The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #11
Art
Forum Founder

Shane,

I like to keep them in sleeves to avoid having the ribbons handled. Also it makes the medal rigid so you can flip them around very easily to see the front and backs. This isn't a real pretty way of having them on display, but I like to handle them and look at both sides of the award.

Art

Art,

I noticed you said you kept the medals in plastic sleeves, so you could handle them without touching them. This may seem like a dumb question, but does handling them cause some problem?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook. [/B][/QUOTE]
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2002, 04:56 PM   #12
Tal Inbar

Displaying groups (the 2 photos are of very known collector and are on his web site):

Another way to display the collection....:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (19.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (19.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg hall3-4.jpg (24.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg hall3-3.jpg (24.4 KB, 1 views)
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 07:58 PM   #13
Skrabichewski

Attaching award docs

"I am curious to know how you had fixed the order booklet to the picture frame. The problem I found when I tried to mount my orders this weekend, was that I actually had some award documents for these, and I can't figure out how to attach or mount them without damaging them. Any suggestions? "

I use the straight pins you get in the packaging when you buy a shirt . I found them to be the least obtrusive.

Dmitry
Skrabichewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 02:02 AM   #14
mcwirsk

Dear Tal

I have found that the best way to store the Soviet awards is to put them into cases. I have found a Jewellers supply store that sells black cases of various sizes with a padded insert. They put their necklaces onto these. I can then attach the screwback items onto the insert board and also have space underneath for the documents and research. The best part is that I can close the box and store it nicely. The material they use in the box and its insert is specially designed that it will not affect silver and gold. This is very important because certain materials will eat away at the medals. I have also found that you must be careful with the plastic envelopes because the cheap ones also react with the medals. You will not notice it now but in a few years you will find a speckled effect on the medals and its impossible to reverse this. I have attached 2 pictures of a small group.

I have a question. Should you clean the medals before you display them. With my British collection I clean the medals, replace the ribbons and in many cases remount them nicely. Reason is that no soldier ever went on parade with dirty medals and old ribbons. He would be charged. What is the "rule" with soviet medals? Surely they were expected to have clean shiny medals with new ribbons.

Coin collectors look for toned specimens but medal collecting is not the same. We collect the stories behind the medals as well. I will only.

Whats the opinion of the fellow forum members.

Regards from the land of sun and barbecues.

I wanted to add something about cleaning the medals. Until recently I cleaned all my soviet groups and replaced ribbons where I had some extra. Now I notice that everyone is talking about toning so I have stopped cleaning them. I only replace the ribbons and remount them on bars. As regards my British collection I still clean them all up and remount unless I get a group that I believe should stay as is. I have attached a scan of such a group that I got recently (sorry for digressing off soviet items) only because I think it captures the character of the group. This is a very old Boer war gallantry group. Otherwise I would be cleaning and remounting.

Many dealers emphasise the toning and patina.

What should we be doing... cleaning and remounting???

Regards from a confused person
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-023s.jpg (36.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mvc-024s.jpg (33.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mvc-005s.jpg (34.4 KB, 0 views)
mcwirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:43 AM   #15
Tal Inbar

Jewlery Boxes are EXCELLENT, especially for groups. A nice little plaque on the top of the box with the person name and rank will do it even more impressive.
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 08:24 AM   #16
mcwirsk

Dear Tal

The plaque on the box is a good idea. I did not think of that. It will look great like that. I will put them on the front of the box so that I can see the name when they are stored away out of site in the cupboard. (So the wife does not get upset with all the stuff laying around.

The real cool thing is that here is plenty space under the black insert to store research and award docs etc.

regards

Munroe
mcwirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 01:58 AM   #17
k3rvmfusa

I use several techniques for storing/displaying my collection.
1. I keep my prized medals/orders in professional wooden display cases.
2. I keep screwback orders and badges in the traditional black bordered "riker mounts" used by collectors. You see these a lot at gun and militaria shows.
3. I keep medals in in 3 ring binders. The English seem to have pioneered this method, and you see many at British flea markets and militaria shows. For medals I use the 6 pocket "photo sheets" that are ideal for medals. They consist of 2 rows of 3 sleeves. The individual pockets are sort of like business card size, but a little bit longer. There are a few dealers in the US that carry them. The great thing about them is that you can see both the front and reverse very readily, and they store neatly on the bookshelf.
4. I store medal documents in archival photo pages as well. I've found the 2 per page size works great for storing the award cards in the open position.
5. The dealers in Moscow circa 1992-1994 used business card folders to store and sell their medals. Another effective mechanism.

I've found a great way to display order books in framed displays.

1. Poke 2 small holes in the display backing where the top and bottom left corners of the award book will be.
2. Take a piece of sturdy string or thin elastic, place it through the book, and poke it through the holes on the display backing.
3. Tie the string on the back. The award book should be firmly attached.
k3rvmfusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:21 PM   #18
Rick

Attaching order books to displays

You might try fishing line... may be less obtrusive and easier to handle.
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:25 PM   #19
Ed Maier

I display my groups in large wooden cases with a glass top (just like the ones you can buy at all the shows), and then hang them on the walls. I have the Order Book opened next to the persons awards and do not need to use string or pins (in most cases). The pressure between the glass and the foam cushion keeps the medals and documents in place without damage.

In the rare cases where I need some help in securing the document from sliding when the case is on the wall, I have used small push pins and placed them under the bottom edge of the document. This acts like a shelf and doesn't damage the document book. And because the pins are so small you can not see them unless you really look.
Ed Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 08:44 PM   #20
k3rvmfusa

Here are some photos for using the string/thread/fishing line method. I've used flexible thread, and you can't really tell its there when looking at it displayed.

Photo 1: string goes through book:

Here is the view from the back. I've displayed the medal using a similiar technique.

The finished product. You can't even tell that the string is there. Note - I made sure to poke my holes very close to the dimensions of the book - even slightly smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg display-book.jpg (9.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg display-book-rev.jpg (3.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg display-book1.jpg (6.9 KB, 0 views)
k3rvmfusa is offline   Reply With Quote