The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > People's Republic Of Bulgaria > Bulgarian Badges

Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
deValcourt

Badge "25 Years Of The Ministry Of External Affairs".

Here's one that is really a cross between a medal and a badge. I'm not even sure it was something given solely to MVR personnel since it is nearly impossible to tell what it is for until you see the reverse.

Thought: these could be post Soviet because of the lack of traditional imagery, but I doubt it considering the "age" of the materials and the lack of plastic.

Phillip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVR 25.jpg (62.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg MVR 25 rev.jpg (37.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by deValcourt; 03-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Badge "25th Anniversary Of The Ministry Of External Affairs".

Here is the Badge "25th Anniversary Of The Ministry Of External Affairs". Dating from 1972.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5252.jpg (66.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5254.jpg (75.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
deValcourt

Re: Badge "25th Anniversary Of The Ministry Of External Affairs".

Funny, but I never actually translated the text of the MVR's name before. I always thought (as I was told) that it was the "Ministry of Internal Affairs" rather than of "Foreign Affairs."

Now, I suppose I'll have to wait until I get home to find out what the letters in "KDS" actually mean:rolleyes: (and then post photos of their top medals and badges).

Phillip
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Министерство на външните работи and Министерство на вътрешните работи are two totally different Ministries.

The "top medal" for the KDS would be the "Hero Of The People's Republic Of Bulgaria" (not awarded to any KDS operative), other than that there are 4 Medals (3 long service and 1 commemorative) that actually mention the KDS by name on them. http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...-s-medals.html

LOTS more Bulgarian awards to come. Including a dozen variations of a Medal that so far has none reported.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
Министерство на външните работи and Министерство на вътрешните работи are two totally different Ministries.

The "top medal" for the KDS would be the "Hero Of The People's Republic Of Bulgaria" (not awarded to any KDS operative), other than that there are 4 Medals (3 long service and 1 commemorative) that actually mention the KDS by name on them. http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...-s-medals.html

LOTS more Bulgarian awards to come. Including a dozen variations of a Medal that so far has none reported.
Thanks for the info. I haven't really done much work with the language and am just sort of going on what I've seen.

The KDS badges I am talking about are the two types of badges given to agents much in the same way the KGB gave "Honored Member of State Security" badges. The first type was a badly wrought H&S with a downward pointing sword through it on a small background of a red banner over a blue "shield." The second was of another red banner over a blue "pool" or man-made pond but the sword is off to one side rather than in the center. Both have identical and far more common MVR versions, but these two have the Cyrillic letters for KDS at the base.

I don't want to post pictures here because that is not what the thread is for. When I do post them, perhaps I'll add a link to it here.

Good day,
Phillip
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

There are some real interesting Bulgarian Badges out there and often have a slight selection of variations as they evolved with the People's Republic. I suppose my favourites are the same as everyone else's - the earlier the better.

Each ministry and often districts awarded their own sets of Badges. The Ministry Of Transport offering a very large selection but this Ministry Of External Affairs offering a very small selection. Most Badges have their relevant documents but are often discarded by "collectors" and dealers focusing in on the big ticket items. These ministerial Badges can often be picked up for under 10 cents a piece and really enhance the field of collecting Bulgarian awards. Finding the documents especially documented groups of Badges can be considerably more difficult and often entails inquiring as they are usually not part of the "window dressing". As with everything else a single documented Badge may indeed be a "complete group".

These Badges can also be of an equal or greater quality to Medals or Orders of the People's Republic and have the fun of not only having to change with the coat of arms but also many ministries (like construction) went through name change after name change adding the rarities to the selections. http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...iev-popov.html is a fine example of such.