The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-09-2002, 06:00 AM   #1
Tal Inbar

How To Store And Display Awards.

I know it may sound odd, but I realy want to know how you keep the orders and medals. I keep the medals in display trays, with clear plastic on the upper side and red velvet inside. The screw-back orders, however, don'fit in the case...

So, any pics will be welcomed!

Tal
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2002, 08:04 AM   #2
Mahdi

Well here are some of my photos, which are unfortunately not so up-to-date yet, but I figured I'd post them anyway. I used a digital camera, which forced me to take more than one picture, and then align them together using photoshop. The red background is velvet, the whole thing has a dark wooden frame-box (it's deep) around it. I make holes in the actual platform in order to hold the screwback orders. The order I am using for mine is from highest to lowest, orders and medals each separately. I also do not keep my variations there, so I am not sure how I am going to go about this. I also have a wall of documents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medals.jpg (62.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg orders.jpg (34.5 KB, 7 views)
Mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 08:26 AM   #3
Tal Inbar

Very nice!!

Do you have a special cabinet for it or you hang them on the wall?

Tal
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 03:29 PM   #4
scook17

How to display Soviet awards

Well, I've been wondering how to do this for some time. Here is what I did last weekend, that worked quite well.

Firstly I went down to the hobbies and craft shop and bought a picture frame, some glass, strong stiff card about the size of the frame and enough red felt to cover the card.

I then cut out the card to fit over the back of the frame, but leaving around an inch at each side. I then marked where the medals would go and cut a square hole for each medal, about where the medal pin would go. I cut the card with a stanley knife, to cut each hole.

I then got some 3M photo mount spay on glue and sprayed the card in order to stick the felt to the card. I also used to Aradite glue to stick the glass to the inside of the frame, and left everything to dry.

Once dry, I mounted the pins on the medal through the felt, using the holes cut in the card. I then fixed the card, with all the medal to the frame using drawing pins (so I could remove it if I ever wanted to).

I added some hooks and a bit of string and hung it on the wall, only to find the medals then hung out, so I added a couple of hooks to the bottom of the frame, so the picture frame sat out from the wall at the top AND the bottom.

Well, that was my first attempt. I think it looks ok. I'll have a go at mounting some more this weekend.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medals3.jpg (53.2 KB, 941 views)
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 03:35 PM   #5
Mahdi

Shane,

Very nice! We have very similar ways of displaying awards.

Tal,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I actually have some form of cabinet, that was modified in order to fit the board with the red velvet and awards on it. It's pretty big. I'll take pictures when I'm home.
Mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #6
jimfindlay

How to Display...

Tal,

And before any ones asks yes my widfe is very understanding and a dab hand with a duster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa.jpg (57.3 KB, 976 views)

Jim
jimfindlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 04:19 PM   #7
Art
Forum Founder

I second that! nice display jimfindlay!

Mahdi, looks like you've filled in a couple spaces since the last time you showed me your display..looking good!

Myslef, I really don't keep much on display, I keep most of my collection in cotton lined display boxes. I keep all paperwork in Mylar-D sleeves ( free of chemicals ) and the same for order books. I keep all medals in plastic sleeves so I can handle them and not worry about touching the medal. Not very elegant..I'm hoping to do something about that soon!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #8
Rick

How to display

Very impressive.... all of you... so far, mine sit in plastic and in the safe. I have run out of friends to show as many just fall asleep now when I start talking about them. My wife, from Latvia, thinks we all have deep problems with our addiction (smile). (I just think she is jealous since I have more Soviet orders and medals then she ever got while she lived there for 24 years!) LOL. oh, and she also agrees, the wives should definitely get together and form a support group. (I have found that if you buy them a new pair of shoes just before you tell them you are about to buy a medal for a few hundred dollars, it definitely helps.)
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #9
scook17

Skrabichewski (or anyone else),

I am curious to know how you had fixed the order booklet to the picture frame. The problem I found when I tried to mount my orders this weekend, was that I actually had some award documents for these, and I can't figure out how to attach or mount them without damaging them. Any suggestions?

Art,

I noticed you said you kept the medals in plastic sleeves, so you could handle them without touching them. This may seem like a dumb question, but does handling them cause some problem?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 02:13 PM   #10
Art
Forum Founder

Re: This is how I display mine

Looks great Dmitry! so this is how my awards are supposed to look

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote