first purchase was an Order of the Red Star and a 1985 issue OGPW.
When I received my package my wife said she really likes the OGPW so I gave it to her. She I very encouraging about my collecting. Bless her!
Old 12-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #40
Christophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopyetz View Post
My first purchase was an Order of the Red Star and a 1985 issue OGPW.
When I received my package my wife said she really likes the OGPW so I gave it to her. She I very encouraging about my collecting. Bless her!
I think your noble gesture made it...

Ch.