The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #921
deValcourt

Re: Storing medals

It comes in two pieces - the based with four drawers, two wide and deep with a locking front "door" and I think it was intended for guns. But, the felt or velvet-like lining in all the drawers make this perfect for storing all kinds of awards.

The top section comes off (by picking it up by the handles on either side) and you can get the pieces separately. I just started labeling the drawers as I gradually figure out what I will keep in them. The top section is just for stuff that doesn't have a specific drawer yet.

Phillip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Storage drawers2.jpg (76.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg storage drawers3.jpg (40.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Storage drawers4.jpg (25.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 AM   #922
Esteban_cool

That´s one nice and stylish drawer!
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #923
ph3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_cool View Post
That´s one nice and stylish drawer!

+ 1

Only one thin you need to worry about is humility
Old 06-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #924
Lapa

Very cool

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #925
EricFG

Man, lookit that awesome medal chest!!! Chock full o' goodies.....
Phillipe Lafitte, medal pirate. Arghhhh!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #926
acer

Very nice display and thanks for the tips.

Is there any risk of damage to medals by keeping them in plastic sleeves/envelopes for long periods of time?. I have been reading previous threads regarding plastic medal sleeves and it seems opinions vary as to wheather these are safe or not for long term storage.

Just want to keep the few medals I have so far in the best shape possible.

Thanks again for all your help
acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #927
deValcourt

Thanks for all the compliments about the chest of drawers - the same company just put them on clearance (even cheaper than they were to start so PM me if you want the link) and you can buy just the top part, which is how I started. I think with shipping it's under $90 for the main part with the lid.

I put it next to my computer desk so it is within quick reach for reference which makes it really useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3s View Post
+ 1

Only one thin you need to worry about is humility
You guys are the first ones to see it. It's in a room with all my other Soviet stuff that no one is allowed in or can see just by looking around - and believe me when I tell you I only photographed drawers that were mostly full. There is still plenty of empty drawer space left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer View Post
Very nice display and thanks for the tips.

Is there any risk of damage to medals by keeping them in plastic sleeves/envelopes for long periods of time?. I have been reading previous threads regarding plastic medal sleeves and it seems opinions vary as to wheather these are safe or not for long term storage.

Just want to keep the few medals I have so far in the best shape possible.

Thanks again for all your help
Not to stir up another long-winded debate, but I was under the impression that if it is a non-reactive, acid-free plastic designed for long-term storage of paper (which all of the ones I have are) then you were safe for years of storage of anything.

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 06-26-2010 at 11:22 AM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:38 AM   #928
Lapa

Phillip,

What are your chest dimensions

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #929
deValcourt

Acer, you best bet if you don't have a large number of medals is to get an inexpensive shadow box and display them. An average sized one is about 10"x15" and usually come with some kind of material you can pin the medals to or you can add your own material (see the "How to Display..." thread for good ideas). I also prefer the kind that have a door instead of fixed glass so I can get at the awards if I need to see the reverse, check serial numbers, or just "hold it and squeeze it, and love it..." (old WB cartoon joke). I only have a few of my "better" medals and orders in the sleeves and they are usually not in there for more than a few months at a time.

Or, get yourself something like this (below) or an even easier method is a fishing tackle box - several people have told me they use this method when they first start out. Again, you will see all sorts of ideas in the "Display" thread.

Phillip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Phillip,

What are your chest dimensions

Marc
Marc, in the event that you are making a serious inquiry, the dimensions are as follows (from the website listing):

Storage Chest - 24 x 11 x 17 1/2"h. 6 smaller drawers each measure 11 3/8 x 10 1/4 x 1 1/4"deep, 3 larger drawers measure 10 1/4 x 23 x 1 7/8"deep. Top compartment is 11 x 24 x 1 1/2"deep.

Wood Storage Base - 4 felt-lined drawers, (two 11 7/8 x 9 1/2 x 1 3/4"d., one 24 1/4 x 9 1/8 x 1 3/4"d., one is 24 1/4 x 9 1/2 x 2 1/2"d. Large felt-lined panel can be used as a work area or can be slid under the drawers out of the way. Metal handles on sides. Pairs with Chest. 25 1/4 x 11 1/2 x 11"h. Weighs 27 lbs., 14 ozs.

There is another one with black felt lining and is both a little smaller and cheaper. It really is convenient since I collect more badges and screw backs than anything else, and is small enough to fit just about anywhere. I picked this set because of the number of smaller drawers

Disclaimer: I do not work for, nor am I affiliated in any way with the company that sells these pieces. I do not receive any compensation/benefits or other remuneration from said company and these are strictly my personal opinions based on experience with the product. (Just in case anyone was wondering if I'm an Amway salesman.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 166006_ts[1].jpg (13.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 03:19 PM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #930
acer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValcourt View Post
you best bet if you don't have a large number of medals is to get an inexpensive shadow box and display them.
Phillip
Thanks for the suggestion deValcourt. Will probable go with a solid wood display case or perhaps riker cases. I am hopeing my collection will grow so I can permanently diplay them rather than keeping them in plastic sleeves.
acer is offline   Reply With Quote