The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #731
Alfred

Re: Where to buy good stuff for fair prices in Europe?

Knowledge is the key! Sometimes soviet stuff is sold for good prices, because the seller didn´t know what he sells/sold.

On the other hand, I saw a lot of "stupid" buyer on e-bay payping hundrets of euro´s for faked Red Banner "2" and "3" awarding.

regards
Andreas
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #732
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Where to buy good stuff for fair prices in Europe?

If people (who we have all seen) are willing to spend thousands of dollars on fakes does that mean the fakes are now worth more than the real ones?

The "New Jersey" dealer used to sell real Caucasus medals for $8 delivered or $25 for a copy... Work that one out! (You don't need to guess which one I bought)

If I wasted "money" on something that was pledged to me to be real but was fake and the seller wouldn't give me a refund I'd have someone pay them a visit, usually the government authorities of their jurisdiction. You'd be surprised how effective a well written letter describing the desecration of National glory sent to the right people/person can be.

Being selective and setting yourself rules and budgets is a great start even without too much knowledge. Certainly take note of sellers that have been named here as "dodgy" or "bad" though.

Don't rush the collecting, squeeze the trigger don't pull on it! People on this forum will be able to suggest dealers that they have had good and fair dealings with but I don't think there is anywhere out there where you could get everything a collector of Soviet awards could want in one deal. There is an item I'm stalking now and I just hope to have it within the next five years but if I jumped on all the items of this type I see for sale now, I'm either going to end up with a fake or paying far too much... Like the Guinness advert... Tick follows tock follows tick......

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-07-2011 at 04:36 PM.
CtahhR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #733
EricFG

Am I nuts?

I recently got a 432k numbered CSM for what I think is a damned good price; $31. It was awarded in mid-'43 at a time when medals were not yet being handed out by the millions and really brave deeds were being singled out.
But when I search for these somewhat low numbered awards, be they CSMs or BMs, I seem to see that medals that date from really late war (late '44 and '45) and even beyond go for the same amount or only just slightly less.
In my mind six digit CSMs and BMs are a lot more collectable because of the era that they were awarded for.
The T1 CSMs and BMs go for three or four times their T2's value and I understand that. But why would an unnumbered, or a 2m or 3m BM/CSM be so nearly equal in terms of perceived value?
Am I just a complete medal nerd now or have I, as I suspect, gone totally off the deep end?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #734
medals73

Re: Am I nuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
Am I just a complete medal nerd now or have I, as I suspect, gone totally off the deep end?
You raise a very interesting general question, and one I'd like like to see answered. But I fear we fall into error if we expect the consecutive issue of consecutively numbered medals.

However, to focus on your final question, these two options are not mutually exclusive. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

So, to answer your question: Yes. And you are among fellow sufferers of the same shared insanity.

Last edited by medals73; 10-13-2012 at 07:31 PM.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #735
Auke

Because these medals are that cheap, these price increases aren't always obvious. But keep in mind that late-war MCMs sell for $20-25, so your medal cost 25-50% more. Here it's not that obvious, but it shows more clearly with Red Banners for example: a late-war (250K) piece sells for about $250, and an earlier piece (100K) for about $375 (50% more).
Auke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #736
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
But when I search for these somewhat low numbered awards, be they CSMs or BMs, I seem to see that medals that date from really late war (late '44 and '45)
Eric, you discuss a lot and I couldn't discern the essence of your question, however to answer a technical question. Those six-digits awarded in late '44 or '45 were most likely awarded by lower activity units such as Karelian Front, Kremlin, Central Asian Military District who took comparatively longer to issue their assigned batches of awards than let's say the 1 Ukrainian or 1 Belorussian Fronts.
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #737
EricFG

I was just generalizing that 400k CSMs or BMs from '43 seem to be almost no more sexy than those with a 3 million plus serial numbers from post-GPW. Quite the opposite, I should've thunk.
Just rambling as I occasionally do.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #738
Rua
Banned

Value

hi all

I have just started collecting soviet awards as I have been collecting British awards for many years

I am curious in regards to what values soviet orders and medals attract

what would be of more value and what would there monetary value be

- type 1 medal for courage with low number as a single award or a later type higher numbered awarded to a HSU winner

- type 1 boarder reverse OG III or type 1 boarder reverse OG II

- single low numbered red banner or higher numbered red banner as part of group

Rua
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #739
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Value

Rua,

Welcome to the site!

Are you talking in hypotheticals or do you have access to any of the items you list? I will warn you in advance to do your homework prior to purchase.
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #740
Rua
Banned

Re: Value

Hi desantnik
thanks for the welcome

I am just trying to get a guide price on above mentioned items as I am interested in those areas so as mentioned looking for a guide price on them. I would certainly ask advise here before I parted with any money, just wanted to know in advance the guide prices

TY

RUA
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote