The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-13-2003, 11:15 AM   #11
wheats101

Well, it has happened again!! I just picked up a registered parcel at the Post Office (from Lithuania) & once again, the package had been opened & inspected by US Customs. The only thing I can figure is that Lithuania doesn't require the same labeling as the US Post Office so as the package entered this country it raised some sort of concern. When we send the same type of package, a customs label is required.

David (wheats101)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 11:22 AM   #12
redstar_co

Yup. Thats how it still works there.
Back in a days you would just hang them 5 roubles and drive away
Old 03-13-2003, 07:24 PM   #13
Gene

I've been waiting very patiently (four and a half months now) for a 1941 dated fighter pilot's parachute that was sent to me at the end of October. I've been told by many that this is not an unreasonable amount of time; if it does get confiscated, I hope that Customs, either American or Russian, will contact me. My fingers are still crossed because I really want this parachute.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:26 PM   #14
tinmoldova
Banned

Gene,

I don't think 4.5 months is normal at all--even for overland shipping from the CIS. I would say 2 months for overland shipping; 2-3 weeks via air at best seems the norm. I hope the package arrives, but I think a Jan. arrival date would have been on the outer edge.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:43 AM   #15
vikingraider1

Here’s a good one.
A person I know is a keen Soviet aviation enthusiast tried to take an altitude metre out of a Russian Sukhoi fighter aircraft back home to England with him. All went well until he had a pretty bad experience at the airport. Apparently, the luminous paint on this alto metre was radioactive and several armed guards surrounded him when the x-ray showed a rogue item in his bag. The alarms were ringing all over the airport and it was almost evacuated. Apparently, they thought it was some kind of hand held nuclear weapon or something and led him away at gunpoint. He was questioned for about two hours and then released minus the alto meter. He has sworn never to take anything like that out of the country again!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 09:38 AM   #16
Gene

Can anyone suggest what recourse I may have to take? I've emailed the seller quite a few times but all he says is to be patient. Assuming Russian Customs seizes it, will it be returned to the sender? Will it be confiscated and then a letter sent out informing the seller of this? Any help or advice would be great. Thanx to all--

Gene
Old 03-17-2003, 09:48 PM   #17
tinmoldova
Banned

Gene,

I would consider this one a loss. I wouldnt think any notification of confiscation would go to the shipper from customs, unless the government decided to take him to court for attempting to illegally exporting banned items. Of course, in that case, his notification would come from the police, not customs.... "Be patient" in Soviet speak is like the "check is in the mail" to us--not a good sign after 6+ months.
Old 12-27-2003, 06:08 PM   #18
Tretov

Profit from postage cost - handling fee?

I am getting more and more annoyed over the way some sellers (mostly eBay but also other ones) treat customers, especially from overseas. I can tell from the beginning, to avoid confusion, that this does not apply any of you here in the forum.

First - about shipping rates.

The last week I have been "negotiating" with a company that sells various militaria. For two small items (two copies of HSU) I would be charged 9 USD shipping PLUS 2 USD handling fee. This was for normal 10 day air mail, which can be done for 4.75 USD according to other letters with similar items that I have recieved lately.

Another company, with a huge inventory of eastern bloc items, ask 30 USD for any overseas shipment.

A third seller asks "three time domestic shipping rate". This mean, that I would have to pay 15 USD for one book.

Most annoying, I think, is when I recieve the item. The USPS tend to have the paid amount stamped on the letter. More than once, this amount have been far lower than what I have paid. Who took the rest? The seller of course, and it was pure profit.

---

Second - what is a handling fee? I can't see the point, why do I have to pay the seller for buying from him? The grocery store on the corner does not ask me 3 euros fee (on top of the actual cost) when I buy my daily food, so why do I have to pay when buying things over the net? The amount I pay for the item itself should be enough "fee"! Or is the fee supposed to cover the work that the seller put in wrapping it? Then I would love to be a wrapping man, earning 3 EUR (or USD, whatever) per wrapped item.

What do you other people think? I am sick and tired of it, but what can one do?

/Patrik
Old 12-27-2003, 07:47 PM   #19
HuliganRS

Patrik,

You are not alone in this. On many ocasions I have paid a handling fee, a fee to cover PayPal fees the seller incurs even though the seller is not allowed to charge that. Many times I knowingly overpaid for shipping...

What can we do?

I can only suggest not dealing with those sellers, but that's up to you.

Rusty.
Member #193
Old 12-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #20
Dolf

I agree

Patrik,

I know exactly what you mean
I know who you're talking about when you say "they" charge $30.00 for ANY overseas order and I guess I know who are the other dealers too!
That is indeed revolting, disgusting, shocking!!!
But what can we do?!...
First: STOP buying from those dealers!
Second: spead the word around, so other European fellow collectors also stop buying from those "parasites"!
Third: Divulgate the names of good, serious, trustworthy European dealers among other fellow collectors from the "old world" so we can start order more often from them!

Thanks for your post,

Dolf