The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #21
andrew6767

Re: Reorganization of material in the "Paper Items" forum

I would suggest not going too in depth. Empty forums are dead forums so you really need to make sure you have something to put in them. If you dont , the site in general looks like it is light on traffic because of empty sub/forums and can put people off visiting it. Perhaps it is worth waiting until you have " X " amount of threads on a topic before a particular forum or sub forum is made ?

Well thats my observations of running a large VBulletin forum for 10 years It is a battle to get and keep web traffic.

I would encourage all members here to make sure they drop in reguarly. I would also recommend that if they can afford it that they become a subscribing member and put a little bit in financially here each year. Although I no longer collect soviet medals and orders , I do visit the site at least daily just click on the " new posts button " to have a read. Although I am no longer collecting , it doesnt mean I dont still have an interest in it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #22
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Simon, sorry, my message may have been a bit short. That's what happens when I type before my morning coffee. Excellent work. I really appreciate the effort you made in trying to get a handle on this massive heap of information. Can everyone try and find the cyrillic text that would be on the paper/documents for the docs in Simons list? I'd like to try something.

For example the word GRAMOTA, ORDENSKAYA KNISHKA, etc..
Do you just want us to PM you with Cyrillic texts like: Грамота, Пропуск (lots of these out there from the GPW years and immediatelty afterward), Мандат, Свидетельство, etc?

Phillip
Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 AM   #23
Art
Forum Founder

Yes..post them here. Say for example I was an inexperienced collector. I picked up this beautiful document and on the front in large text, was the russian word "Грамота". I'd want to know what that word meant (so provide the English transliteration for convenience) so that if I do not have access to a cyrillic keyboard, I can accurately call it a "Gramota".

So, please post all of them here from Simons list that we might be interested in either forming a group for, or including it within the scope another group.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #24
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yes..post them here. Say for example I was an inexperienced collector. I picked up this beautiful document and on the front in large text, was the Russian word "Грамота". I'd want to know what that word meant (so provide the English transliteration for convenience) so that if I do not have access to a Cyrillic keyboard, I can accurately call it a "Gramota".

So, please post all of them here from Simons list that we might be interested in either forming a group for, or including it within the scope another group.
Okay. Hopefully after work tomorrow I can post a list. But before I make this more complicated than it has to be, you are talking about just the transliteration (e.g. - Пропуск = "Propusk") or do you want the English word for it as well (e.g. - Пропуск = "Propusk" (Pass))? It seems to me that regardless of what keyboard I have, I'd ultimately want the English version or definition of the Russian to at least get the sense of what I am holding or looking at buying.

Am I making this more difficult than it has to be yet?

Phillip
Old 03-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #25
Art
Forum Founder

Good suggestion Phillip. As long as we are assembling all the information, why not have the English translation at hand just in case we want to do something with it. Perhaps we can put together an identification guide that gets posted as a sticky in each of the paper sub-forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValcourt View Post
Okay. Hopefully after work tomorrow I can post a list. But before I make this more complicated than it has to be, you are talking about just the transliteration (e.g. - Пропуск = "Propusk") or do you want the English word for it as well (e.g. - Пропуск = "Propusk" (Pass))? It seems to me that regardless of what keyboard I have, I'd ultimately want the English version or definition of the Russian to at least get the sense of what I am holding or looking at buying.

Am I making this more difficult than it has to be yet?

Phillip