The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

View Poll Results: When did you start collecting Soviet Awards ?
I have been awarded Soviet medals and don't collect them 2 1.30%
I've been awarded Soviet medals and collected them before 1991 0 0%
I've been awarded Soviet medals and started collecting them after 1991 3 1.95%
I started collecting before 1991 13 8.44%
I started collecting just after 1991 39 25.32%
I started collecting after PMD's book publishing - 1997 22 14.29%
I started collecting after this Forum existed - 2002 73 47.40%
I'm interested in, but don't collect them. 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #41
Riley1965

When did you start collecting Soviet Awards ?

Excellent gesture and encouragement!!!

Doc
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #42
Nota Bene

I guess it could be better, but it is the still the most voted poll in this history of this Forum!

Alexei
Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #43
Greg Collins

Probably a stranger entry into collecting than most of you.

I'm a Communist (have been since '72) and a graphic designer. In the design work I've done for several organizations, I began to look toward Soviet design for ideas. Inevitably I began to pick up a pin here and there, which motivated me to actually seek pins- mostly of the labour persuasion. From that point, I began looking at medals and began collecting these as well (my all time favorite is the Red Banner of Labour). I guess I began seriously collecting only last year. This forum has been a great and enjoyable source of information.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #44
Riley1965

Greg,
Welcome to the forum. I think that you are probably the first to proclaim that they are a communist. That doesn't matter. That's your choice, although an interesting one considering you live here in the USA. What does matter is your interest in collecting Soviet/Russian ODMs. This is not a political forum but is a forum dedicated to the study of ODMs.

Doc
Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #45
Greg Collins

Riley,

I live here because I'm from here; although, to be honest and due to a lot of globe trotting as both a civilian and during eight years in the Navy, I've often thought of relocating. I pointed out the politics only as a link to the design work I do and how the pins/medals interface with that. There are other forums for political discussion and I'll certainly honour that while I'm here.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #46
Riley1965

Greg,
I mentioned the non political aspect only to reassure you that you are welcome here as this is a place of research and study of Soviet ODMs.

Doc
Old 02-23-2007, 10:34 AM   #47
MONDVOR

Hi Greg,
That's really amazing to meet real American communist. So, what do you think about the level of Soviet Propaganda Art and about the design of Soviet orders? Aren't they beautiful?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #48
skydvr8029

I started collecting around 2001. I was working in Turkmenistan and was walking through the local market and picked up a couple of medals plus a table medallion. I have been addicted ever since. I now have a pretty substantial collection with an Order of Lenin being my highest.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 PM   #49
Greg Collins

Mondvor,

Insofar as graphic art and design are concerned, I believe that the art and design generated through Soviet propaganda and medal/pin design is unparalleled. This is, of course, my opinion and not totally unbiased.

Oh yeah, and I don't want to dwell on this thing here so I'll mention it quickly, there's an American Communist buried at the Kremlin Wall- John Reed (check out the movie "Reds"). There have been American Communists since the inception of Communism.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Greg
Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #50
Keith

American Communists

I also live close to Washington, and when there is a political rally, I like to take my daughter to show her democracy in action, not to participate. At many of the left-leaning rallies, there are communists and semi-communists, some of whom bring red banners similar (although rarely of very high quality) to the old Soviet banners. Many of these people are passing out literature and meeting other people. If they are friendly, occasionally I have mentioned that I collect Soviet political items. They are almost always interested, some have the same hobby, and are very knowledgeable about the history of communism, especially the political mechanics of how the early soviet union worked. I have had some very interesting conversations with these people. As a collector, I would recommend going to observe one of these to anyone who is interested in communism or the history of communism. Is there anyone out there in the forum who is a collector specifically oriented toward American Communism? I am sure there are some very interesting pieces to be had.

Keith