The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 08-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

100th Anniversary Of The Outbreak Of The Great War.

Few of us in Europe and across former European colonies will have been able to ignore the fact that the last couple of weeks have gradually given way to the various hundredth anniversaries of the entry into war. This war completely changed the face of Europe as well as being a key exponent in the creation of the Soviet Union after Revolution and Civil War.

Hundreds of events, personal, local, nation and international have been happening all over those nations touched by the start of hostilities 100 years ago.

I personally attended an event at the Cenotaph at 11am on Monday 4th August and was quite impressed by the size of the turnout.

Seeing as the war touched so many people in so many different ways I though I would share some correspondence from my Great Uncle "Ted" to his mother (my Great-Grandmother) back at home. Ted's story is not the usual tale of going from this island over to France or Belgium to hold a trench but the forgotten service of Royal Naval Reserve Trawler Section.

Somehow the numerous members of my family that have served the nation throughout the years in her armed forces have always been in obscure services or held strange positions such as COPPS reconnaissance, Landing Craft Pilot, Bomb Disposal, Military Prison Guard and lots of other positions that are one thing on paper and a considerably different thing in reality.

Ted ("E") returned home safe after the end of the war by which time his mother "E" had died of old age (his father, my Great-Grandfather dying of old age before he outbreak of war in January 1913) and another "E" Guest (his cousin) had been killed in action and is now remembered on the Cenotaph.

During the Japanese invasion of Malaya in January 1942 Ted's nephew (my first cousin once removed) Donald was killed in action whilst serving in the Royal Norfolks and his name is also on the Cenotaph.

All of us will have had family members in service during the Great War, some returning, others not but none of them around now to tell us about it. Here is just a little insight into one man's service in an almost completely forgotten branch of service in his very own words.

I have been sitting on the following postcards for over 20 years and this is their first airing. I am also trying to obtain his full service record which has been very difficult but seems to be a near reality.

This first postcard dates from 27th August 1916.

"Dear Mother,
Just a line to let you know I am settled down again hoping it finds you all in the pink as I remain your affectionate son Ted"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img635.jpg (121.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg img636.jpg (121.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: 100th Anniversary Of The Outbreak Of The Great War.

This next postcard is from 3 weeks later 14th September 1916.

"Received letter from Sallie to-day (Sallie was his sister)
Dear Mother,
Just a line in answer to the P(ost).C(ard) I received last week
hoping you are all keeping in the pink as I am myself from your loving son Ted".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img633.jpg (121.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg img634.jpg (120.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

This next one was from after stamps were being used on military correspondence. 13th November 1916.

"Dear Mother
Just a line in answer to the B(irthday)-card which I was pleased to receive, & sorry I could not write earlier but I have only just been ashore for these cards, hoping it finds you in the best of health as I remain your affectionate son Ted".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img637.jpg (121.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg img638.jpg (119.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

This postcard home went through the Senior Naval Officer's hand uncensored on 30th September 1917.

"Dear mother,
Just a line to let you know I have arrived at the "Old Base" again & are having plenty of wind & rain here. Well I spent a few good hours in Aberdeen & could have done with a few more to have had a look round all the theatres. I did visit two but hadn't time for any more, we wouldn't know what ailed us if we have a place like that for a Base, it would be something to recompense us in harbour after our trip out.
Well hope this finds you all in the pink as I remain at present, your loving son Ted".

This reference to Theatres exposes one of his passions. After the war he worked as a Compère at a cinema.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img639.jpg (120.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg img640.jpg (123.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Finally a card home to his Brother Jack showing off the flagship of the grand fleet.

The third picture is a map of his home (the lowest marker) and the places his service took him according to his correspondence. Not places we associate with the Great War, not even with the Royal Navy during that period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img642.jpg (112.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg img643.jpg (119.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Places.jpg (70.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Well even though no-one cares, Ted was given a "Mention In Despatches" 13th April 1918 for "The manner in which attack was made on an enemy submarine on 16th February 1918". Not bad for a trawlerman.

He was also awarded £23 16 Shillings "Prize Money" which was an outstanding amount of money at the time (If only my "Prize Money" was paid rather than just awarded).

Another case of generalised euphemism covering true actions. COPRA (etc) anyone?

He also spent 344 days serving aboard Iolaire. A name if anyone is familiar with disasters.