The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:25 PM   #61
Dave

Dat-

Another question... Do you think that these awards were given to "locals" from either Afghanistan or bordering countries? Or do you think they've just migrated down there from one collector to another?

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2005, 10:29 PM   #62
Dat Nguyen

Hangers

Art,

There are more Afghan medals for sale here than the Russian medals. The vendors are pushing the Afghan medals so they try to make the Afghan medals look complete with the pentagonal hangers. Every other Afghan medal has got a different ribbon. There are lots of long service Afghan medals for sale here.

On another note, there are lots and lots of fakes for sale here. You can see that there are rows and rows of British medals for sale in the photo. All fakes; good quality fakes. I think that they originate out of Pakistan. Also lots of very convincing US silver coins: quarters, half dollar and dollar pieces....all fakes. Lots of gullible folks here gobbling up the coins. I don't think that it will be that long before we start seeing fake Afghan medals.

Dat
Dat Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:41 PM   #63
Dat Nguyen

Medals at market

Hi Dave,

First let me thank Art, you and all the moderators that have made this forum such a success!!! I do enjoy looking at all the contributions from everyone...even from here in Afghanistan.

I do not know where these medals originate from. I would not be surprise if they came from Russians that lived here before the Talibans took over. I can try to ask the vendors this week when I see them. When the Russian pulled out of Afghanistan, there were Russians left behind. Some were gathered up and killed here at Bagram Air Base. There are some pretty greusome stories on what the GI's found here when they took over this air base.

Dat
Old 05-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #64
ekclete

I am still taken aback that there are medal collectors in Afghanistan!!! Military collecting seems like something the Taliban would have frowned on well unless you collect weapons that is.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #65
Dat Nguyen

Taliban don't collect... a la "Charlie don't surf"

Greetings,

I don't think that these Russian medals came from any collection here in Afghanistan. They were either abandoned by their owners when the Russian withdrew or came down via the trade routes the former Soviet republics to the north.

These vendors sell only to the foreign troops.

v/r
Dat
Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 AM   #66
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Nguyen
Hi Art,

Anyway, here is another observation that I've seen at every flea market in the world. When I pick up an item to look at it and then put it down at the same spot, why does the vendor immediately go to the item to "rearrange" its postition? As if the item is not in allignment with the universe or something.
Dat,

Funny, and I wouldn't be able to explain it, but I do myself the same thing when someone else takes one of my "babies" from one of my Displays to have a closer look...
I guess no one "rearranges" them exactly the same way I do, so I guess it's just a way to replace them at the very exact spot as I like to display them...

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #67
HuliganRS

Yeap!

Dolf does do that!

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #68
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuliganRS
Yeap!

Dolf does do that!

Rusty.
HA HA HA...

So you noticed it... LOL...

Dolf
Old 05-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #69
Dat Nguyen

GPS for medals

Hi Dorf,

I bet that you have a GPS coordinates for all your items

I am still looking for the ribbon that you've asked. Haven't found one yet, but one of the vendor will try to find one for you this Friday.

v/r
Dat
Old 05-24-2005, 01:42 PM   #70
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Nguyen
Hi Dorf,

I bet that you have a GPS coordinates for all your items

I am still looking for the ribbon that you've asked. Haven't found one yet, but one of the vendor will try to find one for you this Friday.

v/r
Dat
Hi Dat,

GPS coordinates, yeah I guess

Thanks a lot for not forgetting about that ribbon.
From what you tell above on this thread, and the pics posted, I guess it's gonna be an almost "impossible mission" but thanks a lot for trying.
Please PM me if any successful results.

Take care,

Dolf