The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #101
SpaceCadet1983

Re: PayPal transaction

Yes, Eric, I've had a string of spoof PayPal emails as well.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #102
Eryk

Ouch! I haven't gotten any PPal spoofs for months now, though there was a spate of them back when (surprise!) I was selling a lot of stuff on eBay...

It's a weird world out there!
Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 AM   #103
Tretov

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world View Post
Why not send your items insured and with proof of delivery?
It seems PayPal does not care about proof of delivery. I think this is turning Kafka ... first eBay more or less force sellers to use PayPal, fast convenient etc - but then there is absolutely no protection when the buyers claim they haven't got the item, or that it was fake - and PayPal rushes in and pulls the money back. That couldn't have been done if the payment was just cash in letter... What seller protection is left? And what's worse - we cant even give these thiefs and bandits the red dots on eBay anymore either!
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 AM   #104
andrew6767

You can get Paypal to see things your way if you are prepared to be forcefull about it.
When they refused me a refund on fake medals , I asked for the name of the person in charge of disputes. Paypal Australia emailed me back and asked why I wanted that information.
I told them that it was my intention to lodge a claim against them in my states Small Claims Court.

Paypal then suddenly saw things my way. As I dealt with people from Paypal Australia they would be more than aware that it only costs me $30 to make a claim and that they would be forced to attend. If they didnt I would win , and if they did , I would win anyway ( as 90% of people do ). I would also be asking for costs as well

I am not sure what consumer protection you guys have in other countries but if you have anything similar Paypal back down very quickly.
andrew6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:03 AM   #105
Lapa

Well, I had exactly the reverse problem with Paypal. I bought a Bulgarian Hero of Labor from a Solvenian seller. He wrote on the auction that it was genuine, etc.
I received the star, and, sure enough, it was white metal gold plated. I opened a claim with Paypal for receiving a fake item, then since we could not reach an agreement, at the end of the claim period I asked for Paypal to review the claim.
To my amazement, within 10 minutes I received a mail from PayPal with their decision: this kind of problem does not fall within the scope of our customer protection insurance (!?! they even had a category for such an event on their claim form), dispute is closed, no appeal possible.

Tell me about customer protection :mad

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:02 AM   #106
ericlida

Going back to my statement:
If we have old eBay rules about negative feedbacks - buyers or sellers would not do any business with dishonest people.
I am a buyer and a seller on eBay. Being a seller on eBay I feel much more unprotected by eBay and PayPal.
DISHONEST PEOPLE - they are the issue
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #107
andrew6767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Well, I had exactly the reverse problem with Paypal. I bought a Bulgarian Hero of Labor from a Solvenian seller. He wrote on the auction that it was genuine, etc.
I received the star, and, sure enough, it was white metal gold plated. I opened a claim with Paypal for receiving a fake item, then since we could not reach an agreement, at the end of the claim period I asked for Paypal to review the claim.
To my amazement, within 10 minutes I received a mail from PayPal with their decision: this kind of problem does not fall within the scope of our customer protection insurance (!?! they even had a category for such an event on their claim form), dispute is closed, no appeal possible.

Tell me about customer protection :mad

Marc
That was exactly what they did to me and why I threatened them with some civil consumer court action.
andrew6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:18 AM   #108
Tretov

Well, I guess I could tell about a positive PP aid when things went wrong!

I bought five Mint of Finland coin sets from a person in USA in early June; it was a few old Finnish Markka sets (pre-Euro) which I intended to give as gifts to my younger brother and sister. The seller did however charge 30 USD for shipping; no fancy shipping but for ordinary air mail - and refused to communicate any about it, I asked for a new total with combined shipping about 10 times. Nothing. He filed a unpaid item claim; and in this communication I again asked for combined shipping (which he had offered in the auction) but he did not seem to understand that 5x6 = 30 is not equal to 3 USD. Strange. But, I paid the higher shipping, thought to reclaim it later. But - no sets arrived and this guy got kicked out from eBay. No mint sets for two months, I filed a complaint with PayPal and two days later they refunded my payment, having decided in my favor.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #109
Bogdan

I've only used Paypal once for buying and even then, Paypal didn't want to pay. I had a credit in my account but they wouldn't let me use it for some odd reason. That was about 6 years ago. Now I get an e-mail from my cousin that says I have "something" in the Texas Unclaimed Property department of the State Comptroller's office. I went immediately to the website to find that it was that credit from 6 years ago that I had tried to use but was not allowed to. Needless to say, I have my credit now and I certainly do not use Paypal for anything. I have received spoof e-mails concerning them and I just delete them. I didn't know that they gave so much heck to the sellers. I already know that if I sell anything of mine, I will not use nor accept the Paypal services but at least I still have my "credit".
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 AM   #110
Tretov

PayPal user agreement change, 13-7: "counterfeit" items

PayPal has updated its user agreement, this is new on refunds for items significantly not as described:

- clarify that a seller will be liable to PayPal if that seller loses a Claim from a buyer with a PayPal account registered anywhere in the world. The relevant part of section 13.7 now reads as follows: “Sellers: As a seller you are liable to PayPal if you lose a Claim from a buyer with a PayPal account registered anywhere in the world. This includes, without limitation, where you sell to a buyer who is a Full Programme User and the buyer files a SNAD Claim, in which case you will generally be required to accept the item back and refund the buyer the full purchase price plus original shipping costs. You will not receive a refund on your PayPal fees. If you lose a Significantly Not as Described Claim because the item you sold is counterfeit, you will be required to provide a full refund to the buyer and you will not receive the item back (it will be destroyed)."

The item will be destroyed, but by who? And who will make the judgment on whether the item is actually a fake or not? There are very few people within our hobby that actually does authentications on awards, and for some reason I doubt that PayPal will go as far as allowing the item to be sent for authentication. I am afraid that they will rather go for the buyer claim and issue the refund - but what happens to the item? Is it PayPal or the buyer who is to 'destroy' it? I guess it is time to be more careful by means of accepting PayPal from buyers that are not known.