The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #681
aironmeiden

Re: price guides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotk View Post
Emanuele, are you Italian? If you are, then I guess you just misinterpreted "terrific" - it means exactly the opposite as in our language!
Yes i'm italian... i feel totally idiot!
This one is a false friend i didn't know... i translate terrific with "terribile" that means terrible...

Emanuele
aironmeiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #682
marcotk

Eheh, I have been through the same road my friend.. Never mistake "terrific" with "terrifying"
Old 06-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #683
aironmeiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcotk View Post
Eheh, I have been through the same road my friend.. Never mistake "terrific" with "terrifying"
Are you italian?
No perchè se sei italiano in questo forum ci sono più italiani che altro...
aironmeiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #684
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironmeiden View Post
I'm not native-speaker so... was this sarcasm or something?!...
Emanuele,

In english, Liam simply meant that this is a great site. No sarcasm at all.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #685
Lapa

William,

Feel free to post good quality scans of your items if you want to get opinions about their genuineness.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #686
ANZAC

Like it or not it is simple, there is one site on this planet that is used world wide as a price guide for most people. I have no doubt the owner is a great person, but this does not detract from the site being the place to gauge world prices.

Brendan
Old 06-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #687
Norm Braddock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC View Post
Like it or not it is simple, there is one site on this planet that is used world wide as a price guide for most people. I have no doubt the owner is a great person, but this does not detract from the site being the place to gauge world prices.

Brendan
Supply/Demand. He as the seller has the supply, we as consumers have demand. We can choose to buy there or not. Why blame him and why the continuous lamantations from people doing so?

I bring again to your attention my "bought a Stalingrad medal for 5 bucks from Granny at the market". Then the first thing many do is to try to sell it for $60+. Then when it doesn't sell, run,run,run and blame Igor. Makes no sense. Try selling items for a lower margin of profit and then see people buy more.

The hypocrasy of it all is once people get an award, they run to his site, look at the prices then think that their's is the same price. So they list it for 10 bucks less and think that this is some kind of great deal.

The fellas with the websites are businessmen. You can choose to buy from them or not. Can't afford an item? Well, no different than not being able to buy a Big Mac. So why blame them?

READ my posting a few months ago on prices and what forum members would pay. FREE consumer info. LISTEN to what they said. Then perhaps sell Granny's Stalingrad medal for $20 and actually make a sale.
Norm Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #688
ECD3

I have yet to sell any of mine...even though I have multiples of a few campaign medals and such. Call me weird, but I just can't part with my babies...each one has their own flair.

But on to the topic that this topic has now gone to. I have purchased from said dealer. Some I find way over-priced compared to what I find elsewhere, some I find great bargains. Depends what I am looking for and how much I want to spend versus how much they are listed for. I have had amazing dealings with each person I have had business with, each person treating my questions with respect. I'm the kind of person who will return with business if I am treated well (as long as I have money). The market is all messy right now though, with most people either being overpriced or way too low to seem legitimate. One day, too low to seem authentic, next day too high for my price range. Just crazy times and people are trying to get their stock to move. If certain dealers can sell a cheap item for 200% profit, then more power to them. That is capitalism at its finest, unless we want to change that...
ECD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #689
deValcourt

I'm glad everything has cooled down in here. I thought for a while a revolution was at hand
I have had several discussions about the person in question, albeit there were varying opinions as to his value as a seller. The fact is, he has steadily been selling high dollar items at no reserve - you know where - and I just picked up something I wanted at way less than he had it for sale a few months ago. He's testing the waters and I think learning what the market will bear.
I knew my top price and the others who wanted the same thing knew their's (but a bit too late in the bidding). When I buy from him this way, my principles remain intact and I only put up what I'm willing to pay.
I hope he is seeing what I am and that is people are starting to get smarter (or more educated really) while at the same time they are not as quick to part with money these days.
Peace everybody
Old 06-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #690
Sergei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Compared to many of you mine is probably a modest collection - mostly R2, a few R1, one R3 and a handful of common medals.
I've lived with these pieces for almost 20 years and thought maybe other collectors might enjoy some of them. I'm not greedy nor desperate to sell. Just wanted to find out if there was interest.
....William
Hi William,
As a first step, may I suggest something I did myself when I decided to clean up my collection and get rid of duplicates of low-end medals. Instead of struggling with the pricing issue and not wanting to waste my time on E!, I approached one of the dealers I trust (who is a also a Forum member) and asked for the price on the condition that he can sell my medals with a 20-30% profit margin. I have no idea why I chose that figure, it seemed fair to me that the dealer, whose job it is to keep the market running, should be able to make some profit for himself and that he was also taking a risk. It appears, the margin figure was in the right range as it resonanted with both ANZAC and Lapa, although perhaps in a different context.
To cut it short, I got the price, felt comfortable with it and passed my unwanted medals to the dealer. I hope they are in someone else's collection already.
I admit pricing more expensive items may be more difficult, but at least you will have some numbers to work with.
Sergei
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote