The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-27-2003, 05:19 PM   #51
Chris
Banned

Hike in Prices

Changing the subject slightly but I believe with relevance.

The price increase is because of supply and demand not Russian criminals.....these nasty bastards did not buy them.

Looking around all the shops in Tallinn there is next to nothing with regard to medals.

The usual fakes and low denomination types.

My combat indictor is looking for the Order of the Pat war.

There are no first class for sale...I did see some 2nd class screwbacks today ....the first time for a while.

I am seeing 1st and 2nd class on hangers which are excellently produced but the light weight and large number engraving gives them away as fakes.

Prices will rise if there is a demand as there are medals few.

Prices in America can be better than here but when they have to resupply.....

Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2003, 02:29 PM   #52
tashkentski

Arrested for taking medals out of Russia

Since Putin's decree banning the export of any soviet medal/order, it appears that the authorities are tightening up. Here is an article from Moscow Times, dated 19th June.

U.S. Officer Detained At Khabarovsk Airport

By Simon Saradzhyan Staff Writer
A 39-year-old U.S. Army sergeant faces up to seven years behind bars after being detained at the Khabarovsk airport in the Far East on suspicion of trying to smuggle World War II medals out of the country, the State Customs Committee said Wednesday.

The American was boarding a flight to Seoul, South Korea, when customs officials found a "For Victory Over Germany" medal, a "For Defense of Stalingrad" medal and several other Soviet decorations in his luggage, Interfax reported, citing the far eastern branch of the State Customs Committee.

The man was taken off the flight and ordered to

remain in Khabarovsk while the police decide whether to charge him with trying to smuggle out cultural treasures, airport official Pavel Kilin was quoted by The Associated Press as saying.

Customs officials also found in his luggage a "Red Star" order and two "For Combat Valor" medals, Interfax said.

The American bought the medals for $200 at a souvenir shop, local customs officials said.

State Customs Committee spokesman Alexander Proshin said customs had confiscated the medals.

The U.S. Embassy declined comment, citing privacy concerns.

Kilin told the AP that the American entered Russia on a tourist visa and married a Russian woman during his visit.

Russian law says that historical items and artifacts -- including wartime medals -- can only be taken out of the country with the written permission of authorities. Violators face a fine or a prison sentence of three to seven years.

However, souvenir sellers often do not tell customers about the strict regulations.

This was the second seizure at the Khabarovsk airport in a year. Last summer, customs officials stopped a Chinese citizen who was preparing leave the country with a valuable map from the Russian-Japanese war in his pocket.

Meanwhile, the State Customs Committee said Wednesday that a U.S. citizen has been charged with attempted smuggling after trying to board a flight from Yekaterinburg in the Urals to Frankfurt, Germany, with a crucifix from the late 19th or early 20th century.

Proshin said the American was a Mormon missionary in his early 20s. He said the American told customs officials that he found the crucifix in a local apartment long used by Mormon missionaries.

Police have opened an investigation, and the young man has been ordered to stay in Yekaterinburg pending trial, Proshin said.

BE AFRAID
tashkentski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #53
DougD

///

great article, thanks for posting it.

DougD
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 04:31 PM   #54
Lapa

Hi Guys,

Well, for what it's worth, I came back from St Petersburg just one month ago. As you can imagine, having read and heard all the horror stories before going, I stayed away from medals and orders like the plage, but managed to pick up some supposedly "inane" items with respect to Customs (an M55 2-star general jacket, a rear admiral's jacket, and a bunch of badges). Needless to say, I was feeling more and more uneasy as time to leave drew closer.

Well, StP airport was quite an experience. Yes, they did x-ray everything (and I mean everything), yes there were Customs officers waiting nearby, but yes, there was a "Nothing to Declare" lane that was leading straight to the registration counters (guess which way I chose ).

So, all that to say that I went straight through without anybody asking me anything, and I was apparently not the only one in this case.

Marc

PS: Overweight baggage was not an issue either. Go figure...
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #55
DougD

Pulkova

Pulkova 1 and 2 are easier to fly out of "with stuff" than is SVO in Moscow. I have flown out of both a couple of times and they always seem very lackluster. I have found this at the more regional airports too, the exception being Volgograd where they were very nosy about things being taken, though nothing was confiscated.

The best way to get stuff out is in St.pete; first, the train is a good bet. I have taken in to Finland and although customs gets on they don't seem to be able to match every bag with a person and so they did not search much.

Though I have never tried it, I imagine the best way must be the floating hotels / cruise ships i St.Pete. They stay there for a few days and I guess you could load up on whatever you wanted, bring it to you cabin, hide it under the bed so to speak, and sail off in the morning. I can't believe that anyone would check the entire ship nor every cabin. Anyone see a hole in this plan?

DougD
Old 07-05-2003, 05:08 PM   #56
scook17

Are you allowed to take out WW2 posters and the like, or do they come under the 'cultural treasures' regulations as well?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 05:32 PM   #57
Chris
Banned

My dealings with Russian Customs

I crossed the border in Narva.... and they where very hostile towards me.

This wanted to know why I wanted to go to Russian and when I said I wanted to see Russian and its culture etc.

They made fun of it.

They made it obvious there was little to see and could not understand why a brit would want to visit for these reasons.

I had a fantastic time.

OK I have a hump about Russian customs.

Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:52 PM   #58
DougD

///

The Museum of The Revolution in Moscow was low on funds last year and they were actually selling off some of their posters, originals.

I picked up two original 1920 Civil War posters from them ( amazing condition), hand carried them out and never had a problem. "Paper" of any sort just does not seem to get them all excited, so I would not worry about WWII posters. The greater threat is getting sold repro posters as original wartime.

DougD
Old 07-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #59
Nota Bene

Re: End of story

Gentlemen,

I think a little explanation is in order - Chris's membership has been suspended twice not because of his divergent views on a medal, but because of his chronic inability to behave himself within civilized borders in a multinational forum, use of foul language, and insulting other users (not just one). On both occasions the reasons were clearly explained to him.

Alexei

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris

I have been banned twice due to a difference with one person (over one medal difference) who actually I know, I would quite like on the ground.

Last edited by Nota Bene; 07-05-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 09:50 PM   #60
kabanchik

I left Russia from Sheremetyevo II (Moscow) this past June, and all the customs boys seemed interested in was whether my wife and I had any paintings in a bag she was carrying in her hand. "This bag?", she asked."Yes", they repeated. "No, not in THIS bag", she explained, never bothering to inform them that the bags that I was pushing and pulling contained several paintings, uniforms, uniform accesories galore, posters, old books, a titanium MiG25 builder's presentation model, and literally HUNDREDS of historical old photographs. We didn't try to take out orders or medals, this time. I was very anxious, though.....as usual, until well clear of Russian Customs. I WAS carrying a cheap souvnier balalaika (a gift of relatives, I couldn't refuse it) over my shoulder, which produced chuckles as we went through the airport, leaving the impression that we were harmless tourists, no doubt. Perhaps it served as effective camouflage!
kabanchik is offline   Reply With Quote