The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Russian Federation > Unofficial Awards

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
medals73

Submarine Badges for ID

Can anyone give an ID (or even a guess) on these. Part of a group.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VVVbadges.jpg (72.1 KB, 14 views)
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
medals73

Re: Submarine Badges for ID

I should note that I have tentative IDs on the last two of these:

2- Twenty Years of Submarine K-424 (Squid) of the Northern Fleet, 1976-96. As this badge would have been issued about the time the boat was being broken up, this may also have the nature of a “farewell badge”.

3- Fifteen Years of the Nuclear Submarine Division of the Northern Fleet, 1978-93. Note that this is a Russian Federation badge (with restored tsarist eagle).

If correct, this leaves only #1. And this is the best scan I have in hand of that badge. And it isn't very good. Let me know if I need to get it back from storage and do better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VVVbadges-det.jpg (58.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by medals73; 03-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

#1 is a Badge of Olen'ja Bay Naval Base (Near Murmansk). As for a date I'm not sure as this sort of symbolism remained in the navy after 1991 so it could fall either side.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
medals73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
#1 is a Badge of Olen'ja Bay Naval Base (Near Murmansk). As for a date I'm not sure as this sort of symbolism remained in the navy after 1991 so it could fall either side.
Thank you! I have found

Olenya Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is consistent with my research which suggests the relevant boat (K-424) was attached to the 13th Submarine Division at the Gazhiyevo submarine base.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #5
rayfel

Unknown submariner badge

In 1993 I purchased this badge off the chest of a middle aged man in the the Military-Historical Museum of Artillery in St Petersburg. I assumed it was a Russian Imperial double eagle badge from pre-Soviet Russia. The man I bought it from didn't speak English, and I don't speak Russian so I thought he must have got it from an old relative. Times were hard and he wanted dollars and he signed $10, which I paid. I was actually looking for Soviet era submariner badges, which I later found in abundance in a Moscow flea market. Only recently I decided to research it. I've acquired both books that have been published on submarine badges (Thorton's and Prichard's) plus searched the web, and have found nothing resembling this badge. As for the badge itself, It is well made and very nicely detailed, the masts and guns (barrel and Breech) are not attached. The shaft and screw are also separately formed. It is obviously not cliché (a term I learned from Prichard's book) and appears to be a very fine solid lost wax casting. Does anyone recognize it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1687_2.jpg (33.2 KB, 10 views)
rayfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
rayfel

Submariner's badge

Does anyone recognize this badge? I bought it from a man who was wearing it in the Military-Historical Museum of Artillery in St. Petersburg, shortly after the fall of the Soviet Union. I assumed it was a Russian Imperial Submarine badge and realized that he was obviously too young to be the original recipient of the badge. I recently decided to research the badge and found it doesn't exist! The only Imperial submarine badge that I could find searching the web is the 1909 Imperial Russian Officer's Submarine Graduation badge, which looks nothing like my badge. I even purchased Prichard's book (Submarine Badges and Insignia of the World), seeing it referenced a number of times. No such badge in his book or many web collections I've viewed. As for the badge, It is well made and very nicely detailed, the masts and guns (barrel and Breech) are not attached. The shaft and screw are also separately formed. It is obviously not cliché (a term I learned from Prichard's book) and appears to be a very fine solid lost wax casting. Could it be from some other nation that used the double eagle emblem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1687.jpg (48.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1688.jpg (51.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

The Russian Federation now uses the double headed eagle. It sounds like you bought it in the RF. It may have been something considerably more contemporary than Imperial Russian. It also may be a fantasy piece - there are hundreds of them.

Looking more closely it seems to be a Soviet Submariner Badge that has had the red star removed and the double headed eagle added. Possibly a "transitional" piece, possibly made at home by a submariner wanting to show his loyalty to the new regime or possibly just made to sell to tourists.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #8
rayfel

I'm sure it's not a Soviet Submariner's badge with the red star removed and replaced with the double eagle emblem. I bought a half dozen of the Soviet badges while I was in Russia for my ex shipmates on the Hughes Glomar Explorer. We found a submariner's inspection kit with his badge and belt buckle in the wreck of the K-129, but of course could not keep any souvenirs. So I'm very familier with how they look and attach a couple of images of one I kept from my purchases. The screw stud broke off and I resoldered it. Also you can see that it is not nearly as detailed as the double eagle one. The screw on the Soviet one is missing contrasting with the well shaped one on the double eagle badge, and there is a web between the masts and the gun barrel. Also, you can see from the back side that the Soviet badge is cliché, stamped with a die, while the double eagle badge is solid lost wax casting. Why would anyone go through the effort to counterfeit something that doesn't exist?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0904.jpg (37.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0905.jpg (39.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #9
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

The quality and design of the Soviet Badges fluctuated. If you look into Soviet "Dembel" Badges you will find a lot of answers you are looking for. Everything from the pride of the Moscow Mint to something Drunken Uncle Boris made in his lunch break from scraps he found lying around.

So many items have been made that never "existed".
Old 03-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #10
rayfel

The quality of Soviet badges did fluctuate, but the basic design (except for color treatment) of the red star Soviet submariner's badge did not. All the ones I have seen, at hand, published and on the web match the basic design of the example I included in my post. As far as I can tell, the RF submariner's badge is identical to the Soviet badge, but without the red star. I suppose it could be a Dembel item. If so, someone went to a lot of trouble to fabricate it. Look at the detail of the wing feathers and the fact the the screw blades show an actual pitch. This was not scrap work by drunken uncle Boris. Still, for all my search I haven't found another example, Dembel or otherwise. I suppose I'll never know its origins.