The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 04-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #31
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREAKLY View Post

In my opinion, the only thing that should have been done differently was the description of the nature of Paul's involvement. I can clearly see now that choice of the word "approved by Paul" in that conext was a bad idea (although "viewed and OKeyed" or something similar sounded equally bad). However, please keep in mind that for all of the MedalHouse staff English happens to be the second language. Does anyone here really think that unintentional wrong choice of words ("approved expert" vs. "approved by expert") made by a non-native English speaker caused entire auction to "fail miserably" (I quote one of the forum members)?

This has devolved into two discussions - the original, your portrayal of Paul McDaniel's approval and second, Russia's "squeeze" on your auction.

I'll stick to the initial point since I agree with you on the second.

If you're want to compete in the international market and in a foreign language, it would be best to do things professionally. In a small market where reputations are of extreme importance, you unintentionally created the impression that Paul McDaniel had approved your items' authenticity. You've admitted this wasn't so and your catalog is photographic evidence. Using English as a second language is a weak excuse and in that, you "failed miserably", harming your future endeavors, however originally well-intentioned and potentially Paul's reputation.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #32
GREAKLY

Quote:

Originally Posted by desantnik

you unintentionally created the impression that Paul McDaniel had approved your items' authenticity. You've admitted this wasn't so and your catalog is photographic evidence
The only thing MedalHouse admitted was badly worded description of Pau's involvement in the process. Nothing else. So I am not sure what exactly you refer to by saying "this wasn't so" and "your catalog is photographic evidence"? Evidence of what??? Aside (and beside) from "creating the impression of Paul's approval" ALL Soviet items in the catalog are also guarenteed to be authentic or you get your money back. So any actual (!) buyer of any Soviet item featured in the MedalHouse catalog is strongly encouraged to diplay his purchase on this or any other forum, so that all members could take a better look at it and express their well-reasoned opinions. If there is any doubt, the buyer is recommended to send the item to Paul and get the CoA. Should the CoA say the item is a fake the buyer would get full refund (including commission and the cost of the CoA) along with deep and sincere appologies.

That's the procedure. Any further non-originality claims should be based on facts, not rumors or impressions. As presumption of the innocence (which many people seem to forget) says: "Everyone is innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt". As of today, no return claims have been made and no items were found to be copies or fakes. I still believe MedalHouse did an excellent job, as ALL Soviet items featured in the auction were shown to Paul, brought for viewing to the largest number of potential buyers and came with full money back guarantee.

For those still in doubt and in order to show the difference between an honest auction house and a crooked one try to read the following (the author of the web site is a well-known European collector and has absolutely no connection to the MedalHouse auction):

**************************************/forg.shtml

Last edited by GREAKLY; 04-22-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #33
GREAKLY

I just realized the system removed the link. Sorry. Here is the text from that website (I removed the name of the actual auction house in order not to be accused in dirty competition tactics):

Quote:

4 July 2004

I would like to warn all collectors about my experience with the ..... Auction House that knowingly sells fakes and later refuses to take any responsibility. I do so after several failed attempts to bring obvious fakes to their attention. After beibng ignored for months I finally received an email: "...you have bid for a lot and we can't examine each item for original. It's one lot with a lot of items in it. Sorry. regards Auktionshaus .....".

So much for after-sale guarantees ... all I can add is that I should not have believed that they sell originals only (I called to ask that specifically before the auction) and any buyer should always insist on high quality scans and a money back guarantee inspection period before buying.

In my case it concernes a lot from the 15th Auction which included two Orders of Glory that I was told on the phone are 3rd class and original. One was in fact a crudely converted 3rd class to 2nd class (slopily applied gold paint to center relief with the number on reverse crudely altered) and the other is a cast copy (alluminium?) of a 3rd class, with red paint in place of enamel and at first sight not from silver! In both cases VERY obvious fakes but the ..... Auction House maintains that it did not NOTICE and refuses to take any responsibility! As far as I am concerened this dealer is thoroughly unprofessional so keep away if you value your money! See yourselves on scans below what Mr. ..... overlooked and feel free to warn your friends about my experience (click on the thumnails below to see the detailed avers and reverse).
Based on this real-life story every collector can make his own opinion as to which attempt "failed miserably" and which did not...

Last edited by GREAKLY; 04-22-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #34
Lapa

Greakly,

I believe that everyone on this forum knows about this German auction house.

Marc
Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #35
Bob

What does another auction have to do with the issue at hand here?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #36
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Bob,

You are right about that

Marc
Old 04-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #37
GREAKLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob
The issue here was slight miscommunication regarding Paul's involvment as described in the welcoming letter of the MedalHouse auction. Some members of the forum tend to exaggerate a simple miswording to make it sound like a serious problem. The story about the other auction is just an example of how the REAL problem looks like.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:06 AM   #38
Dante688i

Not to Interrupt. . .

To Greakly, Jani, et all -

I know this may not be the perfect pause in the discussion to make this comment, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate your effort to respond to this issue on our forum.

While my own opinions on the issues at hand have already been forward by other members, I'd like to make it clear that I feel (and I believe other forum members would agree) your choice to actually participate in the conversation is very commendable.

And although it might seem that opinions were already set or that judgement was already passed, I think that a discussion where all of those interested are heard from directly, will benefit everyone in the end!

- Sean
Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #39
matteti

There will be another auction at the end of March from this Finnish company. It will be interesting to see how much soviet stuff will be offered and if price will be in line with the prices we've seen at the last New York sale...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:20 AM   #40
Riley1965

Medal House

Guys,
If Paul Schmitt says to stay clear of it and Paul McDaniel is pissed at them...THIS IS AN AUCTION TO AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! Until I read this, I was going to ask for a catalogue, especially with Gregory involved. But, NOT NOW!!!

Doc