The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > German Democratic Republic > DDR Badges

Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
Ralph Pickard

Stasi Academy Badges.

Hello all - I would be interested in seeing fellow members variant white and blue to stasi academy badges. :thumbsup
Ralph Pickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
deValcourt

Re: Stasi Academy Badges.

Okay Ralph, here's my first one. Are the background colors (white/blue) significant? I'm sure there is some distinction, but it's still new to me.

The first photo is of the badge in its plastic presentation case on velvet-like pinkish-red supporting backing. The next two are close-ups of obverse and reverse.

I noticed that the blue color darkens near the corners of the triangle. It could be from glue holding the backing in place - just a thought. Regardless, the remaining photos show the badge in different lighting which in turn shows more color variations and the plastic? resin? coating over the obverse of the badge.

I'm also not certain about the construction of the badge. In the picture of the reverse, there are to small grey dots that look like "rivets" used to hold something in place (on Soviet badges in my experience), but their locations are too low to correspond to the sword and shield emblem on the obverse.

As to the emblem itself, like most of the Soviet and Warsaw Pact countries with state security organizations, the sword and shield motif is used and though the sword is pointing downward (as opposed to most US and other Western agencies/specific military groups where a sword is part of an emblem or seal) it is cocked to one side rather than strictly vertical. This variation, together with the unusual shape of the shield, make this emblem stand out from its contemporaries - in my opinion.

Phillip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stasi grad.jpg (19.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Stasi grad 1.jpg (24.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Stasi grad rev.jpg (22.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
deValcourt

The first photo shows the thick clear coat of material over the obverse and the other a more direct shot (perpendicular to the badge) which seems to make the dark blue background a little brighter. In both cases, however, the darker corners are still noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stasi grad 2.jpg (43.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Stasi grad 3.jpg (45.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Ralph Pickard

Hello Phillip - thanks for adding your badges to this thread. :thumbsup

There is a difference between the white and blue academy badges. The white badge was for personnel who attended the JHS university in Potsdam. The blue badge worn by MfS personnel was for other university or other technical schools.

Your first blue badge in post two is an early variant. Your other badge in post three is also a early variant, but at the moment I can not tell if it is the same variant as the one in post two or a later one. Could you please show a picture of the back.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Pickard View Post
Your first blue badge in post two is an early variant. Your other badge in post three is also a early variant, but at the moment I can not tell if it is the same variant as the one in post two or a later one. Could you please show a picture of the back.
Ralph, I did not intend to mislead you or anyone else, but all of the photos are of the same badge. However, your doubts as to that do lead me back to a point I raised some time ago about badges coated with that plastic resin material. It has always been my contention that the clear coating is not entirely clear and causes variations in the appearance of the color and sometimes texture of whatever it covers.

This also brings up another point I have observed with the aid of my new photo "box." The inexpensive kit comes with two lamps that are focused through diffusing walls of the cube-shaped tent. Nifty rig and it allows for experimentation with lighting (which I'm still learning about). One of the observations I have made is that direct lighting is still effective for minute details in very close-up shots. Another observation is that, somehow, the background color has an impact on how we perceive the colors in the object being photographed. These are strictly subjective observations and conclusions, so if what I've said is already common knowledge to, let's say - interior designers or painters, then please take it easy on me guys with the :doh:clapclap or other similar responses.;)

I know this is wandering off topic, so I recommend any further discussion about photographing awards be moved to http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...ollection.html (or some other similar thread).

Phillip
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Ralph Pickard

Phillip - no issues at all and thanks about the heads up about the badge photos. Now knowing what you said, I will further say that your badge is very much worth keeping since it is an early variant. :thumbsup
Old 12-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Pickard View Post
Phillip - no issues at all and thanks about the heads up about the badge photos. Now knowing what you said, I will further say that your badge is very much worth keeping since it is an early variant. :thumbsup
Seems I just read something to that effect elsewhere...:thumbsup

Thanks again,
P.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Taz

Hi,
Post 14 of this thread has a mention of the two kinds of badges but no real details

http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...on-badges.html

Regards Eddie
Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Ralph Pickard

Eddie - Thanks for the link. The two pictured MfS academy badges are later variant badges.