The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
EricFG

Re: Something nefarious, or just a grumpy ebay seller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDBANNER1920 View Post
Just felt like dropping in. But yes I have dealt with these types of dealers in the past as well. Now a days when it comes to Soviet items I wont buy from anyone from Eastern Europe period. There are just too many headaches once you go past check point charlie.
That certainly can be true and I understand the position you take. But...I've dealt with quite a few sellers from East of Check Point Charlie and aside from this one gent who started this thread almost all of them have absolutley great to deal with.
The way I see it there are scumbags in every corner of the world. With a little diligence it's usualy not too difficult to make them show their hand before actually buying.
Live and learn...
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #42
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Absolutely correct.

A few years ago, I bought a great deal from a dealer in the Ukraine. Higher end things and everything was spot on. He had an absolute zero tolerance on junk.

Talking about east of Berlin. I have been dealing with a certain forum member in Georgia and loved every minute!

I wouldn't buy from Israel though... Too far east...

Don't forget the western folks are usually middle men with their own additions to cost.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #43
deValcourt

I wrote to the fellow selling the "ORBL screw back." I just couldn't help myself. I, on the other hand, was no where near as diplomatic as Eric.

I saw that it was such an obvious fake that I wrote: "Are you aware that the item you are attempting to sell is not only a fake, but a very bad one made from a much later ORBL by someone hoping to find a fool and his money?"

He responded (apparently after not actually reading or understanding what I wrote: "Hello my Dear Friend
I am not the expert like you are and I am selling my collection and I have never written in auction description that the item is original . I remember clearly that I payed very decent money for it . You are telling me that I can not sell it . Who the freak are you ? I can tell you only one thing that I am not looking for a fool , they come up on their own with idiotic accusations . Please mind your own business."

And if this statement is taken at face value and nothing else, then he is admitting that he knows the item is a fake and is still hoping to find a sucker who doesn't notice (as he points out) that he does not list the item as an original and therefore it is the buyer's fault for bidding in the first place. You may also note that not once did I mention anything about him not having the right to sell it.

Regardless, he has several other crude fakes for sale at incredible prices (incredibly high) - including a Xth anniversary of the RSFSR Militia badge that is practically one piece, stamped with little maker marks added on the center area of the reverse. He actually says this one is original and made from silver with a "beautiful patina" - which is the green corrosion you often seen on most copper and many brass-based awards.

Well, "freak" you too, buddy. These purveyors of crap sure are sensitive about their fakes.

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 07-15-2012 at 12:07 AM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #44
Esteban_cool

Good to see you around again, Phil!
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #45
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_cool View Post
Good to see you around again, Phil!
Thanks, Esteban, but I'm not done yet.

I am posting the Xth anniversary of RSFSR militia in the fake section and should be easy to find without a link. The seller has escalated his insults to completely nonsensical variations of English insults from the 1950s.

Phillip
Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #46
Tommy

A little of topic, but an interesting thought.

I was speaking about E-Pay the other day with a colleague and said "Oh, i won X last night"

He replied, "you didn't win, you simply paid more money for it than anyone else."

This little saying reminds me that it's far too easy to get caught in the bidding frenzy and you should always stick to your guns and safely in your comfort zone!

Tommy
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #47
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

You certainly don't "win" at auction. Sell, bid and buy maybe and the house always wins!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #48
Auke

eBay, Selling, Buying and Issues.

Dear all,

I just wanted to open a topic about my latest eBay experiences. I wanted to liquidate a part of my collection, so I sold some 80 medals on eBay (and some in the marketplace here as well) during the last two months. Most transactions were completed without any problems, but I was surprised to see that quite a few transactions didn't go smoothly at all. In my auctions I clearly state that I require items to be paid for within three days. Since sellers can open non-paying bidder cases after just four days, that's not an unreasonable request I think. Plus, I'm always open to alternative payment plans - all buyers need to do is contact me.

Anyway, on Jan 12 I sold an order that wasn't paid for within my three-day period. After a week I sent the buyer a kind reminder, a few days later another one, and then I opened an unpaid item case. No money so far.

A buyer from Canada who won an order on Jan 15 sent me a few emails saying he would pay 1-2 days later, but no reply from him since. I'll open an unpaid item case this evening.

A guy from China paid after 19 days, only after I had sent him two reminders and told him I would open an unpaid item case in 48 hours.

And then there's another guy from China, who hasn't paid after winning a number of auctions 20 days ago. I told him too that I would open an unpaid item case in 48 hours.

And the list goes on.

More worrisome, though, is that this last buyer - who happens to be a forum member here with 107 posts to his name - opened an "item not received" case on an order he purchased from me earlier. He won a Mongolian order for $610 on Dec 22, paid for it through PayPal on Dec 27, and I shipped it that very same day (via registered mail). And now he wants a refund because he hasn't received the order yet. He claims he has contacted me repeatedly, but I haven't received a single message from him, neither a regular email nor an eBay message.

The strange thing is that eBay required me to respond to his claim on the German eBay, which is where he, apparently, opened the case, even though the item was listed on the American eBay and he is from China. I'm glad I speak German, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to find my way through the German eBay pages. Anyway, I provided eBay with the tracking number and I told eBay that the buyer never tried to contact me. Do any of you have similar experiences? Do I have a chance of winning?

Sorry for my long rant. The moral of the story: only sell on eBay if you have the time and energy to deal with nut jobs, and always send your stuff via registered mail.
Auke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #49
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Selling on eBay

I believe this "107" post member is "problematic" at best. If you look about ebay a little bit you will find he doesn't pay for much!
A few years ago (4-5 not too sure time flies!) I purchased a large number of Mongolian Orders/Medals from him. All "buy it now" on ebay. I purchased them all in one big flurry and paid within a couple of minutes of receiving my invoice (I was pretty eager to get them). After paying dozens of dollars postage (possibly over $50) I was expecting a sizeable package about 2-3 weeks later.
I only received the ebay confirmation that the items had been posted 15 days later! I put the tracking number in the China Post website but the site was in its infancy and was pretty useless.
Long story short. The items NEVER came and I received no refund.
I have seen at least one of the Orders being resold on ebay by a dealer in California so it certainly didn't get lost in the post!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #50
ericlida

Re: Selling on eBay

My friends
I am on eBay for more than 10 years
It has nothing to do with eBay or other ways to sell or buy.
There are honest and dishonest people in this world
Fortunately, there are more honest people
Regarding eBay.
eBay roles are excellent for buyers - 100% protection, if you know and follow the roles
eBay roles for sellers - not bad, but can be improved.
This is my personal opinion and experience.
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote