The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #541
Jeffrey Meffert

I wish

"Keep up the good work (and sell off your extras in the Marketplace here )."
Hard to define what an extra really is. I'm kinda of deep into soviet cloth and I need all the shiny things to fill all the holes in the uniforms. I have over 40 red stars but fewer than half a dozen loose. It was a treat to get an extra 40's guards badge though as 70's shiny brass one looks quite odd on an M43.
The DoL has already been cannibalized for a Marshal Meretzkov parade uniform.
Jeffrey Meffert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #542
jefflgarrison

Ok, I have been vindicated. Not one of the eight stars sold. Yes, I help myself from purchasing the MzPP stars.

Glad to see there are some sane people still left around. Now to see if they put them back up for the same price or realize that the prices they use were grossly over stated.

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
jefflgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #543
Brian

Anybody else track and listen to the NYC auction last night?

I couldn't believe the prices things were going for. I tracked several of the early coins to see how they were selling compared to their estimate values. The average high end Russian coin seemed to be going for 3-10 times its estimate. I told myself that this can't possibly be the case when we get to the Soviet medals right. Here were some of the "hammer" prices for some of the Soviet stuff (keep in mind there is also a 12% buyer's premium on top of this). They don't seem to have the final bids posted anywhere, but here is what i remember:

Gold Head order of lenin with book: $150,000 (ten times posted reasonable estimate)
Silver head order of lenin: $43,250
Platimum head screwback orders of lenin: $14,000
Red Banner screwback (non mirror back): over $3000
RB screwback #2: i think was like $24,000
Red star with SN 18K: $1,500
BoH screwback with book SN 8K,1939: like $30,000

Several other orders went for ballpark of what was reasonable by dealer's prices. But how could anyone possible pay some of these prices?

There was one time that auctioneer said things would be going smoother if he spoke russian, or something like this. Are all of these items going back to Russia? I know the US dollar is weak but wow. What does this say about the future of the hobbie?

I wish I had had my collection in this auction as I get be retiring real early.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #544
ericlida

I did.
I even tried to buy few awards, but the prices went too high
I don't remember all the prices of the awards either. The highest prices where for Orders of Red Banner of different Republics. From $30,000 to $150,000
Eric

Last edited by ericlida; 01-11-2008 at 12:57 PM.
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #545
Brian

Iterestingly I see the Gold Head Lenin that was on one of the major dealer's site and was selling for ~$11k is gone. Did someone scoop it up after seeing the $150k ($168k with buyers premium) that the one went for in the auction. The $11k one had been listed for quite some time.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #546
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Iterestingly I see the Gold Head Lenin that was on one of the major dealer's site and was selling for ~$11k is gone. Did someone scoop it up after seeing the $150k ($168k with buyers premium) that the one went for in the auction. The $11k one had been listed for quite some time.
This could be the dealer himself pulling it out.

It's easy sell to Russia after $150K brother, all you have to say - hey, I have one at 80% discount and sell it for $30K instead of $11K it was listed...
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 PM   #547
AlexF.

Brian, I don't know how, but you've managed to make mistakes on pretty much everything, starting from buyer's fee. The only things you got correctly were Gold Head Lenin and Red Banner 2nd award screwback
But regardless, the prices were indeed shocking, to say the least.
And no, Gold Head on Igor's site just happen to sell about the same time, for 11K, pure coincident. I spoke to Igor at Eagle's show last Saturday. Beside, not only it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to the one on NYC's auction, but also it's not even collectable, the reverse was mutilated, starting from serial number, and ending with screw and it's base.
Not sure why anybody at this particular forum so interested in prices realized, but I have a MS-Word document with them, covering all 3 auctions, I tried to attach it, but file size is 173K, forum didn't allow it... Sorry...
AlexF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #548
Brian

I was quoting the buyer's fee straight from the "Terms of Sale" posted in "interactive online catalogue" link from the dealer's front page:

11. All lots are subject to a 12% Buyer's fee which will be added to the hammer price.

However, I do see that if you got to the PDF of the catalog is says the exact same thing but 15%.

Since I haven't yet seen a prices realized list yet I had to go off of memory on the prices and I think I quoted several as approximates. I'm sure I wasn't too far off on the others.

I'm always curious as to what prices things are going for as I think it is a good way to feel how the market it trending. I expected there to be some bidding wars on several items, including the gold head that choice. I just had no idea that it would end up like that.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #549
matteti

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexF. View Post
Brian, I don't know how, but you've managed to make mistakes on pretty much everything, starting from buyer's fee. The only things you got correctly were Gold Head Lenin and Red Banner 2nd award screwback
But regardless, the prices were indeed shocking, to say the least.
And no, Gold Head on Igor's site just happen to sell about the same time, for 11K, pure coincident. I spoke to Igor at Eagle's show last Saturday. Beside, not only it's NOT EVEN CLOSE to the one on NYC's auction, but also it's not even collectable, the reverse was mutilated, starting from serial number, and ending with screw and it's base.
Not sure why anybody at this particular forum so interested in prices realized, but I have a MS-Word document with them, covering all 3 auctions, I tried to attach it, but file size is 173K, forum didn't allow it... Sorry...
Hello Alex, if you really want to share with us it would be greatly appreciated. Could you zip the document and post it here. Text document can easily be compressed to good ratio. Maybe you could even transfer it to a .txt (text) file before zipping for better compression. Or you can always put it on two different word files (each less than 100kb).

Thanks.
matteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #550
AlexF.

Well, forum doesn't allow zip files, either

Anyway, download the Word document, than RENAME .doc to .zip (it's a zip file, actually), than unzip it, and you should end up with original MS-Word document, 173K in size...

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: doc prNYS17_19.doc (38.3 KB, 46 views)
AlexF. is offline   Reply With Quote