The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

View Poll Results: Repair or not
Leave the damn thing alone! Don't mess with what looks like a period repair 12 54.55%
Have the solder removed to make the serial number readable 9 40.91%
Repair the enamel only 0 0%
Remove the solder AND repair the enamel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2002, 07:51 AM   #11
Tal Inbar

Art,

The relative of mine had an order of Lenin, 2 order of the red banner, order of Alexander Nevsky, orders of the GPW (1st and 2nd class) and some medals.
To my sorrow, I learned about the awards after he died and his family gave them away - I saw only pictures.
Another relative had many awards from the 1920's and 1930's, including order of Lenin and Red banner of the RSFSR - but all was left in the USSR.

Tal
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2002, 08:28 AM   #12
Art
Forum Founder

To bad Tal...I can sympathize with you though..my great great grandfather fought in the American Civil War on the Northern side. He had a musket rifle that was in the family until the 1960's, when my grandfather sold it. I'll bet similar sad stories account for 90% of the awards we all own..

BTW, here is a closeup of the number of the award mentioned in the McDaniel letter. Upon close inspection the entire "starpoint" the serial number occupies had been sanded down by what appears to be a wire-brush of some sorts. Probably one of those wire-brush motorized discs that are used for cleaning rusty metal.

Art
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 782.jpg (11.6 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Art; 03-30-2002 at 08:31 AM.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #13
Nota Bene

Fake Patina

This piece is original in every respect, including the serial number. Fake patina was applied to match that of some fake items apparently sold as a lot. Note variations in color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fake5.jpg (4.8 KB, 196 views)
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:36 PM   #14
new world

Modified Awards

There's an auction in process on eBay for the group of awards to a Soviet veteran.

Interesting enough, all screwbacks in this group were converted to pinbacks!!!

This is the first time I see anything like this done to the high Soviet orders - Nevsky and GPW 1st class. We usually read about the conversion from old suspensions to screwbacks, but this group is something unusual.

I would be curious to see other modifications done officially as well as by veterans themselves.

New World
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screwback to pinback 2.jpg (25.2 KB, 113 views)
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #15
Tal Inbar

Just wait to the reply be Dave, he is the seller...It is very common among veterans. If you were a veteran, I am sure that the last thing you would want is to have large holes in the suit, due to screw back orders.

Tal

Last edited by CtahhR; 01-01-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 05:49 PM   #16
Nota Bene

Also note, that the pins are in fact cut down WWII period medal suspensions. Interesting!

I have seen an OGPW 2nd mutilated in a very similar way.

Alexei
Old 06-12-2002, 11:53 PM   #17
Doug

I really like this group a lot. To me, these modifications add something to the personality of the group. I don't see it as mutilation but rather as a part of the history of the group. In fact, I've been fighting the urge to bit on it. If he lowers the price any further, I'll be "forced" to buy it even though I have a couple of similar groups already.

All the best,

Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:19 PM   #18
Nota Bene

Doug,

I take back the "mutilation", bad choice of word.

Alexei
Old 06-14-2002, 10:04 PM   #19
Dave

I consider it to be 'character', vice 'mutilation'. But of course, as Alexei (Nota) knows well, I like awards that have a little (or more!) wear on them!

The fellow I bought this group from in the FSU was going to have the screwbacks replaced on the awards, but I quickly stopped that! This was how the vet wore them- why should I change that? I didn't include a scan of the back of the Guards badge, but it was also converted as well, also using the same older pinback.

As I am leaving soon for an extended deployment with the Navy, the group has been locked up in my safe, to be offered again sometime early next year...

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 05:36 AM   #20
REDMAXIM2001
Banned

I was thinking that my Order of Glory 3rd was in a poor condition, specially its 5-suspension ribbon, but lately I´ve seen a lot of Orders of Glory in poorer condition.

It´s said that almost all of the Orders of Glory 2nd have damaged its gold plating.

It looks like Orders of Glory guys weared their medals rigth in the assaults...

Why this orders generally look to be in poorer condition that others??!!

Thanks, gentelmen

Here is my poor condition Glory 3rd

& suspension with ribbon.

It looks so bad that looks a fake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glory3_a.jpg (61.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg glory3_a_ribb.jpg (73.3 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 09-30-2012 at 12:24 PM.
REDMAXIM2001 is offline   Reply With Quote